Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

V6 PP springs Vs GT springs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Default V6 PP springs Vs GT springs.

Are the front/rear springs on the 2012 V6 mustangs with the performance pack the same springs used on the 5.0 Gt's?

There seems to be some confusion and I'm looking for verification.
From what I understand they are the same exact springs and Im getting that info from M/T, Edmunds, Ford, Roush, and other forums that deal specifically with 2011+ V6 Mustangs.

from what I understand the PP is a mixture of GT and GT500 parts including;

GT front/rear brake calipers
GT front and rear sway bar
GT front and rear springs
GT500 rear lower control arms
GT front/rear struts & shocks
Boss 302 upper strut brace
19" wheels

I have a base 2012 V6 and I have a set of new take offs from a 2012 GT and im ready to swap parts. I assume the springs wont lower the car but should give a much more firmer ride.

any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Coil count, coil spacing, coil diameter. Measure these three things and you should be able to calculate if the springs are the same. Other than that, ask Sam Strano. I'm sure he would know.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Ok guys,

After some serious searching, driving around I found the answers......

Here are the part numbers from Ford for the 2011+ V6 performance package. These numbers have been both visually identified from a 2012 PP V6 and Ford parts catalog verified

Front Springs ~ BR33-5310-DB
Front struts ~ BR33-18042-BD
Front Sway bar ~ 34.6mm
Rear Springs ~ BR33-5560-CB
Rear shocks ~ BR33- 18080-BC
Rear Sway bar ~ 24mm

As you can see the rear springs on the PP are the same exact springs used on the GT. The front springs on the PP have a "DB" on the end and the GT's have a "FB" but same part number.... Not sure what the difference is however. The 2012 GT part number on the front springs are BR33-5310-FB

The PP uses the same struts/shocks as the GT. The front sway bar is also the same as the GT's....
Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Since there's a bit less weight on the front of the car, that may drive slightly less stiff front springs but still generate the same effect. Can't wait to try it myself!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
K98

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
Ok guys,

After some serious searching, driving around I found the answers......

Here are the part numbers from Ford for the 2011+ V6 performance package. These numbers have been both visually identified from a 2012 PP V6 and Ford parts catalog verified

Front Springs ~ BR33-5310-DB
Front struts ~ BR33-18042-BD
Front Sway bar ~ 34.6mm
Rear Springs ~ BR33-5560-CB
Rear shocks ~ BR33- 18080-BC
Rear Sway bar ~ 24mm

As you can see the rear springs on the PP are the same exact springs used on the GT. The front springs on the PP have a "DB" on the end and the GT's have a "FB" but same part number.... Not sure what the difference is however. The 2012 GT part number on the front springs are BR33-5310-FB

The PP uses the same struts/shocks as the GT. The front sway bar is also the same as the GT's....
I went through the same process and I am happy with the results.

FYI when I got my front springs there were two part numbers on them, the BR33-5310-DB on a factory label like the stock ones and BR3Z-5310-M on a Ford Genuine Parts label. I ordered it from the M number based on a parts lookup from a v6 PP VIN which matched what I found on the internet. Also, the part number for the front swaybar is BR33-5482-BE.

I got everything else except the rear swaybar from Roush Overstock on eBay. I still haven't upgraded the rear swaybar but based on how I like it so far I might not.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

If anyone has some GT suspension parts for sale, shoot me a PM. This base V6 suspension is dreadful.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

I have the FRPP V6 Handling pack available for 50% off retail + shipping.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/musta...mancepacks.asp
Shocks/struts/springs/GT500 mounts/strut brace. Once I pull the front/rear stabilizer bars/hdwr off, they will also be available. PM me.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by K98
I went through the same process and I am happy with the results.

FYI when I got my front springs there were two part numbers on them, the BR33-5310-DB on a factory label like the stock ones and BR3Z-5310-M on a Ford Genuine Parts label. I ordered it from the M number based on a parts lookup from a v6 PP VIN which matched what I found on the internet. Also, the part number for the front swaybar is BR33-5482-BE.

I got everything else except the rear swaybar from Roush Overstock on eBay. I still haven't upgraded the rear swaybar but based on how I like it so far I might not.
So pretty much what your saying is you replaced your front struts and rear shocks with the GT's and ordered new front springs from Ford, correct? Did Roush carry the BR33-5310-M's or was that from Ford?

I google'd that front sway bar part number and the first thing that popped up was Roush racing overstock OEM front GT sway bar....

How much did those front springs set you back?

Last edited by CaptainRon; 04-27-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 AM
K98

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
So pretty much what your saying is you replaced your front struts and rear shocks with the GT's and ordered new front springs from Ford, correct? Did Roush carry the BR33-5310-M's or was that from Ford?

I google'd that front sway bar part number and the first thing that popped up was Roush racing overstock OEM front GT sway bar....

How much did those front springs set you back?
I got the springs for $100 for the pair from my local dealer. From Roush I got the following as a package for $130 (no shipping, I picked them up.)

Front GT struts
Front GT springs (didn't use)
Front GT swaybar
Rear GT springs
Rear GT shocks

I added the strut tower brace for $150 & a set of new take off 18" wheels and tires for $650. I could have ordered the PP initially but I wanted to use 17" wheels for snow tires and I'd rather have the 18" wheels for summer.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Ok I went to my local Ford deal (who is also a Roush performance dealer) and ordered the two front springs, I gave the parts guy the #BR33-5310-DB and yes I too got the BR3Z-5310-M and they got me at $118 for the pair.
I already have the GT's shocks/struts from Roush so once I get the springs I'll go back to the shop and have them slap the parts on.

My next step is to order the GT's front brakes from Roush. And get the strut brace and GT500 LCA's from A.M. next week.

As far as sway bars I found this from Shelby and promptly ordered these http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT.../5s3z-5482.htm

and the rears http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT.../5s3z-5486.htm

Quick Reply: V6 PP springs Vs GT springs.