Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Toe settings for track events

Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Default Toe settings for track events

My 2011 GT is lowered on Steeda sports with koni yellows. I do 12 ish track days a year and want to set my alignment based on the track work. Right now my car seems to eat the outside shoulder of the tire.

So...

camber - -1.5
caster - don't know
toe - 0?

It's the toe setting I'm really unsure of. I want the car to be stable (+ toe) but I'd like good turn in and feedback (- toe). I think the GT spec is +.2, GT500 is zero, does any one know the Boss settings?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I found that tire pressures were the biggest single factor on wearing the outside of the tire.

That and going in too hard into really slow corners.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Tires pressures too low, or high? Probably too low, right. I run about 42-44 hot right now, which seems slightly higher than most, but only by 2-3 psi.

I do tend to enter corners hot, and carry my braking in a bit deeper than most. Maybe it's just bad driving!

What are your toe settings? How about pressures?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ansibe
Tires pressures too low, or high? Probably too low, right. I run about 42-44 hot right now, which seems slightly higher than most, but only by 2-3 psi.

I do tend to enter corners hot, and carry my braking in a bit deeper than most. Maybe it's just bad driving!

At TMP at the the hairpin just before the final series of turns onto the the main straight I learned not to go in too hard as it was just eating the left front. The tire was actually getting cupping after a few laps.

I run my Nitto NT01s, 275/30/18 on 18 x 9.5 rims, at 39 lb F/R hot. My toe is set to 1/8 in for stability on the straights.

The instructors keep telling me "in slow out fast" is the best way with a car like ours.

Are you going to TMP for the Exotic Car Day on Sunday May 27? Chasing Porsches, Vipers & BMWs is fun.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
At TMP at the the hairpin just before the final series of turns onto the the main straight I learned not to go in too hard as it was just eating the left front. The tire was actually getting cupping after a few laps.

I run my Nitto NT01s, 275/30/18 on 18 x 9.5 rims, at 39 lb F/R hot. My toe is set to 1/8 in for stability on the straights.

The instructors keep telling me "in slow out fast" is the best way with a car like ours.

Are you going to TMP for the Exotic Car Day on Sunday May 27? Chasing Porsches, Vipers & BMWs is fun.
Yes, I've been told "slow in, fast out" many times, but I seem to be a poor learner. None of my previous cars wore tires this way, even my rear drive 400 Hp BMW. I'm going to try reducing my toe to zero and see what happens.

You're running 30 series tires? Yikes. I guess the watts link helps deal with the sharper bumps.

TMP - probably not, Frank Ewald's track day at Mosport is the Friday before and I am going to that. I'm not sure I can swing two track days in one weekend and still be happily married.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

drop them down to about 38psi hot and it makes a world of difference. A friend just got back from running his 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca this past sunday. However our course is more road racing track covering 1.7 miles than a parking lot slalom course.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Yes, I've been told "slow in, fast out" many times, but I seem to be a poor learner. None of my previous cars wore tires this way, even my rear drive 400 Hp BMW. I'm going to try reducing my toe to zero and see what happens.

You're running 30 series tires? Yikes. I guess the watts link helps deal with the sharper bumps.

TMP - probably not, Frank Ewald's track day at Mosport is the Friday before and I am going to that. I'm not sure I can swing two track days in one weekend and still be happily married.
The Nittos are only track tires and fortunately TMP and Mosport are both reasonably flat.

I skipped Frank's day this year because of my trip to VIR. In my case it is not my wife that nags me about spending too much on tracks days - it is my RRSP account.

Right now I am planning to go to Mustangs At Mosport. Are you going to it?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
The Nittos are only track tires and fortunately TMP and Mosport are both reasonably flat.

I skipped Frank's day this year because of my trip to VIR. In my case it is not my wife that nags me about spending too much on tracks days - it is my RRSP account.

Right now I am planning to go to Mustangs At Mosport. Are you going to it?
Definitely going. See you there!