Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Third autocross

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Default Third autocross

Did my third autocross today. Did not fare well. Down near the bottom of the pack. Having fun, but it's discouraging when I see the times anyway. Did a novice school a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, didn't get to apply the learning immediately and the improvements I was making that day have dwindled. It will be over a month with work, vacation, etc. before I get another chance. Trying to keep telling myself, just keep having fun and don't worry about results. Just wanted to vent a bit. Got some great advice on the walk through, but when you're on the track less than a minute, there is so much to remember, it's hard to put it all together. I really have to admire the guys that are good at it, and it's amazing to see some of the novices that seem to just have a natural nack for it. Particularly have to hand it to Sam Strano. The Mustang is fun, but clearly not the best weapon for autocross. One interesting thing I've noted though is that I've seen quite a few Mustangs at each event, mostly pre-s197, but a few S197 as well, but NO Camaros!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:25 AM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Keep trying and it will eventually click. Having a good set of tires on a mustang really helps you put the power down effectively. Just keep talking to guys at the races and ask them for their advice on lines to take and braking points on the course.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
Keep trying and it will eventually click. Having a good set of tires on a mustang really helps you put the power down effectively. Just keep talking to guys at the races and ask them for their advice on lines to take and braking points on the course.
I have been autocrossing for a year and a half and I still mess up lines BIG time on the order of 2-3 seconds per course and it is enough to keep me from being in the top 20 in PAX. Tires are huge. I love my star specs even if they are too narrow and not THE street tire to have. I have been doing some data analysis with myself and my new set up to see in places where I need work to keep the car at the limits but ultimately it comes down to lines.

The Mustang IS suited for autocross once you get rid of some of the largest weaknesses like narrow hard tires, crappy dampers and copious body roll. Even with the weight we have the raw times are not far off smaller lighter vehicles. Some, yes. Will always be faster. You just need to play to the advantages of the car. We can get a lot of tire under our fenders, have great power and torque and can put it down very well coming out of a corner and that doesn't even mention anything resembling a straight line where we just eat other cars.

Locally, an F stock Shelby GT with national level driver is running half a second behind my buddies EvoIX SE in SM trim with a great driver, possibly national level driver. The SGT has less power, more weight, RWD through a live axle of all things (if you believe an IRS to be supperior) narrow wheels and soft spring rates. The ESP boys are about a half a second faster than his EVO on open courses and about the same on tighter courses. They can do it, I promise you! Hang in there!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Will do. Thanks guys. I had the sudden realization last night that I forgot to shut off the traction control. Doh! I found I was a lot quicker without it during the novice school.
I'm running 255-45-18 Nitto 555 all around with Koni STR.T shocks and Steeda sport springs and Steeda HD mounts and an adjustable panhard bar. Those changes made a bid difference from my first time with stock 235 all season tires and stock shocks/springs!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:44 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by safetyfastgt
Did my third autocross today. Did not fare well. Down near the bottom of the pack. Having fun, but it's discouraging when I see the times anyway. Did a novice school a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, didn't get to apply the learning immediately and the improvements I was making that day have dwindled. It will be over a month with work, vacation, etc. before I get another chance. Trying to keep telling myself, just keep having fun and don't worry about results. Just wanted to vent a bit. Got some great advice on the walk through, but when you're on the track less than a minute, there is so much to remember, it's hard to put it all together. I really have to admire the guys that are good at it, and it's amazing to see some of the novices that seem to just have a natural nack for it. Particularly have to hand it to Sam Strano. The Mustang is fun, but clearly not the best weapon for autocross. One interesting thing I've noted though is that I've seen quite a few Mustangs at each event, mostly pre-s197, but a few S197 as well, but NO Camaros!
Comparing myself to other drivers, I seem to be "faster" on the roadrace course than I am at autocross. But I enjoy both. I autocrossed my '06 GT yesterday and finished mid-pack, but I was on street tires so I was happy with the outcome.

I understand your frustration, but ultimately, as long as you're having fun then I'd keep on autocrossing. If you're not having fun, maybe try something new?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Comparing myself to other drivers, I seem to be "faster" on the roadrace course than I am at autocross. But I enjoy both. I autocrossed my '06 GT yesterday and finished mid-pack, but I was on street tires so I was happy with the outcome.

I understand your frustration, but ultimately, as long as you're having fun then I'd keep on autocrossing. If you're not having fun, maybe try something new?
Generally it's easier to go from years of autocrossing to roadcourse than to go from years of roadcourse to autocross. Attempting to be too smooth, and not being able to get "on rhythm" with the faster autocross course can be difficult for some roadcourse guys to get used to. One of local Boss 302 drivers did years of autocross and then stopped when he got into selling and racing Vipers and came back this year after an 8 year hiatus and he made similar comments about his performance as well!

Experience! I'm glad I seem to be going to "better" direction by starting in autocross and working towards roadcourse work.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Fridge56Vet
2nd Gear Member

As a fellow AX novice w/4 events under my belt, keep plugging away and having fun! Being forced into ESP w/the Shaker I'm basically racing myself due to my still stock suspension, but I relish the challenge of reaching the time goals I've set for myself. Also, i just realized I've been neglecting to disable the traction control - thanks!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

I went from autocross to road course driving several years ago and just did an autocross event with my son and his Mazdaspeed 3. I completely could'nt handle it. My rythm and reflexes were so slow. It seemed so much more intense as if I needed some Redbulls to get into it. Road course driving has taught me to be smooth and drive with my head and eyes up, thinking of the next couple turns. It is very different than autocross. If it was easy then anyone could do it and whats the challenge in that?
I feel lucky to participate in driving events with my son and when we drive the road course he is still in a slower group (props to pops) but he has the advantage of youth and will be moving up to my group soon.
Have fun, thats what its all about!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by safetyfastgt
. . . when you're on the track less than a minute, there is so much to remember, it's hard to put it all together.
Try drawing your own little course map during one of your course walks, including (roughly) the line. You'll then have something visible to refresh your memory from during the last minute or so before pulling up to the start for each of your runs, with some idea from any previous runs where to concentrate on. You might even find that the places that are harder to draw end up being the ones that are harder to get right when the clock is running.

Take advantage of any instructed runs that may be available - hunt down an instructor if that's what it takes. Normally, the instructor sits as a passenger and either coaches you as you go through the course or gives you a review once you're back in grid. The next step might be to let an instructor take a run or two through the course driving your car with you sitting in the passenger seat, where you'll at least get a glimpse of what the car is capable of beyond where you're currently able to get it. The smartest thing I did at a NASCAR driving experience was to take the 3-lap ride-along before my 8-lap drive (and ended up setting the fastest lap speed in the class as a result). There's no reason you wouldn't benefit from the same sort of thing at auto-X.

Autocrosses are generally laid out so tightly that the time it takes you to physically turn the steering wheel from straight ahead to wherever you need to get the car pointed really matters. Particularly with slaloms, you actually need to start turning the wheel slightly before you get to the cone you're about to make a turn at (around?) - and you have to count on tire slip angles and maybe a little sliding to keep you from hitting it instead. Takes some practice.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-06-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Campo 427R
I went from autocross to road course driving several years ago and just did an autocross event with my son and his Mazdaspeed 3. I completely could'nt handle it. My rythm and reflexes were so slow. It seemed so much more intense as if I needed some Redbulls to get into it. Road course driving has taught me to be smooth and drive with my head and eyes up, thinking of the next couple turns. It is very different than autocross. If it was easy then anyone could do it and whats the challenge in that?
I feel lucky to participate in driving events with my son and when we drive the road course he is still in a slower group (props to pops) but he has the advantage of youth and will be moving up to my group soon.
Have fun, thats what its all about!
i feel you on this. i used to just autox, then i started road racing for a while. then coming back after road racing just a couple time in a row the whole thing feels so damn spastic lol. im going to have to consistently go if i want to get better at it, but now i have my new svt focus to play around with at autox which will prob be a better, more competitive car to mess with