Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Replace or Reuse Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default Replace or Reuse Brake Rotors

With 58,000 miles on the clock I finally need to change my brake pads. I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to buy new brake rotors, or reuse the existing ones.

If I buy new ones, I'll be getting a set of Powerslot slotted rotors from Brenspeed.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

fronts or rears?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:53 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

My rears are the ones causing a problem right now, but I was going to change them all around.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:53 PM
B.Richards
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by acascianelli
With 58,000 miles on the clock I finally need to change my brake pads. I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to buy new brake rotors, or reuse the existing ones.

If I buy new ones, I'll be getting a set of Powerslot slotted rotors from Brenspeed.
Get them turned there is nothing wrong with them!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by B.Richards
Get them turned there is nothing wrong with them!!!!
I know that's the financially responsible thing for me to do, and I know that slotted rotors won't really do me any good; but I'm still considering the "upgrade" anyway.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you already know that slotted rotors won't change the brake performance. As far as looks go however, to me there is no contest - if you got the extra $ get the powerslots.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by acascianelli
I know that's the financially responsible thing for me to do, and I know that slotted rotors won't really do me any good; but I'm still considering the "upgrade" anyway.
It's only financially responsible if after cutting you still have more than minimum rotor thickness remaining.

Never mind that cutting the rotors removes some metal mass and essentially throws away a little heat capacity and fade resistance. This isn't going to be a simple "pass ==> fail" kind of thing unless you're extremely hard on your brakes and need to have a lot cut. But it is something to consider.

I've had really good experiences with the grooved ATE "Premium One" rotors on two different cars. The grooves may even be reducing the tendency for the rotors to get scored by helping to keep debris from getting trapped between the pads and the rotor faces.

Norm
Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I took my rotors to O'Reily to try to have them turned, they told me that their right on the limit of being able to turn. One of them has some pretty deep grooves and they said that they're fairly certain that it'll be well below the limit after then turn it.

So now I'm still stuck on whether I want to spend the $600+ to replace all 4 rotors and pads with Powerslot slotted rotors and ceramic pads, or just replace the rear rotors and pads.

The Front pads and rotors look to be in great condition still, no rust ridge and the pads still have a little over 1/4 inch left on them.

I'm still baffled that the rear pads wore out so much faster than the front.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'm betting that you leave the traction control on a lot of the time and drive hard enough to activate it.

Norm
Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Get some take-off OEM rear rotors from Roush off of ebay for $40 shipped, and then pick out an OEM-level pad you like and be done with it (might see if Roush has take-off OEM rear pads too). In theory you could do that for $100, and as a guy who has spent WAY too much money on useless car parts in my misspent (pun intended) youth, then you could allocate that $500 you save toward something else for the car. Or just keep it in your pocket. Not suggesting Powerslots and ceramics would be useless, but that it's essentially just a very small appearance upgrade which doesn't seem worth $500 to me. I have also become poor and cheap in my old age, so take it with that grain of salt. . .

Quick Reply: Replace or Reuse Brake Rotors