Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Not the typical suspension question..or is it??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

The D-specs are NOT soft. I am running Steeda Sport springs (not that stiff at 200F/175R) and on the roads around here, the word brutal is getting close to some of the worse sections of pavement. That is with them at full soft. I don't mind a firjer ride but when you ride worse than an FX4 F150 does it gets pretty old at times. My car is a DD and its bordering on too much. Either the D-specs are for stiffer springs or something else is really wrong...
Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Finally...some negative feedback! In reality that was kind of what I was looking for. I had originally planned on pulling the trigger by now, but I'm still fading and gathering more info before I make my decision.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

I took my D-Specs off because the ride sucked. I had Steeda ultralites and tried BMR springs. The BMR (with D-specs) rode a little better but truthfully it still sucked on the crappy roads around here. I ended up with Koni STR.T's. Much, much, much better ride for a daily driver.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

I have a couple months now on my adjustable Konis, from now on I will only have these on my Mustangs. The Konis totally changed the way my car handles for the better.

They aren't cheap, but they are worth the additional cost.

I would recommend not getting too stiff of springs for your convertible. Stiff springs and bumpy roads can reek havoc on a convertible's structure.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whiskey11
The D-specs are NOT soft. I am running Steeda Sport springs (not that stiff at 200F/175R) and on the roads around here, the word brutal is getting close to some of the worse sections of pavement. That is with them at full soft. I don't mind a firjer ride but when you ride worse than an FX4 F150 does it gets pretty old at times. My car is a DD and its bordering on too much. Either the D-specs are for stiffer springs or something else is really wrong...
It appears to be a difference in damping philosophy between Tokico and Koni and perhaps between Tokico and Bilstein even more so.

From direct personal experience, I can describe Tokico's somewhat older (adjustable) Illumina series, which are consistently harsh across at least two of the Japanese platforms (Mazda and Nissan). Needlessly so even at the full-soft setting. But as long as you can keep to decent pavement, they aren't bad at all.

It's not that the Tokicos have poor control. Quite the contrary, as they were the go-to shock before the Konis became available. So the low-speed control is there (I'm talking about shock piston speed here, not car speed).

What they don't do as well is kill off excessive high speed damping, which is exactly what things like concrete expansion joints, railroad grade crossings, and potholes and broken pavement keep hammering the shocks with.

I'm assuming that the D-specs aren't quite as bad as the Illuminas, and they may even be quite a bit better. But from Illuminas there is such a long way to go . . .

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-30-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think after hearing everything I'm going to go with the Konis...from what I gather out of the two the Konis are top shelf. To put it in my terms Tokico = Smirnoff & Koni = Grey Goose...am I right? lol

I mean when it boils down to it the price difference is about $50 if I factor in the remote adjusters for the Tokicos. With that being the case I've seen and read about Tokico warranty issues and other issues...I've never really seen that with the Konis. I read one persons personal hell of waiting over two months for a Tokico replacement, not to mention an actual vendor posted a hate filled thread directed at Tokico, i mean even looking at Tokicos replacement process you have to contact your vendor...amd if your vendor is unavailable it says to contact another seller..it doesnt even say to contact them! I mean I may be wrong, but thats what I read. So I am now more comfortable shelling out the cash to purchase the Konis. From what I gather they should go fine with my Vogtland lowering kit.

Last edited by Topless Stang; 06-30-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Just make sure you do not get springs that are too harsh of a spring rate.
With springs that have too hard of a spring rate there is not much that the shocks/struts can do to smooth it out. Too stiff od springs = always harsh ride.

When I did mine I went with FRPP springs with the softer spring rate & the Koni yellows (adjustable). With the Konis at full soft it is perfect for a daily driver in my opinion.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I pulled the trigger on the Konis last night. I paid $643 shipped to my door with a 1 year price garuntee. If I find it cheaper in a year I get the difference back plus a dollar, so I couldnt pass it up lol. The springs were already purchased. I bought the v6 Vogtland lowering springs. They're progressive and from what I read are good springs for a DD.

Front Working rate: 180-240
Rear Working Rate: 180-220
Old 07-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

I'm hoping to pair my Koni/Vogtland combo with Ford Racing (FRPP) M-18183-C 2011 Mustang GT500 Front Strut Mounts, a new Jounce Kit, J&M Adjustable UCA, LCAs, LCA relo Brackets, Adjustable Panhard & Eibach Camber Adjustment bolts. Also, are replacing the panhard & UCA braces required?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
It appears to be a difference in damping philosophy between Tokico and Koni and perhaps between Tokico and Bilstein even more so.

From direct personal experience, I can describe Tokico's somewhat older (adjustable) Illumina series, which are consistently harsh across at least two of the Japanese platforms (Mazda and Nissan). Needlessly so even at the full-soft setting. But as long as you can keep to decent pavement, they aren't bad at all.

It's not that the Tokicos have poor control. Quite the contrary, as they were the go-to shock before the Konis became available. So the low-speed control is there (I'm talking about shock piston speed here, not car speed).

What they don't do as well is kill off excessive high speed damping, which is exactly what things like concrete expansion joints, railroad grade crossings, and potholes and broken pavement keep hammering the shocks with.

I'm assuming that the D-specs aren't quite as bad as the Illuminas, and they may even be quite a bit better. But from Illuminas there is such a long way to go . . .

Norm
I have no doubt they work well at low shaft speeds common in autocross and roadcourse. If there is one area that I love them in it is autocross. The problem comes up when you can't find smooth pavement to daily drive on. The sections of broken concrete are about 20% of my ride to and from work every day so it is more tolerable from the home to work but the minute I have to go somewhere else to get Groceries or tools I end up with a much more "brutal" ride experience that is less than favorable.

Quick Reply: Not the typical suspension question..or is it??