Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need Help & Advice - About the pull the trigger on KW Variant 1s.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Question Need Help & Advice - About the pull the trigger on KW Variant 1s.

As the subject says....Coilovers....I'm looking to lower the car, strictly for looks.

Model: 2010 Mustang V6

A little bit about the use of my car:

It is a daily driver (ALSO WINTER DRIVEN) Strictly street driven, a lot of stop and go with no track/strip use.

Strictly looking for asthetics, seeking a 2-inch drop, not performance/ride quality....well maybe SOME ride quality.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the KW Variant 1s....but I'm just looking for some feedback, based on my use, as posted above. I'm specifically looking for stainless steel / reliable brand Coils that'll make it through the winter (will be oiled / rustproofed once a year (when changing to winter tires).

Will it be suitable for me? For my day to day use?
How about some of the complaints I'm seeing/hearing from others like "Thunking/clunking/pops" noises from the suspension itself? Is this true or a myth? Of course there will be a 1 year warranty on parts & Labor.

Will the stainless steel be good for Winter (Obviously going to get adjustable so I can raise it up accordingly when I do the sawp to Winter tires.

How will the ride quality be? I'm rocking Boss 339s 20 inch wheels right now?

Will a pothole / speedbump throw it completely off, destroy anything/ruin anything? Of course I'll do my best to avoid them accordingly or handle w/ care when I'm going up/down them.

Note: If Coilovers are a no go...My only other options are Eibach Pro Kit (Not enough of a drop) and will do shocks at the same time.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I want to get the most information prior to purchasing.
Also, if there are any other options / kits that would suit my needs, please feel free to advise/recommend any alternatives.

Thanks in advance gents,

T

Last edited by Toxix; 07-03-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Anyone?

Opinions/Thoughts?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Toxix
Anyone?

Opinions/Thoughts?
I think you will have a hard time finding people with opinions of these because this is a section where people devote themselves to corner carving and generally non-adjustable coilovers are a non-starter. Anyway, to answer your question, because of the drop you are looking for you will want to invest in the coilovers simply for the fact that coilovers are designed, hopefully, to work at the full range of ride height adjustment. KW being a company that designs quality bits of kit, most likely fits that description.

I would also strongly consider a bump steer kit and addressing some of the rear geometry issues that are going to crop up... lateral location of the axle, control arm angles, and the likes.

I strongly recommend that since you are going to be raising and lowering based on the season that you go with a Watts link to save a step in adjustment.

Just my $.02
Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

I cant offer my opinion on the coil-overs as thats not something I've done. However, I DD my lowered stang year round. I try not to take it out if I can help it, when there is excessive snow on the ground, but she does alright in the winter. Having said that, Im glad I stuck with the pro-kit, any lower and I couldnt imagine getting around in the snow. As far as summer driving is concerned, go as low as you want but just be mindful of how/ where you drive/ park. Where in T. are you?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drfister
I cant offer my opinion on the coil-overs as thats not something I've done. However, I DD my lowered stang year round. I try not to take it out if I can help it, when there is excessive snow on the ground, but she does alright in the winter. Having said that, Im glad I stuck with the pro-kit, any lower and I couldnt imagine getting around in the snow. As far as summer driving is concerned, go as low as you want but just be mindful of how/ where you drive/ park. Where in T. are you?
More so in the Mississauga area (Near Sq 1) Whos the ride quality on the Prokit?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

I went with the FRPP coils and Koni adjustable shocks/struts. I could not be happier with these. Not enough of a drop to screw up the steering.

You will have problems if you want to have different ride heights in summer Vs winter. The steering geometry and alignment changes with the suspension height, so you will have handling/steering problems in your "off" season.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
I went with the FRPP coils and Koni adjustable shocks/struts. I could not be happier with these. Not enough of a drop to screw up the steering.

You will have problems if you want to have different ride heights in summer Vs winter. The steering geometry and alignment changes with the suspension height, so you will have handling/steering problems in your "off" season.
Thanks for the response, to my knowledge (from the reading/research I've done thus far) When i do my Winter tire swap + readjust the drop I will need realligment, I'm prepared to do this, along side the reallignment.

I've decided to go ahead with the KW Variant 1s, will be rust proofing and maintaining them meticulously.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:58 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Toxix,
The ride quality with the pro-kit and dspecs is more firm than stock. Firm but not harsh. I live in Oakville; if you were still on the fence about what you wanted I'd let ya check out my setup, but alas it seems you've come to a decision. Let us know how it goes. That things gonna look awesome slammed!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:34 AM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

Eibach sportline will give you the 2" drop you want with great handling (even though you don't want it). They are also the lowest any aftermarket spring will take you. My car is pretty low and I would not want to go any lower in terms of daily driveability. Coilovers are expensive and adjusting is a pain!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

How much difference in ride height are you anticipating between summer and winter? 1"? 1.5"? More?

If it's not too great it may be possible to find a single setup that works at least reasonably well year round. What I'm getting at here is that there may be a camber setting a little more aggressive than stock for the summer, that will drop down to less aggressive than stock for your winter ride height when it can be expected that you'll be drving a little easier. Kind of a case of splitting the difference.

Off the top of my head . . . since you mention that performance doesn't have much importance I'm thinking that with a 1" summer to winter difference in ride height, setting summer camber to -1° and toe to just a tiny bit 'in' would work (your winter camber would end up somewhere around -0.5°). Neither setting is very far off from factory preferred, most peoples' driving can handle -1°, and having only -0.5° shouldn't bother you individually during the winter.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-06-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Need Help & Advice - About the pull the trigger on KW Variant 1s.