Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Where do you buy your race tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

Default Where do you buy your race tires?

Hey guys, I've been absent for a while but life has finally slowed back down for me and its time to start playing with the car again. I've been shopping around for a set of Hoosier A6s for F-stock autocross and haven't found very many websites that sell them. Where do you get yours? I'd be willing to buy used or new. Same with wheels... I want a good, light weight set but can't blow the bank on it. Where are your favorite places to look?

I recall hearing about a website that sells retired race tires and wheels... does anyone know anything about this? Thanks for the help!

-Adam
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 AM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

Bump. Anyone have anything for me? I found that ebay has a few and tirerack has them new... But I can't help but think that there must be other places to buy from..
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Tirerack is where I always go.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidas04
Bump. Anyone have anything for me? I found that ebay has a few and tirerack has them new... But I can't help but think that there must be other places to buy from..
What's up, man. Try looking over at www.bimmerworld.com . That's where I got my Continental race slicks, which were used exclusively for the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. They are Continental Extreme Contac R's or something similar. Don't remember for sure because I've been away from home for a while. However, $75 a pop for 275-35-18's which only had 1 heat cycle on them, and it was from testing. Matter of fact, when I got them in the mail they were tagged with "Barber Motorsports Park", which for some reason I thought was cool. Probably most likely indicating that's where they were tested.

You can also try looking at www.racejunk.com. It's like a ebay of sorts for all kinds of race materials...to include tires.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 PM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moochman4life
What's up, man. Try looking over at www.bimmerworld.com . That's where I got my Continental race slicks, which were used exclusively for the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. They are Continental Extreme Contac R's or something similar. Don't remember for sure because I've been away from home for a while. However, $75 a pop for 275-35-18's which only had 1 heat cycle on them, and it was from testing. Matter of fact, when I got them in the mail they were tagged with "Barber Motorsports Park", which for some reason I thought was cool. Probably most likely indicating that's where they were tested.

You can also try looking at www.racejunk.com. It's like a ebay of sorts for all kinds of race materials...to include tires.

Hope that helps!
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks! Any others out there?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:09 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Hope that helps!
where on bimmerworld do they sell the tires? didn't see anything about used tires on there only new
Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
where on bimmerworld do they sell the tires? didn't see anything about used tires on there only new
Looks like the only thing they have left are 17's:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/contine...sed-p1380.aspx

However, you can also check out www.racejunk.com, www.racingjunk.com and www.jbracingtires.net for more.

Here's the thing I found with trying to find scrubs: it actually takes a little effort to try and find what you're looking for. If anyone thinks they'll find a one-stop shop, Tirerack-type store for things like this, good luck...at least to my knowledge. It's going to take some emailing, some phone calls...not just a couple clicks and add to your "cart".

Hope that helps.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Looks like the only thing they have left are 17's:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/contine...sed-p1380.aspx

However, you can also check out www.racejunk.com, www.racingjunk.com and www.jbracingtires.net for more.

Here's the thing I found with trying to find scrubs: it actually takes a little effort to try and find what you're looking for. If anyone thinks they'll find a one-stop shop, Tirerack-type store for things like this, good luck...at least to my knowledge. It's going to take some emailing, some phone calls...not just a couple clicks and add to your "cart".

Hope that helps.
ah i didnt even notice the clearance/used section. that explains it lol
Old 09-09-2012, 09:30 AM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

mooch, thanks for all the information. I'll be emailing and calling these places and see what I can find over the next couple months.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:56 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidas04
mooch, thanks for all the information. I'll be emailing and calling these places and see what I can find over the next couple months.
Hey man, no problem.

I want to mention one more thing: none of these tires come with a warranty or guarantee or anything. Sold as is. They're used, you know? I mention this because when I bought my first set, it turned out one tire produced a slow leak as my set sat in my garage waiting for my next event. I couldn't find the leak, so I figured it might have been an issue with the tire not being seated right on the rim. Pulled it and re-seated...still the same thing. I was ok with the leak initially because I only paid $75 per tire vice $300-400 new. After a while, though, I started worrying about what would go wrong while I was on track cutting corners at high speeds. Just spend a few more dollars to replace the one with another that only had a few heat cycles on it...after spending some time making calls to make sure I got the one I wanted.

Just sayin'.

Hope everything turns out...have fun!

Quick Reply: Where do you buy your race tires?