Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

non lowering upgraded suspension?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Chassis bracing can do wonders.

www.kennybrown.com

http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue...ehicle=2011-ON

Also I would put poly bushings everywhere you can.
This would include the front and rear sway bars
and the pan hard bar.

www.prothane.com
www.energysuspension.com

What rim size and profile tire are you running?
I went from a 215/65-16 on a 16x7" rim to a
275/40-18 on a 18x8.5" rim and that made a
big difference without changing the height of
the tire and throwing the speedo out of whack.

Roush springs and shocks have the lowest cost,
the least amount of body drop and the best
handling for the buck out there.
I dont 'bottom out' anywhere within reason.
www.mossmuscle.com
www.mustangsunlimited.com
Attached Thumbnails non lowering upgraded suspension?-springsshocks.jpg   non lowering upgraded suspension?-18s.jpg   non lowering upgraded suspension?-brace2.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 10-20-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I don't think I'd put 275 wide tires on wheels any narrower than 9.5". Not really enough support.

Norm
Old 10-20-2012, 02:49 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I have the stock 18" rims with stock 235/50ZR18 tires, they seem to work out pretty well, but definitely could be improved. , I talked to my wife, and she thinks the car needs to roll less, and dive less when we hit the brakes, and the opposite with the gas.
So overall I am thinking to upgrade I will need bigger tires/rims (traction), new dampers(controlling pitch), and sway bars (body roll). Then when I get rich I can get chassis stiffening, new bushings, and maybe an exhaust or other power adders. Seems like I have enough power now, but who doesn't want more right?
Thanks again for all the help!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:17 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ticopowell
I have the stock 18" rims with stock 235/50ZR18 tires, they seem to work out pretty well, but definitely could be improved. , I talked to my wife, and she thinks the car needs to roll less, and dive less when we hit the brakes, and the opposite with the gas.
So overall I am thinking to upgrade I will need bigger tires/rims (traction), new dampers(controlling pitch), and sway bars (body roll). Then when I get rich I can get chassis stiffening, new bushings, and maybe an exhaust or other power adders. Seems like I have enough power now, but who doesn't want more right?
Thanks again for all the help!
Not a problem, let me know if I can help you with anything else.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ticopowell
It will be a while before I do anything, but when I do get a suspension upgrade done I want to reduce roll(sway bars if I understand correctly), reduce nose dive while breaking(dampers?), and I am guessing new tires will help keep the back end from sliding as much around corners(and keeping my foot out of it), but will anything else help with that suspension wise? Thanks for all the help!
Here's a quick write up I did on the suspension upgrades I added to my car. Basically, if you subtract the k-member and lowering springs, this is what I'd recommend for you.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-package.html
Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I don't think I'd put 275 wide tires on wheels any narrower than 9.5". Not really enough support.

Norm
The manufacturer shows 275s fitting 8.5" rims.
And there is plenty of support.
Slam it around corners on a daily basis.
Wearing straight across with normal 6000 mile F/B rotations.
I drive it like it has 275s and I stole it.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
The manufacturer shows 275s fitting 8.5" rims.
And there is plenty of support.
Slam it around corners on a daily basis.
Wearing straight across with normal 6000 mile F/B rotations.
I drive it like it has 275s and I stole it.
As good as that combination may feel and generally behave, you're still leaving some easy performance pickings on the table.

Even if you're talking about 275/45-18's (recommended for 8.5" to 10.5") instead of 275/40-18's (for which the recommended width starts at 9" minimum).

OP has emphasized handling and not even mentioned appearance or ride quality, so there is no reason to recommend anything narrower than the "measuring width".

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-25-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Maybe I am missing something.
I had 255/45-18s and went to 275/40-18s
and did not notice any sacrifice in handling
but just the opposite, tighter cornering
with less tire squealing.
But without doing extensive (and expensive) research,
I just dont know.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Mostly it'll be as slightly "softer" cornering response. Even though the ultimate grip may still be there or even ultimately a little higher, it won't turn in quite as quickly. You'd notice this more at autocross - or when having to very suddenly swerve to avoid pieces of truck tire or other debris - but perhaps not under less strenuous conditions.

Basically, the tire tread is free to distort laterally and rotationally about the vertical axis more when the rim width is narrower than the "measuring width" but less so when the rim width is wider.

Differences in tire construction and compounding can count for similar or even greater differences in cornering response, particularly applicable if your two tire sizes were from different tire mfrs. I've noticed a substantial difference in response in same-size tires on one of my other cars.

Norm
Old 05-09-2014, 03:02 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Default good old thread resurrection

Hey all,
I am not sure about lowering or not right now, but I did get new tires. 255/45zr18's on my stock rims... old tires ran out at about 32k.
I have had them on for a day, and after the new tire grease got worn off they felt pretty grippy. The tires are the BFGoodrich G-force Sport Comp-2.
I should be able to start upgrading things this summer, and I might go to an autocross event next weekend, so are there any recommendations for what to "fix" first? or should I go race it there and see what I think I need after?
Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: non lowering upgraded suspension?