Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

non lowering upgraded suspension?

Old 05-09-2014, 06:01 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Drive the car with it the way you're already familiar with - IOW don't do anything beyond maybe airing the tires up 2 or 3 psi. Right now, the car is faster at autocross than you are and it'll go easier if you're not trying to learn the car all over again at the same time you're getting familiar with autocrossing. Hint - nothing in street driving even comes close to how busy you'll be for the 45 seconds of a typical autocross run.

If they offer instructed runs where an experienced autocrosser rides along with you, take them up on it. Even if it takes a few times for whatever your instructor suggests to sink in, you'll still be learning faster that if you were trying to learn it all on your own.

Norm
Old 05-09-2014, 11:26 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

What Norm said.

I'm the eager novice who modifies the car far beyond his own capabilities, and it shows. Learn the car. It is much faster than you are if you are inexperienced.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:14 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I figured I would review this thread again and give everyone an update, I did autocross and had a lot of fun with it. And now I changed cars to a 14GT with an MT and the Brembo package. I have autocrossed both cars now and between the experience, and the much better car I improved by about 2-3 seconds... There was another guy with a 14 GT with the Track Pack, and he has a lot of racing experience, so he was consistent and for me a good comparison... at least I think so .
And yes, the car can handle a lot more than I can, and I still have a lot to learn before I need to upgrade. I still plan on it at some point, but probably going to save up and do it right the first time. Also with the Brembo package I don't think I will need springs still, these are better than my old cars springs therefore they still can outperform me lol.
And sorry for bringing up an old thread again, but wrote it so that's ok right?
I will need tires soon, somehow these new summer tires aren't holding their tread as long as they did when I drove an automatic.
Well everyone enjoy your week!
Old 01-10-2024, 08:42 PM
Smiley Carter

Default Looking to improve handling without lowering the car

Hello everyone. I need your experience and ideas. I have a 2007 Mustang GT convertible with 85,000 km / 52,816 mi.

My car is used for family outings on sunny days but also for inspired sporty driving on small roads with a lot of curves (when I am alone on board). It's comfortable for gentle family hikes but I find that the car behaves like a trampoline and is not reassuring when cornering. The roads are not very good in my area and to get out of my garage I cannot lower the car. My goal is to find a compromise that allows me to maintain a certain comfort and at the same time have much better handling. All this without lowering the car. Is it possible?

I thought of :

1- Change the original dampers (which are surely tired due to age) for KONI Special Active (which seem to promise comfort and handling. OR Koni SRT.T

2- Install Eiback or FRPP anti-roll/sway bars (they are the same I think) for convertible.

What do you think?

Has anyone tried the Special Active vs SRT.T?

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions!

Smiley