Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

coilovers! H&R or Eibach??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You like the height adjustability, right? Well yeah, then you need coil-overs for that.. but they cost money, money that could be spent on better dampers which is better for how the car drives vs. how it looks. You need to make some tough decisions.

I'm more function over form, so I'd spend money on Koni's, nice springs, have a bunch left over to maybe have more fun parts added like swaybars or a Watts link.

"coil-overs" are not magic. They are shocks, and springs. They just happen to allow height adjustment, but do not necessarily have damping adjustment, and that is what is critical in making a car feel different.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DTMR
Well I like the idea of coilovers because i like the adjustability, and like I said handling is most important (I wanna keep up with tuners around curves) but wouldnt adjustability be good for when I want to go from one thing to the other? More so than just springs and dampers?
There's no one-size-fits-all setup, that's why sam keeps begging you to call him. But one thing I want to point out is that it's not as hard to build a dual purpose car as you might think. You can lower the car and still have decent traction on the dragstrip. Just don't go too stiff on the springs and they'll still allow the car to transfer weight, even if it's 1-1.5" lower than stock. Adjustable dampeners give you some ability to tune for street, strip, or cornering.

I was in a similar situation as you, and I chose Koni Sports, UPR/Eibach lowering springs, and GT500 strut mounts. I have found that even though the springs dropped my car 1.5", their progressive rate still allows a decent amount of weight transfer on a drag launch. And the Konis are VERY easy to adjust (takes 2 minutes or less) if you want to gear them toward drag launches or cornering.

Is this the hot setup? No. But for me, I was looking at coilover kits that started at $2000 and went WAY up from there... and the simple fact is, I'd spend $2-4k on a forged shortblock before I'd spend it on dampeners. Don't get me wrong, quality coilovers are NICE, but there is a diminishing return (on a stock-ish streetcar) when upgrading from the Koni/Eibach setup I have to like a $4-10k coilover setup. So for me, I compromised by going with a roughly $1000 setup and spending other money elsewhere on the car.

I'm not saying this is what you need, but I'm quite impressed by the combination of straight line grip and cornering grip I have on my car. So it's something else for you to consider.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You like the height adjustability, right? Well yeah, then you need coil-overs for that.. but they cost money, money that could be spent on better dampers which is better for how the car drives vs. how it looks. You need to make some tough decisions.

I'm more function over form, so I'd spend money on Koni's, nice springs, have a bunch left over to maybe have more fun parts added like swaybars or a Watts link.

"coil-overs" are not magic. They are shocks, and springs. They just happen to allow height adjustment, but do not necessarily have damping adjustment, and that is what is critical in making a car feel different.
Youre right about that, but I want to have a fully-tuneable suspension which is why I am so into getting them, or else I wouldnt care as much I am a very into function over form, I have barely touched anything that wasnt performance related so I feel like a decent priced coil over kit like the R1s may be a good choice for me so I dont run totally broke from it but I gain at least some adjustability to play around with
Old 10-17-2012, 06:45 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
There's no one-size-fits-all setup, that's why sam keeps begging you to call him. But one thing I want to point out is that it's not as hard to build a dual purpose car as you might think. You can lower the car and still have decent traction on the dragstrip. Just don't go too stiff on the springs and they'll still allow the car to transfer weight, even if it's 1-1.5" lower than stock. Adjustable dampeners give you some ability to tune for street, strip, or cornering.

I was in a similar situation as you, and I chose Koni Sports, UPR/Eibach lowering springs, and GT500 strut mounts. I have found that even though the springs dropped my car 1.5", their progressive rate still allows a decent amount of weight transfer on a drag launch. And the Konis are VERY easy to adjust (takes 2 minutes or less) if you want to gear them toward drag launches or cornering.

Is this the hot setup? No. But for me, I was looking at coilover kits that started at $2000 and went WAY up from there... and the simple fact is, I'd spend $2-4k on a forged shortblock before I'd spend it on dampeners. Don't get me wrong, quality coilovers are NICE, but there is a diminishing return (on a stock-ish streetcar) when upgrading from the Koni/Eibach setup I have to like a $4-10k coilover setup. So for me, I compromised by going with a roughly $1000 setup and spending other money elsewhere on the car.

I'm not saying this is what you need, but I'm quite impressed by the combination of straight line grip and cornering grip I have on my car. So it's something else for you to consider.
I am probably not going to drop my car more than 1.5 inches actually haha (I have long tubes) and if i wasnt looking for coilovers id probably get that blistein suspension setup. But thanks for the info, maybe there is hope for me afterall haha
Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Begging him to call me? Well, I think it'd be wise to use the resources available to help, but I've got plenty to do if he doesn't want to do that. I just want to talk to him about the best options for what he wants. I think that's only smart.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Begging him to call me? Well, I think it'd be wise to use the resources available to help, but I've got plenty to do if he doesn't want to do that. I just want to talk to him about the best options for what he wants. I think that's only smart.
I just want to take the time to thank you again for your patience yesterday and explaining everything to me.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I just want to take the time to thank you again for your patience yesterday and explaining everything to me.
No problem... I'm glad you did call since you had some misunderstandings about which coil-overs did what, etc. That's why I ask folks to talk it over. Helps eliminate mistakes.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:03 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

I want to get some coilovers this week, I was thinking either the H&R RSS Club Sports or the Eibach Pro Street. Does anyone here have them? WHich is better?
Check out our coilovers and let me know if I can help you with anything: http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-s...er-system.html

The springs are made in the USA and we use Tokico D-Spec dampers. It's just a quality coilover system at a great price.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:33 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

No problem... I'm glad you did call since you had some misunderstandings about which coil-overs did what, etc. That's why I ask folks to talk it over. Helps eliminate mistakes.
Im hooked on the KWs now, but I just need an extra couple of weeks to save the extra money up so I can get my variant 3s. I still get the full lifetime warranty if I order through you right
Old 10-20-2012, 01:03 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Check out our coilovers and let me know if I can help you with anything: http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-s...er-system.html

The springs are made in the USA and we use Tokico D-Spec dampers. It's just a quality coilover system at a great price.
What is the warranty on them?

Quick Reply: coilovers! H&R or Eibach??