Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front end noise. STILL

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Do you have a CAI and Tune? If you don't, those should be next on your to do list. You will DEFINITELY feel the difference
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Islands

Originally Posted by jpplaw
Do you have a CAI and Tune? If you don't, those should be next on your to do list. You will DEFINITELY feel the difference
Not yet. I'm gonna get the Steeda CAI combo from AM in the upcoming months.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM
AntoThoro

Originally Posted by Islands
I have this REALLY annoying noise coming from the front end. It sounds fine normally when driving down a paved road, and when turning the wheel left and right. The noise seems to happen mostly when going over small bumps. rough roads, driving down dirt roads (at any speed). Also when the tire drops down (such as hitting a pothole or driving on uneven pavement). I was driving through the Wal Mart parking lot the other day (with the uneven square concrete.) and it sounded like my front end was going to fall off. -_-..

The best way I can describe the noise is a "clunk" or a "thud". It sounds to me like a worn out piece of rubber in between two pieces of metal that has a lot of pressure put on it when going over bumps. (But I'm no expert).
Could you tell if it was coming from one side or another?

Did it have a metal on metal sound at any point?

Could you reproduce it when going over the glued on reflective dots as part of the lane dividers?

I've been noticing a sound in similar situations that you describe... I've been trying to nail down the conditions and exactly what it sounds like.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:05 PM
luangtom

I got my 2006 Mustang GT w/75,000-miles on it back from a local shop yesterday. My thunk, clunk or rattle is gone! I had the noise whenever I would go over speed-bumps, driveway to asphalt cracks and small bumps. I went over things I could on these forums and took my list to the local shop, where the owner drives a 2007 Shelby Mustang. He has the same noises, but has not delved into them yet. He is going to now, after seeing what was wrong with mine.

I had asked about sway-bar-bushings, end-links and strut-mounts. Well, I saw all of these parts come out and most all were toast. The link-kits were worn and the boots torn. The sway-bar-bushings were squished to nothing and the strut-mounts were also toast. Hell, the bearings literally fell out of the one strut-mount. I had him replace everything, plus put new struts in while he was at it. He put it all in and took it to the alignment shop. No go......ball-joints were bad. They are integral in the LCA, so those units were both replaced, too, to facilitate an alignment.

You would not believe the difference in handling and sound....there is no sound, rattle or thunk at all now. It drives tighter and has no sound, like a new car, and this old Pony has 75-K on it. I am a happy camper! Hope this is useful to others that have the aggravating noises in their front-ends.

Last edited by luangtom; 12-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Islands

3. Found worn out balljoints. - Upper left and right balljoints replaced. (According them them vehicle is NOT operating properly at this point. Recommended I take it to the body shop to have the frame checked.)
There are no front upper L + R ball joints.
This function is performed by the upper strut mount bearings...
Old 12-15-2012, 12:46 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
There are no front upper L + R ball joints.
This function is performed by the upper strut mount bearings...

Yeah the ball joint part of the LCA is what causes a lot of noise. I started with the strut mounts, replaced with GT500 ones. Noise was still there. One of them was even busted with bearings spilling out of it, yet it did not cure the noise.

Replaced the LCAs with GT500 pieces and all the noise stopped. The stock bushing in the ball joint section just doesnt cut it.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:05 PM
DPHC13
1st Gear Member

I have done everything to eliminate the CLUNK. The only thing that worked on my 2008 GT was to replace the shocks and struts with 2013 parts. This replaces the the strut bearings as well. This WORKS.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Islands

@157db I know. I corrected myself later in thread. I was just confused from shuffling paperwork. I replaced the LCA and strutmounts with the GT500 parts and it MOSTLY eliminated the noise. I put on a strut tower brace as reccomended by another member and it made it even quieter. Hardly any noise now.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 PM
05WIMustang
1st Gear Member

Have 72k or so on our Mustang it really is pretty quiet. I dont know what was done before 60k, but looking at the parts, and reviewing lot/build dates on parts, they look original.

Am I on borrowed time? Seems like lots of cars (here on the forum) have entire new front ends by 72k.....
Old 03-03-2022, 02:46 PM
drivendaily_yeg

I made a YouTube video that addresses all the different sources a front end clunk can be coming from. I have a lot of experience with these issues in S197 mustangs so I hope this video helps people:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8B8X8...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: Front end noise. STILL