Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front end noise. STILL

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Islands

Default Front end noise. STILL

Hey guys... Pretty new with this.. (These forums and mustangs).

Car: 2006 Mustang GT. (63,000 MI)

I have this REALLY annoying noise coming from the front end. It sounds fine normally when driving down a paved road, and when turning the wheel left and right. The noise seems to happen mostly when going over small bumps. rough roads, driving down dirt roads (at any speed). Also when the tire drops down (such as hitting a pothole or driving on uneven pavement). I was driving through the Wal Mart parking lot the other day (with the uneven square concrete.) and it sounded like my front end was going to fall off. -_-..

The best way I can describe the noise is a "clunk" or a "thud". It sounds to me like a worn out piece of rubber in between two pieces of metal that has a lot of pressure put on it when going over bumps. (But I'm no expert).

My dad has a 2005 GT and his car had the same problem at just 13,000 MI. After going through over $3,000 in front end work. (covered under warranty.) his problem was finally fixed.

I've taken it to two different Ford dealerships with no luck. The second time the recommended I take it to a body shop to have the frame checked, so I did. The body shop did a full inspection and found nothing wrong. Below is a list of the things I've already had done to the car to try and fix it with no success as of yet. Keep in mind the car is no longer under warranty so it's all out of pocket.

1. Ford found lower sway bar links worn at bushings. - Lower sway bar links replaced. (According to them vehicle is operating properly at this point)

[2 days pass]

2. Performed chassis ear diagnostics, found noise coming from strut bearings. - Right and left upper strut bearings replaced. (According to them vehicle is operating properly at this point)

[4 days pass]

3. Found worn out balljoints. - Upper left and right balljoints replaced. (According them them vehicle is NOT operating properly at this point. Recommended I take it to the body shop to have the frame checked.)

[This puzzled me. Why would my frame be making the noise?]

4. Taken to a local reputable body shop. (No problems found with frame. Confirmed the noise, but couldn't isolate it.)

I'm really at a loss for what to do here. I hope this was descriptive enough.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Islands

Bump.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:49 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

You do not have upper balljoints. If that dealer told you they changed them, and they charged you for it, then they ripped you off. Chances are they didn't change anythng else either. Make sure the sway bar links are torqued correctly to 89 ft/lbs. If those are good then the next likely culprit is the strut mounts - make sure the big strut nut is torqued correctly, 46 ft/lbs. If that doesn't do it, then replace them with GT500 mounts (the 18183C versions) or Steeda mounts if you have the cash. Remember, you might have bad ball joints still and those are usually changed by swapping out the complete control arms. For those, replace with the GT500 arms, that way you get new bushings too.

Last edited by jpplaw; 11-04-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Jpplaw pretty much covered all the basics.

That being said, my car made the exact same noise. I thought something was ready to fall off the car. It was simply a loose swaybar endlink.

You can easily do that yourself with 2 wrenches (I foget the sizes). I just made it real good-n-tight and it resolved the issue immediately.

Edit: Do you have the "upper balljoint" repair on paper or receipt?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Islands

Hey guys, thanks.

You're correct, they were the lower the ball joints. I must have gotten confused flipping through all the paperwork.

Are these the strut mounts you recommend? http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-g...tV1&adtype=pla
Old 11-05-2012, 05:14 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Yes, those are the ones
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Islands

Originally Posted by jpplaw
Yes, those are the ones
Would those be available through Ford by any chance? Are they just stock replaces for the GT500?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Islands

replacements*
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Ford will charge you three times the price AM is asking...for the IDENTICAL part.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Islands

Originally Posted by Derf00
Ford will charge you three times the price AM is asking...for the IDENTICAL part.
I imagine you're thinking list price.

I get a lower price since I work at a repair shop.

Quick Reply: Front end noise. STILL