Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

coilovers! Kw variant 3s or eibach multipro R1s

Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Default coilovers! Kw variant 3s or eibach multipro R1s

I talked to sam strano about this already, he convinced me that the best way to go are the v3s and he is right. I finally saved up enough with my christmas money to order them and I plan to but they are very expensive. The v3s have independent rebound and compression, and a lifetime warranty. the eibachs have compression and rebound in the same setting, are about 600 cheaper, and do not carry the same warranty. Do you guys feel the same? Is it worth it for the v3s? I need something I can adjust between drag racing and autocross but handling is most important to me.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Remember I carry both... The R2's are the Eibach's that are more 'equivalent' to the V3's, with the independent controls etc.... and like you'd expect they cost more.

I'll tell you this. I'd sooner run Koni's and good lowering springs then run compression and rebound linked dampers (especially with only 7 settings total).

I hate to say it, and it's not 100% universally true, but is 99.5% true... you do get what you pay for. There is a reason better products cost more. Better development, support, flexibility, etc.

I'm looking at your mod list. You could have gone with cheaper headers, cheaper cat-back... What did the carbon fiber air tube get you the regular plastic one wouldn't have other than some bling on the looks side? But you stepped up and none of those things have the performance difference that better dampers do.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:50 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Remember I carry both... The R2's are the Eibach's that are more 'equivalent' to the V3's, with the independent controls etc.... and like you'd expect they cost more.

I'll tell you this. I'd sooner run Koni's and good lowering springs then run compression and rebound linked dampers (especially with only 7 settings total).

I hate to say it, and it's not 100% universally true, but is 99.5% true... you do get what you pay for. There is a reason better products cost more. Better development, support, flexibility, etc.

I'm looking at your mod list. You could have gone with cheaper headers, cheaper cat-back... What did the carbon fiber air tube get you the regular plastic one wouldn't have other than some bling on the looks side? But you stepped up and none of those things have the performance difference that better dampers do.
Yeah youre right. Im strongly leaning towards the kws.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Uncoolron
1st Gear Member

No personal experience with both but heard lots of good results on V3. I would have gotten the V3s if I don't have a good suspension set up already.

I would say, go for V3.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:55 PM
tr3flip

I've personally ran both KW V3 and the Eibach Multi Pro R2. In an apples to apples comparison I'd say the Eibachs would definitely outperform the KWs in any application.

KW V3s have been around longer and they perform great. Some things I didn't like about the V3s are the adjustments. The adjustments aren't precise and it's hard to tell where your adjustments are after setting them. These are also a twin tube shock. Under extreme race conditions these shocks will heat up much quicker than a mono tube shock and lose consistency. Not that big of a deal but the KWs also come without upper mounts. Most will probably buy a Maximum or GC mount anyways.

The Eibachs have precise clicks with each adjustment. And even with only 7 rebound and 10 compression adjustments you really feel a difference in each click made. The Eibachs are made in the USA and are mono tube. A company like Eibach isn't going to put out a cheap two way coilover with the reputation they have in the motorsports world.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM
silverstang23
2nd Gear Member

I have the v3's and love them. Feel free to pm me about my experience