Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Falken Azenis FK453 Tires???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Default Falken Azenis FK453 Tires???

So, after almost 30K miles, it's time to retire the stock Pirelli P-Zeros on my '12 GT Brembo. I've been doing a LOT of searching and reading on different tires and frankly, after ALL of it, I might just stick with the Pirellis. Thing is, I know that they are "summer only" but there are times, like this past week, that I had to drive the car in the snow/ice and it's just plain scary.

I'm looking for something that has close to the same summer grip that the stock Pirelli's have but also has a little more of an all-season ability to them and maybe even a little better wear. Price; I'd like them to at least be a LITTLE cheaper than the $360ea for the Pirelli P-Zeros.

I read the promo material on the Falken FK453's but couldn't find any reviews from customers.
I also looked at the GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymetric All-Seasons.

So, question is out to you guys and gals. If you were replacing your stock tires on YOUR Brembo car, (with the same size), what would you be buying?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I switched over to the pirelli pzero nero all seasons and have been really pleased with their cold, wet grip. I bought a new wheel/tire setup that came with nitto 555's and they hydroplaned badly in the rain, so I switched to the pirelli all seasons. temps have been around 40 degrees as of late and I've really wanted to put them through light snow and ice to test them, but we haven't had it yet. I have noticed some loss in dry grip though. I am contemplating if the cold/wet grip gains are worth it. I might be going back to a summer tire myself, since I can find a summer tire with better wet grip/hydroplaning resistance than the nitto 555's I had.

if I had to do all seasons it would probably be the pilot sport all seasons. they probably fair a little better in the dry/warm and seems like they can handle everything else. I am likely going with continental DW summers though, I have alternative means of transportation if needed when it snows. these are really well rated for what I find important in a tire. I live in Seattle, it rains a lot here, and I want to be able to put a lot of my power down still : )
Old 12-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

That FK453 must be a pretty new tire, as is the Asymmetric All-Season.

I wonder if the FK453 is an evolution from the older FK452 that was slanted a little more toward luxury than sport.

If the Asymmetric A/S is as good in the all-season category as the original Asymmetrics are for "3 season" use, it would be a solid choice.

So is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ (I have these as winter tires on my wife's Subie).

Another strong contender would be Bridgestone's RE970AS Pole Position (I have had its RE960 predecessor on a 2001 Maxima for over 30,000 miles and there's still plenty of tread left for coping with at least light snow).

Norm