Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2013 GT no straight line stability

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Karterfred88

Default 2013 GT no straight line stability

2013 GT Premium 19" tire option 850 miles. This thing has no, and I mean NO on center straight line stability. Requires constant tiny steering inputs to keep from looking like a drunk driver. I have checked pressures and different p/s modes -no difference. It feels like the car has no caster or SAI at all on center. Can't blame the roads, they are the same ones I drove 125k miles on with my PT Cruiser and my 63 Stude Avanti which has less caster and SAI built in, can be driven on the same roads with almost zero steering correction, and it's 50 years old!!. I will be taking it to the dealer to have the alignment checked but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. Is it possible the EPAS settings are out of spec. I drove 2 other GTs before buying this one, both of which had the standard 18" wheels and didn't feel this problem with them, nor in a V6 with the performance package and similar 19"s. Any suggestions on what I should have the service guys look at?
Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karterfred88
Can't blame the roads, they are the same ones I drove 125k miles on with my PT Cruiser and my 63 Stude Avanti
Your TP Cruiser and Avanti don't have tires as wide as the Mustang, it could very well be track steer/groove steer which is common with wider tires on worn out roads. I have 255 width tires it happens to me a lot on grooved out roads. I'd say find the nicest newest straight flat stretch of road and if it still does it then you may have a front end problem/
Old 03-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Karterfred88

actually the PT ran 215/50-17s Hankook Ventus V12s (plus sized for the GT) and the Avanti is running 225/55-15s.Neither of course has the huge positive offset that the Mustang has. It does it on the flattest smoothest roads so I'm ruling out road condition. I notice that regardless of direction turned the wheel never returns to center when released, always +/- 5 degrees off center in the direction I just turned, and I have to manually steer it to center the last 5 or so degrees. The smallest bump will disturb it and require correction, almost like bump steer out of control. I'm setting up an appointment with the dealer to look into it. I makes driving the car tedious, which is a shame, as turn in, cornering, suspension feel, engine response and the 6 speed are truly enjoyable.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

I have similar issues in my project car on grooved roads, man it is a nightmare. On my stock V6 she tracks as true as can be. Same width tires at 215 on both.

I don't think it would hurt to take it back to the dealer and have the alignment checked.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

It's the wide tires my Mustang wanders all over also you get use to it. The steering mode you have the car in also will play into that a bit. The sport steering mode uses less power assist so you will feel more of the rode and the car will wander a bit.

So if you are using spot steering that would explain having to recenter, the power only kicks in at lower speeds on sport mode.

I can assure you its not the alignment, its just the way they are.

Got the same issue with my 72 Mach 1 she has wide tires same issue.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 AM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

Don't agree that it's not the alignment. Have the toe checked.

Toe-out can have the car itching to dive into a corner. Very slight toe-in will give you the stability you're after.

FWIW, I'm running 255 front, 275 rear, very slight toe in, and have zero wandering issues.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

2013 GT Premium 19" tire option 850 miles. This thing has no, and I mean NO on center straight line stability. Requires constant tiny steering inputs to keep from looking like a drunk driver. I have checked pressures and different p/s modes -no difference. It feels like the car has no caster or SAI at all on center...
Originally Posted by DocSnickers
It's the wide tires my Mustang wanders all over also you get use to it. The steering mode you have the car in also will play into that a bit. The sport steering mode uses less power assist so you will feel more of the rode and the car will wander a bit.
Hello members,

My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I recommend you guys make an appointment with your Ford dealers and have them checked out. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 03-11-2013, 05:44 PM
SchneidyP4.6
2nd Gear Member

It's normal. Tracking/groove in the road.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Karterfred88

Thanks to everyone for your input. I am planning a trip to the Dealer but since I have less than 1000 miles on the car I am "saving up" my concerns in hopes that they can all be addressed in one visit. The selling dealer is about 1 1/2 hours from my home, so I don't want to waste the trip. Even with a loaner being available I'm not one to abuse the service department and hope to get everything corrected the first time, and I want to be sure a problem can be duplicated while the vehicle is there. I spent 38 years repairing vehicles as an automobile damage appraiser for insurance companies and I know how frustrating it can be for everyone involved to try and fix some problems. That being said, I have owned or driven 16 new vehicles long term (75,000 miles or more) and only one had a steering issue new, and that was due to a strut tower being off in producton causing the vehicle to make right turns on braking. Of course I'm hoping this fix will be alot easier.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Thanks to everyone for your input. I am planning a trip to the Dealer but since I have less than 1000 miles on the car I am "saving up" my concerns in hopes that they can all be addressed in one visit. The selling dealer is about 1 1/2 hours from my home, so I don't want to waste the trip. Even with a loaner being available I'm not one to abuse the service department and hope to get everything corrected the first time, and I want to be sure a problem can be duplicated while the vehicle is there. I spent 38 years repairing vehicles as an automobile damage appraiser for insurance companies and I know how frustrating it can be for everyone involved to try and fix some problems. That being said, I have owned or driven 16 new vehicles long term (75,000 miles or more) and only one had a steering issue new, and that was due to a strut tower being off in producton causing the vehicle to make right turns on braking. Of course I'm hoping this fix will be alot easier.
Thanks for the update, Karterfred88! PM me when you make your appointment.

Deysha

Quick Reply: 2013 GT no straight line stability