Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New Suspension - Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Don't be afraid of getting a PHB that requires you to disconnect one end to adjust, either. Once you dial it in - which might take two or three attempts - it's very doubtful that you'll ever change it again (unless you change rear springs again).

An on-car adjustable PHB with the adjustment smack-dab in the middle going loose concerns me from a structural perspective for more reasons than just the fact that it went loose on you. A symmetrical appearance is not the hot tip here.

Norm

Agreed.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pinn
I went with this one:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-adj...rce=igodigital

The install was a breeze and the adjustments can be reached easily.
But that one isn't the aluminum one with the dual adjustments. That's the one I had, and it was a pain in the *** to install. I eventually replaced it with a FRPP part that's configured like the one you installed.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

To the OP, this following are the suspension parts I've installed in my car over the last year:

Eibach Pro springs
Koni Str.t shocks/struts
Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates
Eibach adjustable sway bars
FRPP panhard bar
Whiteline Panhard bar brace
Whitelin LCA relocation brackets
SR Performance LCAs
Steeda front LCAs
Steeda bump-steer kit

I'm currently working toward replacing the panhard bar/panhard bar brace with a Fays2 watts link.

Camber bolts are sufficient for a lightly driving street car, but caster/camber plates are more adjustable in terms of tuning the suspension.

The rear LCA relocation brackets will allow more power to hit the ground because they correct the LCA geometry. I recommend getting adjustable rear LCAs if you get relocation brackets to avoid potential pinion angle problems when you use the brackets.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:22 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Don't be afraid of getting a PHB that requires you to disconnect one end to adjust, either. Once you dial it in - which might take two or three attempts - it's very doubtful that you'll ever change it again (unless you change rear springs again).

An on-car adjustable PHB with the adjustment smack-dab in the middle going loose concerns me from a structural perspective for more reasons than just the fact that it went loose on you. A symmetrical appearance is not the hot tip here.
I'm not talking about a panhard bar with the adjustment in the middle - I'm talking about the ones with the adjuster about a foot from one end.

The bar the OP cited has a dual adjustment, but both adjustments are right at the end of the bar. This design makes it impossible to tighten the lock nut whit the bar is on the car. Even locking it down when it's out of the car is a pain because invariably, you twist the end and it won't allow the bolt to go through when you try to put it in the car. If you force it, you will most likely loosed the lock nut again.

Like I said, the J&M aluminum panhard bar is a hassle. When you're under the car in 100+ degree heat, the last thing you need is a part that requires you to repeatedly get out from under the car to tweak it. The J&M Steel bar is only $10 more and is a better configuration.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM
jayman33
Banned

OP I shot you a pm.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Rears are all installed without issue. One of my STR struts was bad out of the box when I went to do the fronts so the fronts won't be done for Mustang Week as they are still backordered forever...
Old 07-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Slowpoek06GT
1st Gear Member

Norm
Norm-
Do you have a suggestion for what you mention above-- a PHB that requires disconnect to adjust? I like the J&M adjustable option, but am curious which you would recommend. Thnx-
Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

There used to be more, but I know UMI Performance still has one. Otherwise there are ways to pretty much lock one side of a double-adjustable/on-car PHB into a fixed position.

Norm
Old 07-12-2013, 07:00 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

You can use ours that way:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...rd-bar-05.html
Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Let's let the suspension get done and a few track days under OP's belt first. Cording sets of Hoosiers while you're still learning how to drive anywhere near that hard somewhere near right gets ex$$$$pensive in a hurry. Either that or you heat-cycle them out of their best grip without ever benefitting from it.

Norm

Quick Reply: New Suspension - Any thoughts?