Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

relocation brackets, adj lca's and squaring rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:39 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I'm tracking. I'll check all the measurements when I install them and make sure to post up my results. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I'm tracking. I'll check all the measurements when I install them and make sure to post up my results. Thanks for the info.
Be sure to have your front tires perfectly straight if using the rim lip as a measuring point.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:44 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Another thread with this issue, damn... I saw that post on SVTP so I ran outside to check and sure enough with my BMR LCA's and relo. brackets, my rear was .5 in up in the driverside than the passenger and my steering was off center when cruising. I went downstairs earlier to take the brackets off, and BAM. Gap is even on both sided and my steering wheel is centered.

Can these brackets really be that messed up? I would hate to have to sell my LCA's to buy adjustables just to use the brackets.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Another thread with this issue, damn... I saw that post on SVTP so I ran outside to check and sure enough with my BMR LCA's and relo. brackets, my rear was .5 in up in the driverside than the passenger and my steering was off center when cruising. I went downstairs earlier to take the brackets off, and BAM. Gap is even on both sided and my steering wheel is centered.

Can these brackets really be that messed up? I would hate to have to sell my LCA's to buy adjustables just to use the brackets.
It would seem so. I think my brackets are off 1/4 in, but that equals about 1/2 inch measuring between the front and back wheels. Or the brackets are off 1/8 inch and the stock brackets were all ready off 1/8 inch.

Either way, the gap is quite noticeable.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Entirely possible for it to be off, and it could be due to incorrectly drilled brackets, out of spec OE brackets that you're bolting to, installation errors, or any combination of all three. Half an inch off I'd tend to blame most of on installation.

An off-center steering wheel when driving down a straight level road is perhaps the easiest thing to notice. On adjustable-length LCAs, it only takes 1/8" LCA length difference to clearly show up at the steering wheel.

Given that adjustable LCAs all use firmer bushings or pivots than the OE LCAs, you might not want to set exactly the same pinion angle. Maybe just a little shorter than the OE LCAs for a little less PA is what you really want.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-05-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Half an inch off I'd tend to blame most of on installation.

There isn't any room for error during installation, they only go on one way and it's a tight fit. Also everyones axle is off the same amount and on the same side. It's also not limited to to one manufacturers brackets. Norm, have you installed anti-squat brackets?

I think a lot of peoples axle are crooked after installing these and they just don't notice. I'm not sure how your rear axle can cause your steering wheel to be off center while cruising. My steering wheel was off center when I changed my tie rod ends, but the alignment shop fixed that. The only time I really noticed the axle being off was during WOT, it would pull or rather push me towards the right. I thought my diff was just on it's way out.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
There isn't any room for error during installation, they only go on one way and it's a tight fit.
Depends on which direction is tight, the bolt to hole clearances, and on how well the relo bracket tab fits up to the back side of the OE LCA bracket. Any slop or fabrication error as seen from the side will move the relo bracket holes in the fore/aft direction and affect the axle's thrust angle.

If this is a consistent thing across several bracket mfrs, it would make me wonder if Ford had introduced a minor running production change that most of the aftermarket did not pick up on.

I think a lot of peoples axle are crooked after installing these and they just don't notice. I'm not sure how your rear axle can cause your steering wheel to be off center while cruising.
If they're crooked by anywhere near half an inch either the car was dogtracking straight from the factory with the steering wheel set straight or the folks'd have to be blind not to notice. Half an inch is nearly half a degree thrust angle and would probably be up near 45° wrong at the steering wheel.

When thrust angle is off, the car is dog-tracking and you have to steer the steering wheel out of its "straight ahead" position so that the front tires are back to being parallel to the rear tires. The whole car is running down the road at the same angle to the road as it is to the not-square rear axle. All four tires are running parallel to each other and obviously parallel to the road, but not parallel to the body. The two rear tire tracks are slightly offset relative to the two front tire tracks. If you're having to steer to the right to go straight, the rear tires are tracking to the right of the front tires.

I noticed this right away when I put the Currie LCAs in my car and didn't get them matched correctly. This was clearly noticeable at steady speed driving straight ahead (where I had to steer the wheel by 10° or so to the right) or following a very gradual left curve (where the steering wheel was then perfectly centered). I was off by 1/8", and one full turn shorter on the right side LCA adjustment on dialed out every bit of the error and I got my proper steering wheel orientation back. My LCAs are not on-car adjustable, meaning I had to disconnect one end to do this. The good thing is that the LCA settings cannot creep even if the jam nuts come loose.

If you think about it a bit, knowing which way the steering wheel is off tells you which LCA to adjust shorter (or which one longer if you prefer).

All of the above is why I won't ever suggest installing relo brackets without strongly urging adjustable LCAs.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-05-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:46 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

wow.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:29 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

If this is a consistent thing across several bracket mfrs, it would make me wonder if Ford had introduced a minor running production change that most of the aftermarket did not pick up on.
That is what I was thinking.

I think my problem is I don't drive on any flat, smooth enough roads to notice the car was dog tracking, now if it was this bad, I think i'd have paid more attention.

My CHE brackets did not have any wiggle room at all, the bolt holes just barely lined up enough to get them through.

Grabber blue, you sure escalated that post on svtperformance. Someone mentioned hitting the brackets with a big hammer. I don't think I would attempt that. Your more likely to damage the stock brackets.