Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Got screwed by a shop - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Cryptkeeper54

Default Got screwed by a shop - need help!

Let me start off by saying I love doing work on my stang myself but due to family priorities and time constaints, I took my car to a shop instead. Did my research and concluded they were reputable.

I spent big bucks on having my install done for my high end parts: kooks headers, strano sways, steeda hd mounts and motor mounts, koni yellows with struts to name a few.

Anyways, I find out after the fact that the owner gives the job duty to one of their "rookies" and doesn't bother to check his work. I took it back a second time to get a "clunk" worked out, only to drive it home to hear new rattles.

I decided to replace the front endlinks myself (installed the new versions), and no longer wanted to take my car back. Then this:

I noticed a comedy of errors but need to be validated by others before pursuing any course of action.

I was working on replacing my front endlinks to the newer versions and noticed my suspension install just didn't look right. I'm no expert so I referenced a few internet search results.

Questions: I'm missing my spring boots? Aren't they supposed to reinstall the factory ones on my steeda HD mounts?

Springs? Are they suppose to reuse the nylon covering on the bottom of the spring? If s, then what's the purpose of the clear nylon tube on the steeda ultralite springs?

Camber plates installed improperly? My left side arrows seem correct but my passenger side was way off.

Pics:

Name:  2013-04-01083128_zps00acb8a8.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  2013-04-01111950_zpsc9f46e73.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  2013-04-01112040_zps91ae405c.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  2013-04-01112114_zpsdd261c1f.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  2013-04-01112634_zps8934a46a.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  72.8 KB

Name:  2013-04-01142131_zps421bf345.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  110.4 KB

Name:  2013-04-01142159_zps6bcf9ee9.jpg
Size:  104.8 KB

Name:  2013-04-01155336_zpsf0039ddb.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  42.3 KB

Help!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Cryptkeeper54

Well, I sent steeda the pics and they responded right away. Install was wrong. I also checked my rear springs after reading tacobill's install thread and it was verified that they were installed upside down. Kinda tricky cause the wording on the spring is in the correct orientation. Still, no excuse for what this shop has done to my precious stang. Can't believe I have to double check all the work myself and they are the so called "professionals." It is what it is.

Name:  2013-04-02085821_zps7c9dd838.jpg
Size:  70.6 KB
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Lokota
2nd Gear Member

so they need to fix it free of charge!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Yep. It's time to take it back. I wouldn't be an *** though. You'll only get resistance from them, or a crappy fix of the problem. Explain the issue, and let them resolve it. Show them the info from Steeda to support your claims.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 AM
Cryptkeeper54

Originally Posted by jz
Yep. It's time to take it back. I wouldn't be an *** though. You'll only get resistance from them, or a crappy fix of the problem. Explain the issue, and let them resolve it. Show them the info from Steeda to support your claims.
True, but its hard not to be an *** when they've had my car for 3 weeks total and didn't catch the mistakes the second time I brought my car in. Not to mention not knowing how long I will be without my car again. I'll try my best.

Anyone know if a shop is obligated to obtain a car for you or pay car rental fees while they fix a problem on your car they should've done right the first time? Since I'll be out a car.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cryptkeeper54
True, but its hard not to be an *** when they've had my car for 3 weeks total and didn't catch the mistakes the second time I brought my car in. Not to mention not knowing how long I will be without my car again. I'll try my best.

Anyone know if a shop is obligated to obtain a car for you or pay car rental fees while they fix a problem on your car they should've done right the first time? Since I'll be out a car.
i dont think theyre required but they should def offer. and if they dont let them know you wont be coming back there anymore
Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

The rear springs are easy to fix if you don't want to bother with them. Just disconnect the rear shocks at the bottom, take the 10mm bolts off that hold the brake lines to the body (don't disconnect them from the brakes), and you can drop the axle enough to get the springs out and flip them over.

The front... that's the bigger issue. They didn't put your dustboots, or the bumpstops back on the car.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Cryptkeeper54

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The rear springs are easy to fix if you don't want to bother with them. Just disconnect the rear shocks at the bottom, take the 10mm bolts off that hold the brake lines to the body (don't disconnect them from the brakes), and you can drop the axle enough to get the springs out and flip them over.

The front... that's the bigger issue. They didn't put your dustboots, or the bumpstops back on the car.
Thanks Sam. I bought majority of these parts from you. Hope they're not damaged. Man I got screwed. I got to have a real professional recheck all their work. I'm bringing it in today and gave them a list of things to do. I don't think they actually know what to look for as if this is the first s197 they worked on.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I hear you on the family constraints and all but it can be done by ur self in a day. However, since you paid them, they should fix it free and give u a rental, although the rental may be tuff if they are not a ford dealer (which they must not be based on ur posts).

Everything needs to be rechecked and make sure things like the sways are tightened when the suspension is loaded.

You are missing several things that Sam mentioned and they could have been more precise on the front spring install, the old rubber piece is not to the end of the spring and the spring is not against the end of the groove.

Sorry about ur woes man.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Cryptkeeper54

Originally Posted by UrS4
I hear you on the family constraints and all but it can be done by ur self in a day. However, since you paid them, they should fix it free and give u a rental, although the rental may be tuff if they are not a ford dealer (which they must not be based on ur posts).

Everything needs to be rechecked and make sure things like the sways are tightened when the suspension is loaded.

You are missing several things that Sam mentioned and they could have been more precise on the front spring install, the old rubber piece is not to the end of the spring and the spring is not against the end of the groove.

Sorry about ur woes man.
Thanks for the heads up. What you mentioned has been brought to their attention and will supposedly be fixed today. A major reason I went to a shop was so I could use a credit card to pay for the big ticket job, which was the kooks headers install, as well as to track my purchases. I'll get everything rechecked by a ford mechanic who does side jobs when time permits. I have the cash for that.

I'm still debating what actions to take after all is said and done, such as giving bad reviews online.

Quick Reply: Got screwed by a shop - need help!