Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Will I regret going staggered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
beerman616
1st Gear Member

That's good to know. I doubt the car will ever see a track in the next couple years, so I feel better going with what looks cooler right now.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Minion
If I ever get on it....it will be in a straight line. I'm not too worried about corners, around town it will be normal driving.

I do love the idea of having some really wide tires in the back. I guess I'm concerned with wear. if they wear pretty evenly even with some time at the track then Ill be fine. I just don't want bald rears when the fronts have 5K miles left on them. and unless the trires (Nitto NT 555's) call for a burn out to warm them up...I will just bypass the water box and run it. I don't really have any desire to do burnouts ever. but I do like to take off the line quick...street light to street light
I honestly don't think there's any way you'll wear all four out at anywhere near the same time with that driving description.

The good news is that you won't have to pony up for four tires at the same time very often.

Originally Posted by moosestang
You can actually feel a traction advantage between a 235 and 255 tire?
Certainly can if they're different make/model tires.

Originally Posted by artdohc
Why do so many companies run staggered tires on their performance cars if it is a disadvantage? Why does the Boss 302 have a staggered fitment?
As mentioned, it's an easy way for the OEs to guarantee understeer, which is safer for drivers in general and even more so for those who get a bit too carried away with engine power.

Ford knows its customer base as a whole, knows that lots of folks with earlier year S197s have made their aftermarket wheel and tire packages staggered, and knows that outside of reasons involving forced induction it's strictly for appearance. And appearance sells because more people notice and understand it.

They crutched the Boss's tire stagger with "looser" suspension tuning, and some reports indicate that the car is a little tricky to drive way up around the limit with tires that say "understeer" and a suspension that's saying "let's get closer to oversteer". With these two items, having each crutch the shortcomings of the other isn't quite the same thing as the two of them working in harmony.

Consider that the 1LE Camaro runs better lap times than the Boss even though it is heavier with about the same HP. It runs 285/35's all around, with a 1" stagger in wheel width only as a nod to providing understeer from the wheel/tire package. The more extreme Z/28 also runs a square tire setup, with only half an inch of wheel width stagger.

Seems like more meat would be a good thing.
The key is "balance". More meat . . . in somewhere near the same proportion as weight distribution . . . sure.

But when you put the little tires on the heavy end of the car, which in the Mustang is also the end where front tire camber and grip both decrease as the car rolls in a turn, you are working the front tires harder than the rear tires every time. A little like intentionally underinflating both of your front tires by a few psi.

Originally Posted by beerman616
I'm curious about this too. I'm wrestling with going with a squared setup or staggered. I love the way the staggered setup looks, but I don't want to compromise the handling of the car if it is significant. On the other hand, the car is basically a weekend toy, and I doubt I'll ever really run it on a track. So, I'm not sure I'd even notice any handling disadvantages or not.
People are different, so you may or may not notice. In normal driving, you'd probably notice a difference in how crisply the car responds to you tuning the steering wheel before anything else.

Originally Posted by mayo
I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill guys. For everyday street purposes, staggering is not going to effect handling that much. If anything you will take advantage of the extra grip the fatties out back will provide from dead stop launches. The track under a stopwatch is another thing altogether, just ask yourself what % of your time is spent on the street and I think you will have piece of mind...just my 02.
In normal driving, it is more of a "feel" thing. This matters a lot to some folks, not at all to others. But a large enough amount of tire size stagger will feel clumsy to a lot of people.

Originally Posted by moosestang
Cuz it looks cool! I think the traction advantage of a wider tire is much, much less than people believe, given the exact same tire compound of course. I'm only speaking to straight line traction.
There actually is an approximate relationship between tire width and its grip. A 10% wider tire is worth somewhere between 1% and 2% better traction. From a source within the OE automotive industry.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-05-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:52 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I've had 275/40-18s all the way around and 255/45-18 & 285/40-18 on my car. It was definitely more balanced with the 275s, and I liked being able to rotate the tires. (I'm actually switching back to the 275s this month)

Two cents.

If you like the aesthetics of wider tires in the back, that's perfectly understandable.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:41 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

I miss my old staggered set-up. Loved the look of the 295 45 18 in the rear. I have 275 40 19.5 on the corners now and they look like bicycle tires. oh well.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loots06
I miss my old staggered set-up. Loved the look of the 295 45 18 in the rear. I have 275 40 19.5 on the corners now and they look like bicycle tires. oh well.
19.5?

i have 295 30 20's on the rear these look like rubber bands from the side lol. I will be going with a 28 incher for my next tire purchase instead of 27 inch in the rear, for more sidewall. i dont mind it that much though, rims look good and i think with a 28 inch tire the setup will look great.

Name:  Ofuz3.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  229.1 KB

fronts are 19x9 rear 20x10.5

Last edited by Andy13186; 04-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loots06
Loved the look of the 295 45 18 in the rear.
Originally Posted by Andy13186
I will be going with a 28 incher for my next tire purchase instead of 27 inch in the rear
Oh hell yea!