Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

'12 GT Brembo Brake pad replacement

Old 04-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Default '12 GT Brembo Brake pad replacement

With just over 40k on my car, it's getting time to replace the pads on my Brembo car. I'd really like to upgrade to a better pad and I'm quite partial to EBCs. Trouble is, other than from SummitRacing, I can't really find any replacement pads for less than $150. Anyone have a line on a vendor that has the EBCS Red pads for a decent price? I also checked my rotors and they are slightly grooved so I'll either need to have 'em turned or replaced with some drilled/slotted rotors. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 PM
AFMarksman

I also have Brembo brakes and I'm looking for new pads, and perhaps rotors. I'm not tied to any particular brand, but what are the options? Suggestions? TIA!
Old 10-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Drilled rotors are just for show. They tend to stress/heat crack at the holes after a few heat cycles.

The problem with turning rotors is that it makes them thinner thus more likely to warp. I don't know about any warping issues with the Brembo brakes but the non brembo OEM rotors tend to warp fairly easy after turning.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM
AFMarksman

Originally Posted by Derf00
Drilled rotors are just for show. They tend to stress/heat crack at the holes after a few heat cycles.

The problem with turning rotors is that it makes them thinner thus more likely to warp. I don't know about any warping issues with the Brembo brakes but the non brembo OEM rotors tend to warp fairly easy after turning.
Thanks Derf! Any pad reccomendations?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:53 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

I replaced my pads out with Hawk HP Plus pads because I do some dual track duty and of course I daily drive her, but if I were to do it again, I probably wouldn't do those particular pads because they're higher performance pads, that do squeak.

I'd probably recommend going with the HPS Performance street pads, or go with some Stoptech Performance Brake pads listed below. They're great pads that do well on the street, but also do very well on the track if that's your thing. I've also got options for rotors below too:

Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads Mustang V6/GT/Boss/GT500

StopTech Drilled Rotors: Mustang V6/GT/Boss/GT500

StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors: Mustang V6/GT/Boss/GT500

StopTech Slotted Rotors: Mustang V6/GT/Boss/GT500

Hope that helps guys! PM/email or call with any questions - 714.582.3330 extension 8002, or ask for Jurrian
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Don't get drilled rotors. Just useless. Slotted is fine though. If it took you 40k to go through OEM pads and you haven't tracked the car or used race pads, I doubt your rotors are in need of any work. Little grooves shouldn't hurt anything, it's when you get a notable 'lip' and can see definite wear where the pad hits the rotor vs where it doesn't that you need to mess with them. Or if they're 'warped'. For clarity, rotors very rarely actually warp, but pad material gets deposited on them unevenly so it causes the shudder that people attribute to warping. Stoptech had a nice technical paper about that on their site at one time; not sure if it's still there.

For pads, a superior pad that won't dust as much is the Carbotech Bobcat; spendy, but they make good stuff and will have better heat tolerance than OEM or something like Hawk HPS. I have no experience with EBC. Carbotech can be found on Carbotech's website, and Vorshlag may sell them too?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

First, I can get you front pads for less than $150, and more than one brand. I'll work on getting more on the website. I also have rotors to, if you need them. I'd not recommend drilled. Slotted is ok if you want. But drilled I'd steer you away from.

EDIT: Added some new pads, and split the listing to make it easier to find so you can just look up stuff that fits Brembo or non-Brembo calipers as far as the pads go. I also have rotors... I'll work on those next (and cleaning up the listings).

Last edited by Sam Strano; 10-15-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:17 PM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
First, I can get you front pads for less than $150, and more than one brand. I'll work on getting more on the website. I also have rotors to, if you need them. I'd not recommend drilled. Slotted is ok if you want. But drilled I'd steer you away from.

EDIT: Added some new pads, and split the listing to make it easier to find so you can just look up stuff that fits Brembo or non-Brembo calipers as far as the pads go. I also have rotors... I'll work on those next (and cleaning up the listings).
Hi Sam,

Which brake pads replacements, do you recommend for the stock Brembo pkg. that will be good for street and for the track?
Old 11-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Wow you dug this up from the past.

The only one I've found at all suitable for dual duty are the Ferodo DS2500's. I've tried others, including one set a few weeks ago that were gone in 3 35 miles sessions on a lighter Corvette (that's not any faster in a straight line and has some ducting).

The simple truth is street and track use are not the same. And what you really want for road courses in the most serious manner is not super street friendly, and nice street pads (no noise, low dust, etc) isn't really doing to last on the track.

The DS2500's are my favorite pads in any situation that is not simply hard track use. they are super easy on rotors, take a good amount of pounding, work cold, and have good power without being on/off. However, these cars are HEAVY and FAST, and the front brakes get a workout. Depending on where you run, how fast you car, how fast the car is, etc the Ferodo's might not hold up. If they can't, no street pad will, and you need to swap the fronts to a dedicated race pad for those events.

I have lots of pad options, lots of them. And to some degree it's like trying on shoes to find the right fit for your individual needs. I keep trying other things to see if I can find something better in the dual purpose realm. I have not yet.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:55 AM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Wow you dug this up from the past.

The only one I've found at all suitable for dual duty are the Ferodo DS2500's. I've tried others, including one set a few weeks ago that were gone in 3 35 miles sessions on a lighter Corvette (that's not any faster in a straight line and has some ducting).

The simple truth is street and track use are not the same. And what you really want for road courses in the most serious manner is not super street friendly, and nice street pads (no noise, low dust, etc) isn't really doing to last on the track.

The DS2500's are my favorite pads in any situation that is not simply hard track use. they are super easy on rotors, take a good amount of pounding, work cold, and have good power without being on/off. However, these cars are HEAVY and FAST, and the front brakes get a workout. Depending on where you run, how fast you car, how fast the car is, etc the Ferodo's might not hold up. If they can't, no street pad will, and you need to swap the fronts to a d
edicated race pad for those events.

I have lots of pad options, lots of them. And to some degree it's like trying on shoes to find the right fit for your individual needs. I keep trying other things to see if I can find something better in the dual purpose realm. I have not yet.
Yes Sam I'm an archeologist type
You always aim straight to the target.
How noisy are those pad brakes for city driving?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '12 GT Brembo Brake pad replacement