Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2012 GT TSB for EPAS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Ansibe
Josh, I have the same problem with my '11. Any luck solving it?
Hi Ansibe,

I recommend you have your vehicle diagnosed at your Ford dealer. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your advice, Deysha, but like Gonzo I have had my car in, the only result being "no fault found."

I have resorted to completely disabling my anti-lock, TC, and stab control. I am now driving a $30k fox body with 410 hp! The wobble persists, so my conclusion is that it is caused by the epas.

Does anyone know if the epas computer can be re-flashed? Would that be done through the obd2 port? I would like to try using a 2011 GT500 flash if that's possible.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

I seem to be the only one posting, which makes this pointless, but what the hell...

A few hours of internet searches, and I think I have found a solution. It seems Vorshlag has had the same problem with their 2011 GT, and eventually discovered that it's the .... steering rack! Replace the OE unit with the ($1000) Ford racing M3200-EPAS rack and the shudder is gone.

The stock rack has software (firmware?) to make your steering light at low speed and heavy at high speed, plus some funky drift correction stuff, and the bottom line is that it causes the shudder. The racing rack obviously does without the "comfort" software, and therefore no shudder.

It's a pity we can't just flash our epas with the racing program, but apparently you can't.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Thanks for your advice, Deysha, but like Gonzo I have had my car in, the only result being "no fault found."

I have resorted to completely disabling my anti-lock, TC, and stab control. I am now driving a $30k fox body with 410 hp! The wobble persists, so my conclusion is that it is caused by the epas.
I understand, Ansibe. I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

I seem to be the only one posting, which makes this pointless, but what the hell...

A few hours of internet searches, and I think I have found a solution. It seems Vorshlag has had the same problem with their 2011 GT, and eventually discovered that it's the .... steering rack! Replace the OE unit with the ($1000) Ford racing M3200-EPAS rack and the shudder is gone.

The stock rack has software (firmware?) to make your steering light at low speed and heavy at high speed, plus some funky drift correction stuff, and the bottom line is that it causes the shudder. The racing rack obviously does without the "comfort" software, and therefore no shudder.

It's a pity we can't just flash our epas with the racing program, but apparently you can't.
Yeah, I was about to post about the Vorshlag too. They have a video on the issue: http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=76

They simply replaced the steering rack as mentioned. Seems that if you change even just the bushings in the front control arms, it makes the stock EPAS go nuts. The racers were even experiencing this on the track cars, and that's why the FR EPAS is corrected. Don't know why Ford can't just come out with a re-flash fix for the factory ones.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Mustang Enthusiast
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boaisy
Yeah, I was about to post about the Vorshlag too. They have a video on the issue: http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=76

They simply replaced the steering rack as mentioned. Seems that if you change even just the bushings in the front control arms, it makes the stock EPAS go nuts. The racers were even experiencing this on the track cars, and that's why the FR EPAS is corrected. Don't know why Ford can't just come out with a re-flash fix for the factory ones.
Ford could come out with a re-flash fix but they don't want to because... A- it would actually cost them a couple dollars to do it <-- insert sarcasm here. And B- they are focused on on the new 2015 model. So their basic thinking/attitude is...thank you for buying our expensive Mustang, no we don't care about you or making a quality product, and by the way, don't forget to check out and buy our new 2015 50th anniversary Mustang.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Mustang Enthusiast
1st Gear Member

I am glad that you and Boaisy took the time to search the internet to uncover the problem. I have the same problem, but haven't had the time to get it to the dealership. Odd that an aftermarket company wouldn't sell a re flash to clean up Ford's slop. Also, electronics company's usually have online updates for their products. So why can't lazy Ford even put an update flash fix on their website for the consumer to download themselves with instructions on how to do the re flash. Or bring it to a dealership if you are experiencing problems.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Dr_Gonzo

Now that is interesting.....

When I made the service manager from my local dealer ride in my car with me driving (I was sick of "our tech can't duplicate the problem" dismissals), he told me that it was most likely in the steering rack but again, I was completely SOL since Ford wouldn't acknowledged the problem's existence.

Is there anyway to fix this other than replacing the entire rack? I was thinking about bushing and such.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Dr_Gonzo

Here is the quote from Vorshlag when they finally got rid of the shudder. I'm guess there's not a chance in hell Ford will ever go for this simple fix to this dangerous problem(it is terrifying under hard braking).

"For one "easy" payment of $999, our electric steering rack issues are a thing of the past. It is simply a stock rack that has been reprogrammed to turn off all of the auto-nibble-correction silliness. No other way to get this new programming other than to buy the new FRPP rack, unfortunately (we tried). Well, it does come on a Boss 302-S. I recommend this FRPP rack to any 2011-2013 Mustang driver that is experiencing this steering shudder like what I have documented in the videos from our 2011 GT. If you are experiencing these issues, you can try to take it to your dealership for reproduction and hopeful replacement, but we didn't have much luck there... "
Old 07-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

I guess you could get a 2011 GT500 rack, and have its updated software installed. Might be a bit cheaper, but there's lots of risk. I wouldn't want to be the first guy trying this! Vorshlag took the risk for all of us by installing the FRP rack. Thanks guys, I'll try and send some business your way.

Now if Ford would just acknowledge the problem, they could offer the GT500 rack, gratis...

I don't suppose anyone knows if the ECU for the FRP rack is bolted to the rack, i.e., removable? If you just replaced the ecu at least you could save the cost of the rack install and alignment.

Quick Reply: 2012 GT TSB for EPAS?