You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
I understand that the 18's are better performance wise, but I really like the look of the 20's. I am basically looking to see how drastic of a difference there is (performance wise) between the two. Specifically in turning/cornering, and pick-up. If there isn't a huge difference I will most likely go with the 20's.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members. Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Location: PA to KY ('07) to IL ('09) to MS ('10) to FL ('11)
20's are typically heavier than 18's so you're adding additional rotational mass. On a GT, a few people would never notice. But on your V6, you WILL notice any additional mass.
With 20's, you have less sidewall in order to maintain the equivalent OE outside diameter (O.D.). Less sidewall usually means a stiffer/harsher ride and will increase the possibility of a bent wheel from potholes.
Then there are those that think 20's on most Stangs look poorly (can you say clown car?). Of all the Stangs that I've seen with 20's, MAYBE 5% of them look appealing. Of the other 95%, all you see is wheel and then "oh, yeah, look there's a car attached to them". But then, that's just my opinion.
on your V6, you WILL notice any additional mass. Less sidewall usually means a stiffer/harsher ride and will increase the possibility of a bent wheel from potholes. Of all the Stangs that I've seen with 20's, MAYBE 5% of them look appealing. But then, that's just my opinion.
Everything you have said all makes sense, I read on another thread that 20's can drop down nearly 10 HP/TQ. When you say "harsher," how harsh are we talking? I feel like my suspension has always hit like a ton of bricks. (I would like to get air ride suspension eventually but that's a different story)
My opinion is any wheel above 19" is too much, as to air suspension, saw a thread yesterday of a black stang w/22", not pretty!
Of course the rim I want doesn't come in a 19, If there was a 19 my decision might be a lot easier. (Tire selection factors in as well) And please, go on.. was it because of the 22's or the suspension? I think 20's are pushin it as is.. 22's on a Mustang is just stupid honestly.
Put at least 5 psi more in all of your tires and see if you can stand that much additional harshness. Make that closer to 10 psi more to see if you could stand it all of the time.
Appearance has to be your call and your call alone. With imitation 2-piece/3-piece styling, those would be too "busy" for me.Norm
Thanks, that sounds like a good comparison.
Well, IMO rims are a lot about appearance. What do you mean by "busy?" Would 2 or 3 piece rims perform differently than a solid piece? I know a solid piece would obviously be stronger but besides that what else?
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware
corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford
Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor