Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Alignment woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Default Alignment woes

Long story short, I hit a curb with my front left wheel a while back, and I can't get my alignment correct.

I've now had it adjusted twice, and it still pulls left above 60mph and vibrates when i correct it.

I've been taking it to Hibdon's tires plus, and they aren't exactly the top end of alignment services.

Is it possible I bent something? The wheel took some damage and was repaired, mounted and balanced. If I did bend something, what's the most likely component? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

First try this. Take you front wheels and switch them. See is the pull, moves to the other side. You may have a separated tire from the hit. New tire= all fixed. Oh and an alignment shop that knows what they are doing. That there is front end alignment 101. They should have known to do that right away. That is why I have my own Hunter alignment machine in my garage. LOL! No one knows how to really do alignments anymore.
If that does not work. Post and we can go to the next step, but I bet that is the issue.
Matt
Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dencon
First try this. Take you front wheels and switch them. See is the pull, moves to the other side. You may have a separated tire from the hit. New tire= all fixed. Oh and an alignment shop that knows what they are doing. That there is front end alignment 101. They should have known to do that right away. That is why I have my own Hunter alignment machine in my garage. LOL! No one knows how to really do alignments anymore.
If that does not work. Post and we can go to the next step, but I bet that is the issue.
Matt
Sweet. I'll try that this weekend. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dencon
Matt
Welp. Hibdons is retarded.

It's been in for three different alignments and they never even realized the wheels DON'T EVEN HAVE WEIGHTS ON THEM. I go to switch the wheels and noticed it first thing.

Got the wheels balanced and the vibration is gone. Still seems to pull to the left slightly though. The steering is a little loose as well, especially for a few degrees to the left. On a possibly unrelated note, my front suspension "pops" under hard cornering or at severe turn angles. Possibly related? Idk. Suspension and steering aren't my forte.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

First thing. Find a new alignment shop. Did you swap the tires like I suggested and see if the pull moves to the other side? That popping you hear may be a bad bushing somewhere. Holycow! These guys at this shop do not know how to do a proper front end inspection??? I hear about that all of the time.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

I never swapped the tired because I noticed it was pulling the other way, but I did a full rotation after they balanced them.

As far as the popping, I've heard bushings, wheel bearings, or the plates at the top of the strut. Idek how to figure that out.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Geeze. Just proofread my last post.

I never switched the wheels because I noticed the weights were missing. I rotated the tires after they balanced them