Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Does the steeda adj pan hard bar have to be perfectly centered.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:36 PM
mostasteless

Default Does the steeda adj pan hard bar have to be perfectly centered.

I've been having some issues with mine. The First time I installed it I spent a long time to get it perfectly centered and it was a royal PITA. Well I clearly didn't tighten it enough because it came lose so I had to re do it today. After another couple hours of ripping the rear end apart pulling out the bar and re doing it evenly centered on both sides. I instal it and its a quarter of an inch in favor of the passanger side. The loctite is settled and since my car is lowered it's damn difficult to adjust it with the car sitting at ride height... So, does the rear end have to be perfectly square? What negatives can I expect from having it off? If I put the rear end of the car on one of those drive up ramps will it be sitting at the same height as it would flat ground?
Any tips?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

why didn't you get the one that can be adjusted on the car.?
i got mine perfect in 1 hour max...i'm sure it makes a big difference..mine drives much better with the axle perfectly inline..
Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

An on-the-car-adjustable PHB is the one that can "un-adjust" itself if it loosens. An off-car adjustable one can rattle a bit if it loosens, but can't slip its adjustment nearly enough to notice. The only possible downside to an off-car adjustable one is that it only adjusts in half-turn increments - which once set is unlikely to ever be "off" by enough to matter at all for anything short of the fussiest appearance critique.

OP
Re-adjusting with the car on drive-up ramps will affect axle positioning by a very small amount, probably not by enough to notice. But I'd suggest using the lowest ramps that still let you get under and adjust (even if you have to make them up from 2 x 10's), or that you intentionally offset the axle a really tiny bit toward the passenger side unless you're lowered. "A really tiny bit" is 1/32" or less.

I hope that you did not use high strength Locktite (the red stuff). If you did, you'll need to heat the Locktited joint.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-05-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM
mostasteless

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
An on-the-car-adjustable PHB is the one that can "un-adjust" itself if it loosens. An off-car adjustable one can rattle a bit if it loosens, but can't slip its adjustment nearly enough to notice. The only possible downside to an off-car adjustable one is that it only adjusts in half-turn increments - which once set is unlikely to ever be "off" by enough to matter at all for anything short of the fussiest appearance critique.

OP
Re-adjusting with the car on drive-up ramps will affect axle positioning by a very small amount, probably not by enough to notice. But I'd suggest using the lowest ramps that still let you get under and adjust (even if you have to make them up from 2 x 10's), or that you intentionally offset the axle a really tiny bit toward the passenger side unless you're lowered. "A really tiny bit" is 1/32" or less.

I hope that you did not use high strength Locktite (the red stuff). If you did, you'll need to heat the Locktited joint.

Norm
I did use the red loctite before I realized it was off, bad decision on my part, that's why I'm asking if 1/4" is a huge issue. The thing is, I could drop it off on the passanger side and adjust it but I'm having issues getting the sway bar support out if the way. That coupled with the car being low and difficult to maneuver under. So would driving the rear end up on ramps make the car sit differently than normal ride height?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Doubtful it'd be enough off to matter. If you're really concerned, put about 100 lbs or a bit more in the trunk. Come right down to it, PHBs should always be adjusted with at least the driver's weight simulated, either full weight in the driver seat and footwell or about half weight in the trunk. The car does settle a quarter inch or so when you get in, and you really want it right when you're driving it. Unless it's strictly a mild street driver and show car.

Norm