Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

tires for 5.0 with 19 inch rim

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Default tires for 5.0 with 19 inch rim

hey everyone, im in the process of trying to help my dad out. he wants to get some new tires all around on his 2011 5.0 mustang with the optional 19 inch rims. stock tire size is 245/45/19. since he is going to a track day with me at NOLA motorsports, he wants to get some better road course tires. i know that my suggestion for him will be to run the largest square tire set up he can, but my problem is i don't know what that is. im not aware of what the offset is on those stock 19"s so i can't really compare it to some of the searched threads on here since most ppl are going aftermarket. i also havent been able to find out how wide they are.

i would also like to take your suggestions on what tire brand for the road course. the sumitomo HTZ III were suggested to him by a coworker, and for the price on tire rack they seem pretty good. also, i know the michellin super sports are a great tire, and those are on the high end at 300 a tire (100 more than the sumitomo's). i also know that norm normally suggest the goodyear asymetrics, which slot in the middle, but im not sure my dad wants ones he cant rotate. since my dad probably wont be doing more than 2 or 3 track days a year, should i suggest the sumitomos? or is the upgrade to the super sports or asymetrics worth it to a somewhat novice driver like my dad? thanks in advance for your help!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The size I'm finding from two different sources is 255/40-19, on 19 x 9 wheels. Your Dad's (M3hunter's?) car has the Brembo option, right?

Are 10" wide wheels an option? For that matter, is 18 x 10 off the table? 18 x 10's with the right offset will fit all around and are good for at least up to 285/35-18's, or possibly 295/35-18's (BFG's new "Rival" tire). The 295/35 on 18x10 has supposedly been verified by the folks at Vorshlag, who have the good 18 x 10's.

Norm
Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
The size I'm finding from two different sources is 255/40-19, on 19 x 9 wheels. Your Dad's (M3hunter's?) car has the Brembo option, right?

Are 10" wide wheels an option? For that matter, is 18 x 10 off the table? 18 x 10's with the right offset will fit all around and are good for at least up to 285/35-18's, or possibly 295/35-18's (BFG's new "Rival" tire). The 295/35 on 18x10 has supposedly been verified by the folks at Vorshlag, who have the good 18 x 10's.

Norm
haha no thats not him and no he doesnt have the brembos, just the optional 19's. and no he doesnt want new rims, just wants to keep his stockers. havent had more time to research the rim but i believe they are 19 x 9's. ill let you know for sure tho when i find out

EDIT:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTANG...-/200937342087

here they are. shouldve thought to check ebay. theyre 8.5 inch rims with a 50mm offset, thats why they wont clear the brembos

Last edited by tigercrazy718; 07-09-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

so its looking like the widest he will be able to run with the 8.5 width is 255's according to manufacturer specs on the sumitomos, michelin super sports, and the asymetrics. just want to confirm that with the forums experience tho
Old 07-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You won't find many open-track folks running tires on rim widths below minimum recommended, like you're apt to see at autocross. The difference is basically in the length of a road course session (think sidewall flexing and heat generation both of which are greater with narrowish rims) and the speeds reached vs the very short duration, 2nd gear, and much lower risk nature of an autocross run.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-10-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:56 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
You won't find many open-track folks running tires on rim widths below minimum recommended, like you're apt to see at autocross. The difference is basically in the length of a road course session (think sidewall flexing and heat generation both of which are greater with narrowish rims) and the speeds reached vs the very short duration, 2nd gear, and much lower risk nature of an autocross run.

Norm
thats what i figured. the loads that are put on the tires on a road course are much greater and last longer, and therefore you should stick to the recommended size. anyone here run the michelins? ive seen feedback on the asymmetrics and the sumitomos, but not the michelins yet
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Unfortunately, Ford's choice of wheels and tire size doesn't leave you with any room to upgrade the size for this activity.

Not that it's a bad idea to have a dedicated set of track tires and wheels separate from the daily-use set. Not much different from lots of us folks up North who keep a winter tire set and a summer to "3-season" set. Once you get past the mental hurdle about having to buy wheels as well as tires, you've opened up a whole new set of better possibilities. You don't even have to care what they look like.

As a separate note, most track days won't let a patched or plugged tire pass tech, so there is a definite risk involved in daily-driving on the "race tires".

Norm
Old 07-10-2013, 12:59 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

yea but unfortunately my dad wont be racing too much unless im with him so he wont see a reason to get another set of rims and tires. thats one of the 1st things im going to do when i get my new job as well. i think im gonna recommend he get the sumitomos just because of the price and he wont be racing too much
Old 07-11-2013, 11:28 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

@OP- Check out the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position Car and Driver rates them 2nd to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and ditto with Tirerack.

I found it very difficult to find and good Hi Perf tire in 245/45-19. The S-04's come in that size. Right now they are really inexpensive Tirerack has them for $170 plus shipping, and Discount sells them for $182 (including shipping). I put them on my car and so far have been really happy. Later this month, I will do some track time with them and can give a follow up report.

The ride and handling seem to be similar to the Dunlop Direzza Z1's (which I have on my 911).

Last edited by JThor; 07-11-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
@OP- Check out the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position Car and Driver rates them 2nd to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and ditto with Tirerack.

I found it very difficult to find and good Hi Perf tire in 245/45-19. The S-04's come in that size. Right now they are really inexpensive Tirerack has them for $170 plus shipping, and Discount sells them for $182 (including shipping). I put them on my car and so far have been really happy. Later this month, I will do some track time with them and can give a follow up report.

The ride and handling seem to be similar to the Dunlop Direzza Z1's (which I have on my 911).
thanks for the suggestion. sent them to my dad and am gonna let him compare them and make the decision himself lol. its not gonna be easy

Quick Reply: tires for 5.0 with 19 inch rim