Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

No solution to knocking!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

Default No solution to knocking!

So in an attempt to remove the knocking and squeaking coming from both ends of my car while improving handling, I have taken the following steps in the following order:

Replaced front and rear sways and installed with locktite
Installed new 2012 Gt wheels and tires
Replaced shocks, struts, and strut mounts & New front brakes
Alignment
Replaced front and rear control arms and installed with locktite
Re installed sway bars, and lubed up bushings
Alignment

Still knocks! handles great and squeaking is gone however it still knocks! Its not during one particular action either. I can be turning, braking, or rolling over a speed bump. I was ROLLING to a stop light and heard "knock,knock,knock from the rear this morning. I installed all the parts myself and used a torque wrench to try to get everything to spec but feel so defeated. What else can I check or replace? Pack the bearings? New panhard bar? Motor mounts? I sounds like it comes from both ends at random times.

Does anyone live around Alpharetta GA or know a suspension guy close to this area. Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 01:17 AM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

How do the bushings look? They're only 5 years old, and I doubt you have spherical LCA's or a PanHard with spherical ends.

I replaced everything and mine squeaked for awhile then quieted down, like shoes.

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:54 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply Frank. I have new LCA's front and rear. the rears do have a spherical bushing i had to put rear end of it, if that is what you were asking. I do have the stock panhard. I went over every bolt i could reach from under the front of the car with a 3/8" ratchet and the only one that I could move was the sway bar end links, they moved about 1/8th of a turn.

The problem I was trying to fix is worst. It sounds like a loud, dull knock from front left and front right whenever I go over any speed bumps or make a sharp turn to the left or right. The only thing I did different was install the flag bolts on the front LCA upside down (nut on bottom), however the workshop manual said this was OK to make it easier to torque down. I don't think this was a problem because it was so tight that when i last got it aligned, the tech said he couldn't get my caster within spec because those bolts wouldn't move. It was only off .01 degree on both sides so I said don't worry about it.

=( Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by MoneyShot; 07-17-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Ok, so I don't think this will solve your problem, but I'll share just in case. I purchased some swaybars from Strano and installed them, no problems. Everything was bolted down, greased, etc. That lasted for about a week before I started hearing a very load knocking sound, like you are describing, from the front end. I would hear it over even small bumps or around turns, at any speed, and something about it just felt "off". I was due for an oil change and I was having some coolant overflow issues so I had my mechanic take a look at the suspension while it was in the shop, and he said that I had actually tightened a few bolts down just a bit too much, cracking 2 old washers. It apparently was making the whole swaybar loose and was causing the knocking. He threw on some new washers and the noise was totally gone. I haven't had any issues with it since, in the last year and a half I've been driving with that swaybar. So maybe it is something stupid and simple like a broken washer or two, maybe not.

Good luck on getting rid of the noise though
Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply MustangFirstCar, Are you sure that the washer was for the front sway? I can't remember washers for there. I know there were some for the rear. I should take it to a shop but honestly I don't know what they would tell me. What else is there to replace? Unless is is something with the wheel hub I have replace and tightened everything that moves.

I do think I have narrowed it down to a sudden change in momentum. Right after a sudden stop or the end of a speed bump. Almost like something is shifting forwards or backwards, like something isn't tight.

I think I am going to disconnect my sway bar from the strut and see if the knocking stops, from there I am going to try to re install the bolts on the front LCA flag bolts down. Anyone got a good recommendation on a good torque wrench? I'm thinking this guy

Also anyone reading this, Have you installed these lower control arms before and have you had any problems or advice?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:37 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

Good news MF! My neighbor and I pulled up at the same time and I asked if he had a large socket set (for the main strut nut that attaches the strut mount) He smiles and said. "You know im a SAE Certified Mechanic right?" I explained the problem and he said to take it to his shop Saturday. Thank You God! I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Do you have a limited slip diff? I can hear mine knocking when coming to a stop if I'm turning slightly and the clutch is disengaged. It's been making the noise for ever, but became more noticeable after changing to poly/sper control arms.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:14 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply Moosestang I have an open diff so I don't think that applies to me. Thanks for the reply's, I think we got it fixed. My neighbor, the mechanic, took it to his shop all day and tightened and greased everything. He noticed two things, 1) I had the passenger side end link attached to the wrong side of the strut. I guess I installed one side and didn't reverse the process on the other side. And the other thing was the main strut nut. He said he had to over tighten it to get it to stop knocking. Oh well, hopefully that won't be a problem later on down the road. But the car has never been quieter! If you read the previous post, the main strut nut was the next thing I was going to try and fix! I got the idea from the other posts in this section with similar problems. It looks like that nut really needs some torque to get it quiet. All good now, thanks again.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:11 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
Anyone got a good recommendation on a good torque wrench? I'm thinking this guy
I have the Craftsman MicroTork torque wrench. Been happy with it. It's the model down from yours (not digital). My big complaint with the Craftsman torque wrenches is that the ratchet seems to wear out quickly. I've had to replace a couple for this reason (under warranty). My current one does not have that problem. I have the two smaller sizes for the lower torque situations. They have been great and no problems.

Generally, I've been really happy with Craftsman tools. They're designed pretty well. Not as good as Snap On, but not nearly as pricey either.

Last edited by JThor; 07-26-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 PM
AricTrueTexan
1st Gear Member

Hope everything worked out! quite scary since i'm lowering my mustang well at least soon anyways.