Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Coilover kit or springs and shocks/dampers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Fast droptop

Default Coilover kit or springs and shocks/dampers?

Looking to lower my 2011 brembo gt for better looks and better handling. Car is gonna be for nice days, sprited driving, and car shows. May hit the track 3 times a year. Have about 1500 to spend so give me your thoughts, opinions, and set ups you've used. Also what other pieces would I need to make it complete? If I just do shocks and springs should I add sway bars?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

Koni dampers and Strano sway bars/springs. No offense, but your budget seems low to cover much more.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:25 AM
Fast droptop

Originally Posted by 427Roush
Koni dampers and Strano sway bars/springs. No offense, but your budget seems low to cover much more.
None taken. I noticed Eibach has a spring, shock, sway bar set up for under a grand. Thought about the Koni shocks but figured since it wasn't a track car that they weren't needed.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:05 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

My car came with the Roush Stage 2 suspension. It was going to be a weekend cruiser and occasional track car. After going to my first HPDE track day , I got hooked and do about 8 days @ year now.
I immediately started modifying my suspension. My dampers were leaking which allowed me to upgrade to a coil-over suspension. I feel that the dampers made a significant difference, so I would place a high priority on good quality. A good investment in the foundation of your suspension will save you money in the long run.
Some of our members in my local Mustang club have installed the Eibach Pro/Sports kit and have liked the price/performance overall but say they're noisy. This may be a result of a poor installation job.

Last edited by 427Roush; 07-22-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fast droptop
Looking to lower my 2011 brembo gt for better looks and better handling. Car is gonna be for nice days, sprited driving, and car shows. May hit the track 3 times a year. Have about 1500 to spend so give me your thoughts, opinions, and set ups you've used. Also what other pieces would I need to make it complete? If I just do shocks and springs should I add sway bars?
I would suggest Koni Sport dampers and Steeda Sport or H&R OE Sport springs to minimize impact to ride and body roll. Lowering ride height can significantly reduce roll resistance and spring rate due to the changes in suspension geometry brought about by reducing ride height. Reduced ride height also reduces the amount of travel available to help absorb impacts. When you reduce bump travel more than an inch or so you will also hurt your ride comfort as road irregularities increase. If you are not going to install good camber plates I would suggest that you also install a set of anti-roll bars to compensate for this increased body roll and to improve handling balance by minimizing understeer. It sounds wrong but a larger front bar can reduce understeer on these cars by keeping the front tires from losing too much camber thereby increasing front grip reducing understeer. Buy the highest quality dampers your budget will allow even at the expense of other suspension items. After light weight wheels and sticky tires dampers can make the biggest improvement in handling and are the first place to make changes to your S197 suspension.

HTH!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

I did Steeda shocks/struts, Eibach Pro-Kit springs, GT500 HD Shock mounts, and a J&M adjustible PHB. I like the configuration, but I'd go with a different PHB if I was to do it again.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Fast droptop

Originally Posted by artdohc
I did Steeda shocks/struts, Eibach Pro-Kit springs, GT500 HD Shock mounts, and a J&M adjustible PHB. I like the configuration, but I'd go with a different PHB if I was to do it again.
What did you not like about the phb?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Look at Whiteline PHB and sway bars they are amazing pure works of genius.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fast droptop
Originally Posted by 427Roush
You can easily do a suspension setup that lowers ride height and decreases body roll for $1500. Koni shocks/struts are still on sale. Since you aren't planning on a ton of track time, I'd go with the Str.ts. Find a good set of springs, throw on an adjustable panhard bar and some adjustable camber plates, and you've got exactly what you're looking for with money to spare. If you still don't like how it rides, then start thinking about things like sway bars and other parts.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:53 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Look at Whiteline PHB and sway bars they are amazing pure works of genius.
The only genius in Whiteline panhard bars and anti-roll bars (not to mention virtually all of their S197 suspension products) is their marketing people using technical terms neither they nor potential buyers know the definition of. There is nothing genius about simple, cheap solid anti-roll bars with smashed ends that are being sold for significantly more money than lighter weight tubular anti-roll bars that are better made. Unless of course you are counting the extra cash Whiteline is lining their pockets with that you could use to make your car or home a better place. People who know suspension engineering and fabrication can tell you that Whiteline is spending your money on marketing, not engineering and the manufacturing a superior product.

Quick Reply: Coilover kit or springs and shocks/dampers?