Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

For those autocrossers...Mustang to STU?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Default For those autocrossers...Mustang to STU?

What do you guys think of the SCCA moving the Mustang 5.0 and under (and other RWD cars, i.e. Camaro, etc.) from STX to STU? They claim they want to increase participation in STU and the move will help cars like the Mustang because of the larger tire restriction from 265 to 285.

Class wise I'm not sure if the move from STX to STU would kill me or not. I have a hell of a time beating the AWD cars.

PAX wise would totally wipe me out. I finish pretty well in PAX in my region and moving to STU would totally take me out of contention.

I know more tire always helps, but is 20mm more on all four corners enough to justify moving to STU? I also know the SCCA doesn't use PAX nationally but I think this would have a bigger effect at the regional level who use the PAX index. I would hope if the move is made that the PAX is lowered to reflect the new additions.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Would you be able to compete in the stock class in the new configuration? You would be limited to 265's, but most of the STX class mods will be allowed in the new stock class.

In the RTR class, the PAX is .834 for the Mustangs. It seems like they are pretty competitive. It''s my first year AX with SCCA. So, I'm not all that competitive yet, but there's a 2013 Track Pack car here which is tearing up RTR.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:02 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
Would you be able to compete in the stock class in the new configuration? You would be limited to 265's, but most of the STX class mods will be allowed in the new stock class.

In the RTR class, the PAX is .834 for the Mustangs. It seems like they are pretty competitive. It''s my first year AX with SCCA. So, I'm not all that competitive yet, but there's a 2013 Track Pack car here which is tearing up RTR.
I can't move to stock because of my c/c plates. Bought them solely to increase tire life. The increased camber is nice but money matters and saving the outside shoulder of the tire allows me to run all year without having to purchase new tires. SCCA initially was going to allow camber in the new stock classes then pulled that recommendation.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

I'm in STX now with my mods, and was planning to go to 19x10s in the rear (Laguna Seca wheels which are 285s for tires). I guess if they are bumping us to STU, that just helps me out.

I don't have a lot of participation in my region, but when I run NASA (usually has 2x-3x more participants than the local SCCA), I'm usually in the top 8 of 30 racers. My current nemesis are a twin turbo RX-7 on summer onlys and a modified 370z on Hoosiers. I'm on all seasons, and I'm keeping within a tenth of them most of the time.

Is this a change they are proposing, or have approved, for next year? Currently they still have us in STX, and have not amended anything into the rulebook for 2013.

I might go ahead and throw C plates on mine too since I plan on doing further suspension work in the future, and may even go ahead and do some SFCs

Last edited by Boaisy; 07-31-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

The move to STU is a recommendation for 2014.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:26 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boaisy
I'm in STX now with my mods, and was planning to go to 19x10s in the rear (Laguna Seca wheels which are 285s for tires). I guess if they are bumping us to STU, that just helps me out.

I don't have a lot of participation in my region, but when I run NASA (usually has 2x-3x more participants than the local SCCA), I'm usually in the top 8 of 30 racers. My current nemesis are a twin turbo RX-7 on summer onlys and a modified 370z on Hoosiers. I'm on all seasons, and I'm keeping within a tenth of them most of the time.

Is this a change they are proposing, or have approved, for next year? Currently they still have us in STX, and have not amended anything into the rulebook for 2013.

I might go ahead and throw C plates on mine too since I plan on doing further suspension work in the future, and may even go ahead and do some SFCs
NASA runs autox's in your area? interesting. the only thing i ever see them doing around here is club racing/HPDE stuff
Old 07-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
NASA runs autox's in your area? interesting. the only thing i ever see them doing around here is club racing/HPDE stuff
Yes. They mainly do HPDE and Auto-X here (NASA-X is what they call it). Most clubs (SCCA, BMW, Porsche, NASA) around here do more autocrosses than the other stuff. NASA will run HPDE's at the local track (Memphis International Raceway), but the bigger events are usually in Blytheville or other tracks such as Barber.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:54 PM
S stang
1st Gear Member

In 2014 the scca is changing a lot of stuff, some good ,some bad . I run ESP so this will not bother me .put some mor mods on and come on and play.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

I know Vorshlag dropped out of SCCA because of some of the changes this year. A couple of their rules messed up his project, and what he was already working on which caused him to hop to other clubs. Mind you they are running 18x11F/18x12R wheel setups on their car. They said the wider they went, the faster the car got. Recently they decided to up the front to 12" wide wheels, but they had to modify the fenders so the wheels/tires didn't stick out. They said 11" Front and 12" rear (with a few mechanical mods) is about as far as you can go without modifying. They said 11"/10" (meaning either width all around) front and rear is best for no modifications.

Last edited by Boaisy; 08-01-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:42 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boaisy
I know Vorshlag dropped out of SCCA because of some of the changes this year. A couple of their rules messed up his project, and what he was already working on which caused him to hop to other clubs. Mind you they are running 18x11F/18x12R wheel setups on their car. They said the wider they went, the faster the car got. Recently they decided to up the front to 12" wide wheels, but they had to modify the fenders so the wheels/tires didn't stick out. They said 11" Front and 12" rear (with a few mechanical mods) is about as far as you can go without modifying. They said 11"/10" front and rear is best for no modifications.
They participated in a TX autocross using the STU PAX index and finished 29th. They used a different variant for class results but they would have finished first in the STU class. I know the SCCA concerns themselves mainly with nationals and doesn't include the PAX. Not all classes are represented at the regional level so PAX is a major factor to most who come out, at least in my region. If people want to use a larger tire like STU allows, the SCCA should allow a bump into that class. If the GT500 can run in STU, why not a 5.0 GT. Kinda like going from FS to ESP as the next step up.

Quick Reply: For those autocrossers...Mustang to STU?