Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front end popping, pinpointing it right now, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default Front end popping, pinpointing it right now, looking for advice

So I've been having front end popping issues when cornering, decided it's time to fix it now before it gets worse.

I've got my front end up on jack stands right now. The front tires are off the ground. When I turn the wheel lock to lock I can hear the popping, it's just not nearly as loud as when the tires are on the ground and the car is in motion.

List of mods is in my signature. I'm no mechanic but I'm no dummy either. I installed all these mods myself, no problems till a month or two ago, been installed 2-3 years. Looking for advice on how to further pinpoint my problem, i.e. take the strut assembly out and turn stuff, etc.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

After turning the wheel lock to lock by hand some more and keeping one hand on various parts trying to feel for the pop, I think I've narrowed it down to my right front end-link (if that is what you call the ~1ft vertical rod with the end links on it. It is the only thing I can really feel the pop through. Not the steeda upper strut mounts or the steering knuckle (not sure what to call this, steering rod?)

What's my recommended upgrade? Steeda street/comp, scott drake, strano comp?

Last edited by gmoran1469; 09-01-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:49 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Went ahead and placed an order for the Strano Comp w/ the QA1 rod ends. They looked to be the beefiest of the ones I looked at. That and I ordered a UPR catch can to replace the breathers I had installed, getting tired of wiping up the oil on the passenger side of the engine every week. Gonna install the catch can and detail the engine bay.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

When I go to install these (they will probably come with instructions but just in case)... How do I adjust the properly? Set the car on the ground and adjust until the roto joints are parallel?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Talked to the mechanic at our shop and he said the more I extend the end-links the tighter it gets, or something like that.

Anyone? Where'd everyone go?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Strut links or your ball joints are the cause of your popping since you already replaced the strut mounts with Steeda one.

Strut links were typically fixed by tightening them to 89ft/lbs.

The ball joints require removal and replacement of either the ball joint itself or the entire control arm.

The links themselves (at least the stock ones) are not adjustable but you should tighten all suspension parts with the suspension loaded like you mentioned.

I'm surprised too that no one else has chimed into this thread. It is a very common problem on the S197 models. (suspension popping/knocking).
Old 09-11-2013, 06:25 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Strut links or your ball joints are the cause of your popping since you already replaced the strut mounts with Steeda one.

Strut links were typically fixed by tightening them to 89ft/lbs.

The ball joints require removal and replacement of either the ball joint itself or the entire control arm.

The links themselves (at least the stock ones) are not adjustable but you should tighten all suspension parts with the suspension loaded like you mentioned.

I'm surprised too that no one else has chimed into this thread. It is a very common problem on the S197 models. (suspension popping/knocking).
Already been replaced with UMI adjustable links, which is why I am asking how adjusting them affects the car.

Name:  LShn1hE.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  134.1 KB

Name:  C96883o.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  73.6 KB
Old 09-12-2013, 07:28 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Man, you used to have to keep people out your thread here, now it's a freakin wasteland. Site sure went to **** quick. Anyone know any other mustang forums that has a large active user base?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

If you lengthen a link, it will "tighten" that side, i.e. add more spring rate and allow less body roll
Old 09-12-2013, 02:42 PM
basshed

I have drakes endlinks. They said to run the rod out till the bar is parallel to the lca. Then tighten the jam nuts. Mine still rattled so what i did is hold the sway bar in one hand then shorten the rod so nothing was loose. Then hit the jam nuts. My problem is loosness in the ball end. The drakes have a little play that is hard to get compressed. Do yours have any playin the spherical joints? Looking for ones that dont for my car & my rattle is solved.

Quick Reply: Front end popping, pinpointing it right now, looking for advice