Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Ford Racing Handling Pack for a DD V6?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Default Ford Racing Handling Pack for a DD V6?

Hey guys I am looking at upgrading/updating/improving the suspension on my '11 in the near future. I know the basics of suspension upgrades and the plentora of AM companys that make parts (Steeda, AMR, FRPP, MM, exc.) but who to go with, whats the best, and whats over kill I could use some input on.

Basics are '11 V6, not used for track, no strip runs, occational light to light runs, and mountain runs a few times a year. I will be upgrading to Brembo, and currently run staggered 8.5/10 x 20s. Looking to drop about 1-1.5 inches.

I see Ford has a "Racing Handling Pack" for the V6 that AM sells for 1200. Is that over kill for what I use the car for? Is there a better set up? I would like to keep the parts all from the same manufacture if possible (or atleast keep the shocks the same, and things like springs, sways, CC plates the same).

I dont mind spending more money on parts made in America (as long as they are worth it), and I plan on doing this only once so I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 09-03-2013, 01:48 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Good question Matt, I'm on the same page with ya. Reason I'm not going with frpp is because you're mostly paying for the name 'FORD' although I must say it's definitely more reasonable to go with you're own manufacturers brand. This was my dilemma. The ford racing springs have the same spring rate as the AM SR springs + they're much cheaper from AM. If I can find the right strut/shock combo that's very similar to the struts/shocks as Ford Racing, I'll be set. As far as sway bars and control arms, I'll be going with whiteline components (they're about 10 years ahead in the car handling industry) If I do the math, it may add up to that 1200 for sure. But, I look forward to hearing peoples comments!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Is that over kill for what I use the car for? Is there a better set up?

Thanks,
Matthew
That's such a personal decision. It sounds like you are looking for a compromise setup which gives you a little better handling for those couple mountain runs, but keeps the DD comfort.

Try to find a car which already has the setup you are considering and drive it. See if it fits your comfort level.

A track-centric car will have stiff suspension, and may not have sufficient comfort for your tastes. Also, the handling packs usually lower the car. You say you want to lower the car 1-1.5". However, is dragging over speed bumps and parking stops worth it? I have a lowered 911 and a stock height Stang. For my DD, I will take the Stang every time. The lowering of the 911 improved the handling (it's at the euro stock height), but it is a PITA driving it in the city.

You may want to just change out the shocks and sway bars and keep the stock springs. That way you keep the stock height and a lot of the DD comfort. The sway bars will keep the car flatter in the twisties, while the shocks will keep the car more stable over the bumps. For street purposes, the stiffer springs will not give you that much (except for lowering).

Plus it will be a lot cheaper. . .

Consider going with stock GT sway bars with Koni SRT shocks. Those will reasonably firm up the suspension while keeping a decent DD ride.

Last edited by JThor; 09-03-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Anyone else care to input? I would love to hear from anyone running this set up? Or who has done the research if the extra money for AMR, Steeda, Whiteline, Watts, MM is worth it.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Anyone else care to input? I would love to hear from anyone running this set up? Or who has done the research if the extra money for AMR, Steeda, Whiteline, Watts, MM is worth it.

Thanks,
Matthew
I have a slightly used set (about 4000 miles) for a 2011 V6 mustang FRPP handling package (front struts, rear shocks) springs and GT500 strut mounts for sale for $600.00. I took mine off to run fully adjustable shocks. PM me if you are interested. I would go with whiteline for front and rear stabilizers. I already sold the FRPP front and rear stabilizer bars. Springs lower the car about 1-5/8" - 1-7/8"
Old 10-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You can do so much better...

I would have to talk you a bit on the phone about what it is you actually want in terms of ride and performance vs. price, but I know I can do better and quite possibly for less money.

Better as in shocks with lifetime warranties. More adjustable sway bars, better ride quality and handling over less than perfect roads.

I've had 3 S197 Mustangs (and my ex-girlfriend had one too). I've won numerous SCCA National Championships in a couple of them. I drive them all over the place too (in western PA). I can make it handle, I can make it so it doesn't ride like crap.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:12 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

You can certainly spend less money than what the FRPP handling pack costs.

I have the following in my 2012 V6:

Koni Str.T (adequate for street)
Eibach pro springs (adequate for street)
Eibach adjustable sway bars
Max Motorsports caster/camber plates
Steeda SLA front LCAs
Steeda bump-steer kit
SR Perf Rear LCAs
Whiteline LCA Relocation brackets
Fays2 watts link

As you can see, you don't have to get everything from the same manufacturer. I'm using the car for autocross/DD, and it could honestly use better shocks/springs, especially in the front.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

And you can do it for even less because a number of those things I certainly don't think are necessary....
Old 10-03-2013, 08:49 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

You could install a set of Koni StR.T strut/shocks while not upgrading anything else and it would be noticeably better!!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:08 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

That's what Brenspeed recommended for my 2013 V6. Since I wouldn't be installing it myself, they said the installation charge wouldn't be a lot more for the whole kit than it would for choice pieces.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Racing Handling Pack for a DD V6?