Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Aftermarket front / rear anti sway bars not good for 197s?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:19 PM
mungodrums
1st Gear Member

Default Aftermarket front / rear anti sway bars not good for 197s?

I settled on getting Koni Orang / SRT shocks / dampners. Seem to offer the best price / performance, apparently better than Eibach, Steeda dampners. Also thinking of going with BMR springs or Steeda Ultralites or Sport Springs. Ford GT500 strut mounts, BMR caster / caster bolts and BMR adjustable Panhard bar. I was originally going to get BMR or possibly Steeda front / rear anti sway bars but not sure. I had a local mid level road racer told me that he believes, shocks / dampners, springs, caster / camber bolts and Panhard bar along with decent tires and decent brake pads such as Hawk HPS will make the 05-09 Mustang GT handle much better than stock and will make a great daily driver and good weekend warrior / road racer. He told me that he does not recommend for me to "waste my money" on front / rear aftermarket sway bars because they are not needed and that especially rear one is not desireable due to rear needing a little bit of deflection and articulation doe to live axle. I basically want car comfortable enough as daily driver, take kids and wife without killing the ride but improve handling, corner carving, some weekend warrior road racing. Of course not hardcore and would like to beat some 350z on the track and possibly keep up with some 370z. Advice would greatly be appreciated. Different experienced road racers that are local give me different advice, totally confused. Ger.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

I agree making struts/shocks, springs, and a panhard bar your first few steps towards improved handling. From there, why not just test that out and see how you do on the track? You can always pick up more suspension upgrades down the road, but test what you just picked up first.

Any type of behaviors that your Mustang picks up and you're not pleased with, we can show you a fix. It's just wise to save your cash and figure out what you need, before what you want. There's chance you may be happy with the outcome right from the beginning!

Shane
Old 09-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Wow. Well first I don't know if he actually said they are a waste or not.

I would agree that the other mods will make a big difference. And the stock front bar on the GT isn't bad, but the rear bars are either too small or too big IMHO. And aftermarket bars, like mine, offer you adjustment at both ends so you can tune the balance of the car to your liking around how you drive and the other parts on your car.

Can you go too big on a bar? Sure, mostly on the rear. In fact there is a HUGE rear bar that is being sold and it's WAY, WAY, WAY too much. You have to be careful of generalizations.

I use a 34.9mm front with a .250" wall, and a 25mm rear with a .156" wall. Stock on a Brembo GT is 34.6 4.4mm wall, and a solid 24mm rear. I wanted the front a little stiffer, the rear a little *SOFTER*, but with adjustment to find tune balance. That's a long way from his assertion that all bars are bad because they don't, what was it? "have deflection".

A few other things. Camber bolts... the slip. Never would I recommend them over a camber plate. HPS pads are NOT in anyway TRACK pads. And if you want the car to work as best it can then you want Koni Sports over STR.T's. I sell a lot of STR.T's and they aren't bad, but they aren't Sports.