Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

All season tires on 19's - suggestions?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 AM
6508ragtops

Default All season tires on 19's - suggestions?

'08 convertible. lowered 1 inch, J&M extreme LCA's and brembo 19 inch wheels with P zero 255 / 40 tires. Tires are just about cooked. This is a daily driver. Never on the track, moderately aggressive street driven. By moderate, I mean, fast in the corners, but don't break it free, and I dont smoke them off the line. Live in Virginia so not much snow, but it does freeze and get a few inches from time to time. If we get a big storm, I would just park it anyways. (this is first winter in VA with this ride)

Overall, the pirellis have been ok. They seem a bit loud, and I sometimes feels like the car is tracking, following (tramlining?) a groove in the road.

I am stuck between staying with summer tires or moving to all season. I have researched all seasons a bit here and on the web. Seems like best reviews are the Mich Pilot Sport a/s 3, Bridgestone RE970AS Pole Position or Hankook Ventus S1.

Anybody running these tires and have opinions or any other suggestions?

If I stay summer tires, any other suggestions for my style driving other than staying with the p-zeros?

Thanks all.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I have had what's the likely predecessor to the RE970AS PP on one of my other cars for over 30,000 miles to date (RE960AS PP). Year round use.

Another of my cars gets a set of Michelin PS All-Season Plus tires put on for the cooler 1/3 of the year or so. It's been around a lot longer than the PS A/S 3, but if PS A/S+ experience is any indication I'll be putting the new Michelins on my short list of A/S tires along with the RE970AS PP and the PS A/S+.

Sorry, but I have no experience with any of the Hankook line.

I don't drive any of the cars in my sig particularly "easy" through the twisties either, if there's a clear opportunity to play a little . . . and all of my tires are chosen with that very much in mind.

Norm
Old 09-29-2013, 02:12 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

I've had the Hankook V12s on my car, and although they're a 'summer tire' they have done surprisingly well in the rain. I live in Oregon so unlike those in CA or other states who strive for the top dry performance, wet performance is EVERYTHING here for a daily driver.

It's time for me to get new tires and I've been looking at the Michelin A/S 3...after reading Norm's review of Michelin (I had sworn them off for years after a bad experience) I'm one step closer to selecting them.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 AM
bgsmith

Checkout General G-Max AS-03. Very good ratings and good prices, at least for some of the popular sizes. I've had them on two cars including a 14 Mustang. Very satisfied.

Good Luck