Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Spongy pedal after Brembo upgrade...

Old 10-29-2013, 03:36 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Default Spongy pedal after Brembo upgrade...

...so I'm assuming that my brake pedal should feel firmer and LESS spongy after installing the FRPP Brembo 4 piston kit with stainless steel lines and new brake fluid, right?

Before the kit was installed, I had the rear brakes done at the dealership and it felt a little worse (more spongy) when getting it back. The person who installed my Brembo kit said it took a long time to get fluid out of the passenger rear bleeder so I assume that Ford didn't bleed the brakes properly after replacing the rear pads and resurfacing the rotors.

After picking my car up post Brembo install, I sat in it and pushed on the pedal and it felt rock solid. Then I started the engine and it sank to the floor.
I drove it and the pedal got progressively better, then I bed the pads and it was better yet. It's still a little bit spongy feeling and I have to really put pressure on it to get my car to stop fast. If I stomp on the brakes as hard as I can, I can get my brakes to activate the antilock only when I'm almost at a complete stop.

Any thoughts? Is another brake bleeding session required?

I see that LMR sells a GT500 booster, but if I understand correctly it has 30% LESS boost...so with the stock GT booster I should really be able to get the brakes to bite quickly, correct?

My brakes have a noticeably better feeling as far as being able to modulate them, but the mushiness is a big disappointment.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:39 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Replacing pads and resurfacing rotors does not require brake bleeding. Why did the 2nd mech attempt to bleed R/R to begin with? Who installed the Brembo's? I ahven't actually looked at bleeders on that set up in a while don't they have two bleeders per caliper, did he bleed it in the correct order?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

I had a shop install the Brembos. I'm sure they had to be bled after the install because the kit came with SS Goodrige lines for all 4 wheels...and as for bleeding in the correct order, you'd start with the passenger rear, right? The Brembos do have two bleeders. Is there an order for the Brembos? I heard you bleed the inside then the outside Brembo bleeder in that order.

My pedal feel keeps improving, but I still think I might have air in the lines.
**update** My pedal has kept improving and is now higher and not sinking to the floor. It still doesn't feel as solid as I 'think' it should though. For those that have the nearly impossible to lock up my brakes to the point of engaging ABS, but if I stand on them hard they do stop the car effectively. They're just not as responsive initially as I'd like.

Last edited by STANGmole; 10-31-2013 at 01:14 AM.