Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Can I run stock 05-09 Mustang Gt 17 inch wheels for track use?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:03 PM
mungodrums
1st Gear Member

Wink Can I run stock 05-09 Mustang Gt 17 inch wheels for track use?

I am just wondering how "neccessary" aftermarket, bigger / wider wheels are for an 05-09 Mustang GT. I will do some basic suspension / handling work, possibly cai and tune. I like the stock 17 inch allow wheels, thinking of putting good rubber on them and stainless steel brake lines, pads and fluid. Does anybody here track their car with stock wheels? From 05-09 did Mustang use the same size wheels regardless of style, stock wheels of course, some look like bullit wheels, others look kind of like the wheels on the GT500, cobra style wheels?Ger.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mungodrums
I am just wondering how "neccessary" aftermarket, bigger / wider wheels are for an 05-09 Mustang GT. I will do some basic suspension / handling work, possibly cai and tune. I like the stock 17 inch allow wheels, thinking of putting good rubber on them and stainless steel brake lines, pads and fluid. Does anybody here track their car with stock wheels? From 05-09 did Mustang use the same size wheels regardless of style, stock wheels of course, some look like bullit wheels, others look kind of like the wheels on the GT500, cobra style wheels?Ger.
IIRC,

From 05-09 the V6'ers came with 17's in 2 different styles.
GT's all came with 18's (no big brake package until 2011), in about 3 different stlyes.
All Mustangs with 5 lug, use the same bolt pattern 5 x 114.3

As far as tracking the car with stock rims...well, i'll leave that to the experts that have done it, but i would think wider is better and the stock rims are only 8in wide
Old 10-31-2013, 08:43 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The OE 18" GT wheels were 8.5" wide and the 18" GT500 wheels were 9.5" wide. The 17's were only 8" wide.

It probably comes down to whether you think you'll outgrow 8" wide wheels and the available 17" tire sizes and performance intent (other than R-compound) before you wear the 17" rubber out.

But if there's much chance that the track day bug will bite (and this is apt to happen), your best bet is going to be to keep the 17" setup you already have for your street duty (and not just because you like it). Spec out something specifically for the track outings plus maybe the drive to and from the track. Out on the track, appearance counts for ummm . . . just about zero, which simplifies things a bit. Choose your track stuff for performance (and making sure it fits).

In my avatar picture - which I just changed a couple of minutes ago - I'm on FRPP's GT500 wheels (18x9.5) and 255/45 Goodyear Asymmetrics. I'm currently looking to go wider still on both the wheels and tires for track use.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-31-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

IIRC,

From 05-09 the V6'ers came with 17's in 2 different styles.
GT's all came with 18's (no big brake package until 2011), in about 3 different stlyes.
Many did .... but many '05-09 GTs came with 17X8 wheels and 235/55-17 rubber.

Name:  TireandVin08MustangGT800x289_zps83def060.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  127.7 KB
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

It sounds like you are new to the sport. Watch out - it's addicting! You should have no problem using stock rims with a stock size in the beginning. Just get a tire that will hold up under severe duty. (If you have a tire that's rated "HR", you're fine for the beginning.) The small tires are actually helpful in the beginning because the car will reach its limits at lower speeds. Wide, sticky tires for a novice can give some uncomfortable moments. Metal reconfiguration is not fun. Most of the early learning is learning the dynamics of weight transfer, brake modulation, heel toe, etc. The car doesn't have to be built to be the fastest one on the track to learn these techniques.

Also, I wouldn't really do any handling mods either until you have a few track days under your belt. The stock parts will accentuate your bad habits. You will learn more and will actually become smoother and quicker staying with the stock stuff in the beginning.

I would do the first few outings with the stock rims, get some training (hopefully you have one of the better clubs in your area), then start contemplating how to mod. After you've been around the other motorheads for awhile, you will start seeing what the hot setups are.

I learned in Porsches. Started doing mods which helped my style but only after I knew which mods would help me. This is the first year I tracked my Stang. It's a totally stock GT with 245/45-19 tires (skinny for track). After this season, I know the mods I want to make for next season. They will include Koni Yellows, a somewhat heavier sta-bar and track brake pads. Wider tires and rims too, but not as much as Norm is doing. In the meantime, the bone-stock car was a blast to drive on the track and I learned the basics of the dynamics of a front engine, rear wheel drive car. It's a very different experience than a car with its engine stuck out in back of the rear wheels.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by JThor; 11-01-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:13 AM
428 FS

If possible, always put as much tire on the car as will fit within your pocketbook, the ruleset you are restricted to, and the fenders.

If you're on a budget, put whatever you can afford on whatever you have. People race on stock wheels everyday.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

possibly cai and tune.
Just to touch on this very briefly, the one thing you don't want in a tune where hard cornering is involved is the overly aggressive throttle tip-in that's typical of many aftermarket tunes. The "instant throttle tip-in response" that many people want in their street and street/strip driving and what the market caters to can be a bit too much when you're accelerating out of a high-lateral-g corner.

Norm
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

55's are going to make your car feel like a truck on the track. I ran gt500 wheels 255/45 all around I would throw some 245s and go lower on the sidewall, if you want to stick with the 17s
Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

It is definitely possible and should be fine in the beginning when you have few/no mods. Remember, tires are one of the best investments you can put on your car as they are the only thing that transmits the power to the asphalt. Better handling/acceleration/ and better ride!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Louch

If you plan on trcking the car alot, install Brembos up front. The stock GT brakes are small and have a tendy to overheat easily, even with good brake pads.

17" wheels don't clear the Brembo, you need to use at least 18" wheels.

I plan on running 25.5 or 26" diameter tires for track duty. The stock size IIRC is 27.2" which is quite tall.