Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2014 V6 Front tire outside edge uneven wear and front right popping sound.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

Default 2014 V6 Front tire outside edge uneven wear and front right popping sound.

Hello all, sorry to bother you with something that is as potentially simple as this may turn out to be, but I just picked up a set of 2013 GT Brembo pack wheels and tires for my 2014 V6, and I have some concerns.
First, after some drive time, I have noticed that the outside edge of both of my front tires has been absolutely devastated(wear goes from virtually zero at the inside edge to very heavy at the outside edge, alignment issue maybe?)
Second, I have noticed that there is a lot of scrubbing from these tires when I try to make a U-turn, and sometimes it feels like they are rubbing on something inside the very stock wheelwell.
Third, sometimes during a full right side turn of the steering wheel at a stop, there is a popping sound and the steering will snap a bit further.
Fourth, I have noticed that my braking performance on the much better tires is absolutely awful(abs kicks in preposterously early now, making me think that this is linked to issue number one, the very uneven wear).
Are these things normal for these wheels and tires? If not, how may I go about fixing this? Thank you for your opinions on this.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:53 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

This is a stock 2014? Can't you have Ford fix it under warranty? To the best of my knowledge, the track pack wheels fit all 2010+ (probably 2005+) cars without issue. I have them on my car (lowered with Steeda Sport springs) and there's no rubbing or popping whatsoever on full stop turns.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

All that is on the car is a rear sway bar and the new wheels/ tires. I have an appointment with a local dealer on Monday to get the front end looked at. I have checked, and the wheels are not rubbing on anything in the wheelwells, so I think that rubbing sound that I hear in full lock low speed turns is the front tires scrubbing due to the wrong toe/ camber specs(there is a ridiculous amount of camber gain when the front wheels turn right now, so maybe there is a different alignment spec for the OEM 17 inch wheels that were previously on my car than what is used for the high performance tires?)
Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Who installed the wheels?

What else was touched when the wheels were swapped? Are the wheels lug nuts actually torqued to spec?

Stock V6 rotors are 12.5" up front
V6 with performance rotors are 13.25" up front
Stock GT rotors are 13.25 up front
Brembo Package GT rotors are 14" up front and have different (bigger calipers)

Brembo wheels probably add some rotational mass to the mix so 12.5" rotors are going to take a hit with more rotational mass.

All of that though should not cause your ABS to kick in earlier. If anything it would kick in later since your would have to hit the brake harder to get the car to slow down as you would expect.

There is something wrong, what it is, no clue without more information.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Jande063
Hello all, sorry to bother you with something that is as potentially simple as this may turn out to be, but I just picked up a set of 2013 GT Brembo pack wheels and tires for my 2014 V6, and I have some concerns...
Hello Jande063,

I’m glad to learn you’ve made an appointment already. I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area as well. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 11-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Without any better information, it sounds like too much toe-in combined with camber that's not far enough negative for the cornering that you're putting the car through. I won't even try to guess what any popping noise might be coming from.

Camber will change significantly as you steer the wheels and will be clearly visibly different from when the wheels are pointed straight ahead. There is little or no difference among all of the various Mustang models where this is concerned. But understand that not all cars come off the production line with Ford's preferred caster, camber, and toe settings. Within the "acceptable range" is good enough as far as delivery to the dealership and ultimately to the customer is concerned. Whatever it does come with may or may not be completely acceptable for any given individual's driving.

Norm
Old 11-14-2013, 12:06 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like strut mounts to me, I had this exact problem but instead it affected my inners. You might need caster camber plates, especially if you have skinnier tires.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Who installed the wheels?

Stock V6 rotors are 12.5" up front
V6 with performance rotors are 13.25" up front
Stock GT rotors are 13.25 up front
Brembo Package GT rotors are 14" up front and have different (bigger calipers)

Brembo wheels probably add some rotational mass to the mix so 12.5" rotors are going to take a hit with more rotational mass.

All of that though should not cause your ABS to kick in earlier. If anything it would kick in later since your would have to hit the brake harder to get the car to slow down as you would expect.
My 2010 GT came with factory 19" wheels and 12.5" front rotors...no problems with ABS before or after switching to the 19" Track Pack wheels.

I think the braking performance is related to the tires. Are they worn? Are you braking on wet pavement? The Pirelli summer tires have frightening lack of traction on wet pavement IMO...although I haven't personally tried the mega-buck$ variant included with the Track Pack wheels.

Another thing...my tires don't rub, but I'm running 245/45/19 (stock size on my GT). Aren't the Track Pack wheels a different size? Not as tall and wider? Maybe the width makes the difference in rubbing up front.