Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Enkei RPF1

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default Enkei RPF1

Well I was the guinea pig this time and it looks like there are some problems.

First, the centercaps from the deep dish bullitts I got from americanmuscle will not snap in and work with these wheels. The only ones out there that are guaranteed to fit are the Enkei centercaps. $106 shipped.

Now, on top of that annoyance, it looks like even that won't do the trick. Here are a couple pictures linked. The "nipple" at the end of the wheel on the front end of our cars is probably going to interfere with the cap. There is only 8-10mm of room there for it to snap in.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7758/0image326.jpg
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1246/0image323g.jpg

Very disappointing if this is the case. Matters are worse yet because on the rear axle these things aren't there. So the best case scenario would be to leave the centercaps off and paint the ends on the rear. Being a perfectionist it would be annoying to me that I would have "center caps" (the nubs poking through the center) on the front but not in the back.

EDIT: Brian Goodwin got back to me and said the caps only need a few millimeters clearance to snap in. Hopefully it will be OK. Will post pictures this weekend after I have the caps on.

Last edited by Riptide; 03-01-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: new pertinent info
Old 03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure where you think there will be interference. So let's try some makeshift terminology...

Radial Clearance: from outer circumference of the hub "cap" to the inner circumference of the wheel hub hole.

Lateral Clearance: from back of wheel hub hole to surface of hub cap flange.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, that there is 8-10mm of radial clearance, this is more than enough for many caps. They only require about 3-4 mm radial clearance all around.

From the second picture, what has me more concerned is the lateral clearance. The cap has a lip that snaps onto the back of the hub opening, and that needs anywhere from 3-6 mm lateral clearance to grip.

In some cases, the "lip" is actually a spring wire that is wound around the cap. I just picked up a set of wheels and the caps that came with it were like that...and yeah, they popped right off when I put the front wheels on. Since I could care less about such things, I could just laugh if off. After all, I'll be happy to invite any critics on track with me...we'll see a.) how much they care about it and b.) who laughs last.

I hope things work out for you.

And where are the pics?!! You tease!!

Best,
-j

Last edited by Philostang; 03-01-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

Dude I desperately want to see some pics!!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Are these wheels going to be used for track only or DD use?

Did you consider the new Enkei PF01 wheels?

If I am guaranteed they will clear my GT500 brakes I'll be ordering a track only set of 18 x 9.5 x 45 mm offset PF01's with 275/40/18 Nitto NT-01s this coming Saturday.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hey Sleep,

The PF01s are set to arrive any day now...but could take as long as 2-3 more weeks. I've already got a set ordered, and I'm just waiting for the call that they arrived. I'll be happy to check clearances with any template you like. And if they come in before you order your set I can directly confirm fitment with a buddy's car; he's got GT500 Brembo brakes.

FWIW, I can't give a guarantee, but I can offer an "I'll be flat out amazed if they don't."

Best,
-j
Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

dang them is some big bucks
Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Philostang
Hey Sleep,

The PF01s are set to arrive any day now...but could take as long as 2-3 more weeks. I've already got a set ordered, and I'm just waiting for the call that they arrived. I'll be happy to check clearances with any template you like. And if they come in before you order your set I can directly confirm fitment with a buddy's car; he's got GT500 Brembo brakes.

FWIW, I can't give a guarantee, but I can offer an "I'll be flat out amazed if they don't."

Best,
-j
What size PF01 did you order? Are you using the stock lug nuts or new ones? My quote includes new lug nuts.

I don't have a template and will keep you posted on my situation and then see if it is necessary to do a test fit on your friends GT500. Thanks a bunch for the offer.

I measured my spare Steeda Ultra Lite and it is 26 lb and the PF01 looks to be about 19 lb. That weight difference will help when I have to load them in and out of the car as well as on the track.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I considered the PF01 but I think they weren't available in black when I was looking. I had my heart set on black ones.

The wheels look very nice! Torqued them down and went for a drive tonight. No vibrations that I could tell seems smooth. When I got back I retorqued the lugs and it seems like they backed off about 1/4 turn. Not sure why.

I will have pics on Friday once I put the centercaps on. I think they should fit OK.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hey Sleep,

I ordered 18x9.5, +35mm offset, and everything I've read indicates 18 lbs ea. Of course, I'll be weighing them before they get mounted as well. Once everything is back together (interior is pulled right now), and the wheels are in, I'll post pics.

I didn't get lugs with them, as my current aftermarket ones will do (Gorillas). Of course, once we get the ARP studs on, then I'll be looking for new lugs. As far as cost, they came in around the same as RPF1s, and they are the lightest wheel you can get for the dime. So I don't think they're a bad deal at all. The killer was having to get TWO sets of wheels (one for street, one for track) just to accommodate the Stoptech's. Needless to say I went with a less expensive set for the street (aside from the ever so important function of allowing me to run street rubber, they're just for show anyway).

Rip,
You usually have to re-torque the lugs after 50-100 miles or so. At the track we re-torque in between each session, just to be on the safe side.

Yes, unfortunately they do not come in black...yet. I'm waiting to see how it all looks, and I may end up painting them in the future. For now they are my track-only set of wheels, so I really don't care. Still, it would be nice to hide all that brake dust!

Best,
-j
Old 03-02-2010, 08:22 AM
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Philostang
Hey Sleep,

Best,
-j
FWIW
I was also considering the pfo1 . But right now Enkei is selling without any " inventory" .Which means you can get a set by order BUT IF u bend or break one it will be 3-4 mos to get a replacement .
Something to consider .

Quick Reply: Enkei RPF1