Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

08 mustang considering the 14" brembo upgrade

Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Jwood562
1st Gear Member

Default 08 mustang considering the 14" brembo upgrade

hey guys i have a couple questions….

I have a 2008 Roush stage 1 GT, it came equipped with 18" Roush chrome wheels.

will the 14" brakes fit inside the wheel, would I need a spacer?

My second question would be about braking in general.

would it be wiser to invest in high performance pads or high performance rotors? Or do I have to do both to bet the benefits of each?

in case my question is not clear. would the stock 14" brembo package benefit more with stock rotors and good street pads or stock replacement pads and high performance rotors?

it is a pure street car with an occasional trip to the mountain twisties.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:35 AM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

I have a Roush 427R with the brake upgrade kit. Two piece slotted rotors and 4 piston calipers. I track my car about 8 times a year at the local road course tracks (Sears Point, Laguna-Seca).
Unless you track the car, I wouldn't spend the money. JMO.
If you do, then the Brembo package will be fine. New rotors and pads could be bedded in with the Brembo calipers after installation. Stainless steel brake lines, hi-temp fluid and cooling ducts would be next to complete the brake system for track use.
The 18" Roush wheels have a 45mm offset and will clear the front brakes.
The occasional trip through the twisties may lead you to the track.

Last edited by 427Roush; 12-04-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Jwood562
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 427Roush
I have a Roush 427R with the brake upgrade kit. Two piece slotted rotors and 4 piston calipers. I track my car about 8 times a year at the local road course tracks (Sears Point, Laguna-Seca).
Unless you track the car, I wouldn't spend the money. JMO.
If you do, then the Brembo package will be fine. New rotors and pads could be bedded in with the Brembo calipers after installation. Stainless steel brake lines, hi-temp fluid and cooling ducts would be next to complete the brake system for track use.
The 18" Roush wheels have a 45mm offset and will clear the front brakes.
The occasional trip through the twisties may lead you to the track.

Thank you very much for your input. I am piecing together the brembo conversion and just got a smoking deal on some brembo calipers (the most important part of the conversion) and using cyber monday specials I am waiting to pull the trigger on rotors and pads and I need to make my decision soon as the sales end very very soon.

i am VERY glad to hear that the roush wheel will clear the brakes
Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jwood562
would it be wiser to invest in high performance pads or high performance rotors? Or do I have to do both to bet the benefits of each?
Regardless of whether you're going to run 14" brakes or only the "regular GT" brakes - if you're only doing one of those, make it pads. For street use, use pads intended for performance street and autocross use. Entry-level track pads might still work well enough when cold, but will be noisy, dusty, and eat away at your rotors far more aggressively all the time.

If you're going to do both pads and rotors and you're still in a street-only environment, slotted rotors seem to resist scoring from trapped grit a little better than plain rotors because there's places for said grit to get scraped off into (my experience, anyway).

What 427Roush said about time in the twisties leading to track time is very possible (and as a hint for finding out where to learn how to do things the right way, very good advice).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-04-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:24 AM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jwood562
hey guys i have a couple questions….

I have a 2008 Roush stage 1 GT, it came equipped with 18" Roush chrome wheels.

will the 14" brakes fit inside the wheel, would I need a spacer?

My second question would be about braking in general.

in case my question is not clear. would the stock 14" brembo package benefit more with stock rotors and good street pads or stock replacement pads and high performance rotors?

it is a pure street car with an occasional trip to the mountain twisties.
Brembo calipers is a great upgrade, great street brakes, great track brakes.

Stock rotors are nice but stopping an M4A1 tank from driving down a mountain needs a little help, from the rotors and the pads.

DBA rotors are a GREAT rotor upgrades, they have high alloy iron which increases the thermal capacity of the rotors, and they are heat treated, increases the service life of the rotors.

Pads are a little tougher, when choosing pads it can vary based on how the person drives, I've had good luck with StopTech pads on some cars, but I've had good luck with Hawk HPS pads on some cars.

For you sounds like it is just a daily driver with the occasional mountain time, I would suggest either one. StopTech pads have higher initial bite but dust more. Hawk HPS pads don't have as high of an initial bite, but great linear bite and they don't dust as much.

We are new vendors to this forum, but we have been working closely with a lot of members on the Boss Mustangs forum. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and we would be more than happy to point you in the right direction and/or share some more knowledge with you.

-Nick

Last edited by KNS Brakes; 12-05-2013 at 09:27 AM.