Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Coilovers or new springs/struts/shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:05 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Default Coilovers or new springs/struts/shocks?

Hey everyone, I want to comfortably go lower on my stang, I am debating on going with either st suspension coilovers:
http://www.stsuspensions.com/product...coilovers.html

or just a spring/ strut combo i.e. h&r springs with tokiko d specs.

My car is a dd and i live in canyon areas with great hills and windy roads; although i do encounter some rough, bumpy roads. I like to drive moderately but quickly at other times (don't we all!) Ill be going with some forgestar f14 wheels after installation, probably 19x10 with proper offset.

I am considering going with the coilovers due to the fact that, well, they're coilovers. Nothin like a set of nice new coilovers on your stang with proper adjustment for your comfort.
The spring/strut combo may be a consideration too, due to the fact that i'm not gonna be tracking my car, and that it's a cheaper way to go. I feel as though i'd be more comfortable with fully adjustable coilovers than just a spring/strut combo.

Would you think it's worth the bargain for the coils on street (1200 is my highest budget) or just save and go with a spring /strut combo for around 8-900?)

Thanks for any further input.

Last edited by JayBeStangs94; 11-25-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:23 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I'd go with the spring/shock combo. A good set of springs and shocks is better than budget coilovers and the high end coilovers are way too much money. Also, unless you plan on fiddling a lot with the height the adjustability is mostly a gimmick. Most people just set them once and forget about them.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:40 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'm running Koni Yellows with UPR lowering springs on my 2011 GT. It rides fine and handles great! If I switched to coilovers, I'd want to make it worth the upgrade, which means $3,000-4,000 for ASTs or something similar.

Name:  IMG_8982_zps4b09f5f4.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  145.3 KB
Old 11-28-2013, 02:03 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

That makes sense, i'll do that then. Especially the fact that coilovers only begin at 1200, spring/strut combo is the better way to go.

I want to go between 1.5-2.0 inch drop. Lets say i went with springs that were 1.5 inch drop; if i had adjustable struts/shocks, could i adjust them lower or would the ride be uncomfortable since the spring rate is lower than a spring with lets say a 2 inch drop? thanks in advanced. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:12 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

If your springs offer a 1.5" drop, adjustable struts/shocks won't make it go lower. If you want about a 2" drop spring, I'd probably try Eibach Sportline. Just be aware that that is venturing into the territory of lowering for looks more than performance.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Allupinya
2nd Gear Member

I run AST coilovers, was running ground control coilovers which were awesome but I needed to try something else. Koni yellows are awesome, I ran those for a bit as well. I know a good place to get konis.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:30 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

We've been working with KW and ST for the last 10 years that we've been in business. I've trusted KW myself in making great products, and that shows since my last two cars, including my 5.0 have KW's on. Of course if you're not made aware of yet, ST's are made by KW, they're the same company. Only difference is ST has a 5 year warranty, and the shocks are zinc coated galvanized steel instead of KW's inox stainless steel. Regardless they're still put through the same strength tests and certifications.

ST's are great for daily driving, that's for sure. They're main goal was ride comfort for daily drivers, then it was performance. If you're looking for a GOOD company to put your hard earned money towards without breaking the bank, ST is it, trust me on that one.

PM me for pricing, you'd be surprised what I can do on these kits
Old 12-09-2013, 03:28 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

so what difference does it make that the st suspension is made of zinc coated galvanized steel as opposed to the kw's made of inox stainless steel? I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around buying $1200 coilovers, what do you guys think? thanks
Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
so what difference does it make that the st suspension is made of zinc coated galvanized steel as opposed to the kw's made of inox stainless steel? I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around buying $1200 coilovers, what do you guys think? thanks
ST's use galvanized steel which is of course less expensive, making the whole kit less expensive entirely, but because they're zinc coated, it makes the surface of the steel harder to rust if you're using it during the winter. KW's have a higher grade steel, so that's basically the only difference, along with a lifetime warranty from KW instead of a 5 year warranty with ST.

$1200 for coilovers is absolute dirt cheap. PM me on this, I can get something going for you for a good price