Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Which Brembo's to get

Old 12-17-2013, 02:26 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Which Brembo's to get

Just put new 18x10 SVE drift wheels and 285/40/18 Nitto NT 555 on all four.

Current brake set up: stock calipers, stock rotors, HPS pads, stainless lines, high temp fluid

Noticed increased stopping distance and needed increased pedal pressure for normal stops. Obviously from the increased rotational mass from the wheel tire upgrade (4 lbs more each corner, so feels like 64 lbs increase). Mentioned this to the wife, who instantly wanted me to upgrade the brakes as she wants me to be safe, AWESOME WIFE!!!

I read posts about an upgrade from stock 12.4 inch front rotors to the current 2013 13.2 inch rotors via bracket change and bigger rotors. This doesn't interest me as the rotor is bigger the pads are the same and the same 2 piston calipers are still being used, it just looks bigger. From driving M3s and 911s and tracking the car multiple times, the stock calipers just dont have what it takes anymore.

My question is regarding the potential Brembo brake upgrades.

07-10 GT500 Brembo upgrade is a 4 piston caliper, 14 inch rotor, and bigger pads, will fit with my 18 inch rims, already checked.

11-13 GT Track pack Brembo package is a 4 piston caliper, 14 inch rotor and bigger pads.

Are these the same calipers? Is one better than the other? Are the pads the same?

I understand the 13 GT500 brembo brakes are a 6 piston caliper and 15 inch rotor and need a 19 inch wheel so those are out.

Car is tracked about 3-4 times a year.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by UrS4; 12-17-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 AM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

All the 4 piston Brembos are the same, whether they are off a Shelby, Boss, GT. I upgraded my brakes from the two piston OEMs to the 4 Piston Brembos and felt a great difference. The 15" Brembos are overkill anyways and the rotors are over 30 lbs a piece. 14" Brembos, high temp fluid, good pads and stainless lines and you have a car that can STOP.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:06 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks BeachBlv

I was doing some digging on various vendor sites and Brembo 5.0 forums and discovered what you just said. The 2007-2012 GT500 brembos are the same as the 2011-2013 GT Track Pack/Brembo brakes as the 2012-2013 Boss 302 brembos.

It seems like the rear brakes on those three cars are the same too, same small pads, just bigger rotors and different brackets.

So I guess I just need to find the best deal for any of those three.

Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:41 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

Check out Stop Tech. They make both the 4 and 6 piston calipers for the Roush vehicles and other performance cars. You might want to add cooling ducts for road course track days too.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Stop techs are a little too much money.

The things i dont like about the GT500 kits is that it comes with stainless lines and pads for the rear, and I already have that stuff, seems like wasted money, additionally the pads are a factory pad.

Wish they just sold the front SS lines, caliper, and rotor and I could pick my own front pads and get the ford racing GT500 dust shield.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

both the brembo calipers from a GT and the gloss black ones from a GT500 are the same. I would not waste the extra money on the 15" Brembos because the weight is much more. What I did (and the most cost effective) is this:

1. either find used our buy new (tasca parts has the cheapest new prices) GT500/GT brembo calipers (depends which you think look better color wise). The GT brembos can be found and bought from Ford for about $25 cheaper than the shelby's

2. Order the Hawk pads you want (i chose ceramic HPS from AM w/ discount)

3. You can re-use your current SS lines (Im almost 100% sure about this)

4. Order the 2013+ GT500 brake dust shields (i also got these from AM w/ discount)

**5.** IMPORTANT STEP HERE! You can choose to order stock 14" rotors (found almost anywhere) OR I ordered Baer 14" drilled and slotted 2-piece rotors from stage3performance (w/ disc they were under $600) they save about 10lbs of rotational mass from the wheels. You can get them just slotted and not drilled if you track the car.

And finally, this combo looks KILLER! and stop my light-weight v6 on a DIME!

Last edited by Stang-aholic; 12-17-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Jwood562
1st Gear Member

I just finished putting 14" brembos on my 08gt.

I pieced the kit together over the past couple months.

got a smoking deal on the calipers on ebay because the seller listed them incorrectly stating they would only fit 11+ mustangs which kept bidding down and his title was short and lacking description so it did not show up in many searches.

I used black friday/cyber monday to score some slotted rotors from brake performance for $160 shipped and just got a set of russell stainless lines from ebay for $100 and track pack cooling shields for $45. So all in all I got my whole kit for a little over $600 with all new parts (except for the calipers)

a couple things I learned doing the swap. my SS lines did not come with new banjo bolts and was forced to re-use the original ones, which appears were not made to be reused because the copper crush washers were not made to come off the threads of the bolt. I had to cut them off with wire cutters very carefully and use the new crush washers that came with the new SS lines.

get little rubber covers to plug the brake lines to prevent fluid spilling and it will also make bleeding the lines easier when done.

there is a pdf online on this install, get it because it has the torque specs for all the bolts.

first side took me about 1hour and the send side was about 40 minutes because I was now familiar with what needed to be done.

get the little one-man brake bleeder kit from auto zone. saved me. a little tip on this. the hose supplied with the kit are too small to fit the brembo bleeders. I got a heat gun and a heated the hose and used a punch with a graduated tip (like a small cone shape) to expand the hose just enough to fit the bleeders.

good luck and you will love them.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Jwood562
1st Gear Member

forgot to add that i weighed out each part to if i was going or losing weight. i need to finish weighing the takeoff stuff to compare