Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need Help w/Autocross Tire Selection

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Default Need Help w/Autocross Tire Selection

With the changes in SCCA classes for 2014, I plan on moving back to FS from STX. The only change will be removing the cc plates. I'm not worried about losing the camber for the course. I mainly added camber to increase tire life. I ran RS3s last year and they held up well but they were junk until they warmed up. I was also able to flip them so I could run all season. I don't know if the Dunlop ZIIs or the BFG Rivals will be able to handle the La heat. The ZIIs look like they could be flipped but the Rivals not so much. I need to run all season on one set of tires so it is important to make a good choice. Anyone have any input for the ZIIs or Rivals?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

If you're going to FS you should get some slicks, possibly A6's. If you decide to go to STU the ZII's have the 285's unlike the Rivals which only have 275 or 295. I called BFGoodrich to see if they were planning on releasing 285's on the Rival and it isn't anything they are doing this year. Tire Rack did a good write up and test for all of the extreme street tires this year. The ZII had the lowest time in dry conditions so I personally bought those for my wheels.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
If you're going to FS you should get some slicks, possibly A6's. If you decide to go to STU the ZII's have the 285's unlike the Rivals which only have 275 or 295. I called BFGoodrich to see if they were planning on releasing 285's on the Rival and it isn't anything they are doing this year. Tire Rack did a good write up and test for all of the extreme street tires this year. The ZII had the lowest time in dry conditions so I personally bought those for my wheels.
I failed to mention I am also trying to take advantage of the new PAX for FS which is much lower than STX or FS that allows slicks. A6s won't last me an entire season and the price is too high.

I have seen track tests from TireRack and another source which is leading me to think the Dunlops would be a good choice. I'm just curious if they would hold up worth a damn in the heat and loss of camber during an entire season of ~9 events. I have a co-driver as well, so we are essentially putting two seasons on these.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

My old tires were Yokohama Advan AD08's and they held up just fine in the heat of El Paso, TX. It gets in the 110's for most of the summer. The reason I'm switching brands is the price and I feel that the ZII's will do just fine in the heat as well. I also spray my tires in between each run to help cool them down. I also don't need a tire that performs well in the rain since it barely rains here and if it is raining the local chapter won't race in it. Another reason behind why I switched brands. My Yokohama's lasted for one and half seasons with little degradation and I'm hoping the Dunlops can do the same.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Your maximum width in FS will be 265's and 9" wide rims for you car - but to get the 9" rims you will need the Brembo brake option on the car. Otherwise 8.5" will be your max width. I'm dealing with that issue right now myself.

The Rival has a 265 in 20" with a 27.1" diameter. Otherwise, you will have to go with a smaller diameter to get to 265 (like 26" or 25.7").

I have the Direzzas on my 911. They have held up fine for track/autocross duty. If you can find a size to fit, I would really recommend them. However, the Rivals are "the tire" right now.

Last edited by JThor; 01-16-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
Your maximum width in FS will be 265's and 9" wide rims for you car - but to get the 9" rims you will need the Brembo brake option on the car. Otherwise 8.5" will be your max width. I'm dealing with that issue right now myself.

The Rival has a 265 in 20" with a 27.1" diameter. Otherwise, you will have to go with a smaller diameter to get to 265 (like 26" or 25.7").

I have the Direzzas on my 911. They have held up fine for track/autocross duty. If you can find a size to fit, I would really recommend them. However, the Rivals are "the tire" right now.
I have Brembos so I will be using an 18x9 wheel I was using in STX. I can probably fit a 285 but will go with a 275 because it is usually taller than a 285 and I need less gear. 275s fit perfectly on a 9" inch wheel. Used that combo years ago. The Dunlops beat the Rivals in the test Hot Rod magazine did and were pretty damn close in the Tire Rack test. I can't flip the Rivals either which makes the Dunlops more appealing. I think the Dunlops are worth a shot.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:45 PM
06whitegt

I ran the last couple of 2013 solo 2 events on 295 18 rivals. Grip like bear traps, but with the stock(ish) suspension the tires really expose the deficiencies of the rear suspension. They don't give you much warning at the limit, and then it's a rodeo. Have Koni yellows UMI UCA and Fays2 watts trucking their way here to (hopefully) bring the suspension up to par with the tires.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:02 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Decisions, decisions. My co-driver and I discussed asking our local region to allow us to keep our cc plates on but leave them at the factoring setting. This will allow me to use them if I track the car. I also don't move around very much so it will save on my body as well by not trying to swap them out.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

MHO is you either run a legal car, or you don't. Too much chance for problems if you run in street with camber plates. How does your competitor know you don't have more camber than you should? Rules are rules and exist for a reason. If you are just going to screw around, then stay in STX.

Anyway.... Tires. Let's just say street tires are MUCH more picky about the car and rims they are on than Hoosier's. Most aren't at all tolerant of squeezing down to a smaller rim, some are a little better at it. I think on a Mustang I'd tell you Z2's. If it was an STX FR-S, I know they suck 245 on a 9"... but they rock on a CS version (235 on a 7").
Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
MHO is you either run a legal car, or you don't. Too much chance for problems if you run in street with camber plates. How does your competitor know you don't have more camber than you should? Rules are rules and exist for a reason. If you are just going to screw around, then stay in STX.

Anyway.... Tires. Let's just say street tires are MUCH more picky about the car and rims they are on than Hoosier's. Most aren't at all tolerant of squeezing down to a smaller rim, some are a little better at it. I think on a Mustang I'd tell you Z2's. If it was an STX FR-S, I know they suck 245 on a 9"... but they rock on a CS version (235 on a 7").
I'm not trying to screw around. If the SCCA hadn't re-classed Mustangs to STU, I would stay in STX. The only reason I bought plates were to keep the outside part of the tire from cording prior to the end of the season to save money. I have a Max Motorsports camber gauge I will offer to bring with me for verification. I know it isn't perfect, but its damn close. I'm not trying to cheat anyone, thats why I am bringing it up now instead of waiting for someone to call me out at an event. We have made concessions before, but if it is a no, then I will have to make her legal.

Tires...275 is the biggest I am willing to go on my 9" wheel. My co driver wants to go with the Rivals because of a recommendation. I'm not so sure. I am leaning towards the Z2s. You can flip them and prolong their life because of the loss of camber. We get a lot of heat in the summer and that is my main concern for both tires.

Quick Reply: Need Help w/Autocross Tire Selection