Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Install now or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Install now or wait?

I bought the Eibach Pro Kit springs and I really want to install then already. Since i put my bigger rims on about 600 miles ago the ride has gotten higher, it feels like a boat, and the steering is a bit loose I guess because I haven't gotten it aligned. I was planning to throw shocks & struts in there at the same time. Things came up and I don't feel like spending $450 right now on the Eibachs that go with their springs. Also, I'm probably going to have my old shocks/struts laying around with the rest of the parts I have already and kinda don't want that either.

My gt doesn't go far. Almost had it for two years and put 5,000 miles on it. I figured I could get away with putting the springs on and using up the rest of the life in the stock shocks/struts which have less than 18K miles on them. What do you think... Is it worth spending the extra 450 and going all the way?
Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

honestly, I would say wait. I have eibach pros and the ride is harsh, but that's apparently the valving in the stock shocks/struts can't handle those springs well. IF you'r hell bent on it like I was, I would only suggest going ahead if you're doing the install yourself. that way all you've spent is time and not money on two installations.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:11 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IndecisiveS197
honestly, I would say wait. I have eibach pros and the ride is harsh, but that's apparently the valving in the stock shocks/struts can't handle those springs well. IF you'r hell bent on it like I was, I would only suggest going ahead if you're doing the install yourself. that way all you've spent is time and not money on two installations.
+1

You can get a decent shock/strut setup for $400.

I had a 2007 that I installed Steeda sport springs on without shocks/struts, it worked fine, but I could tell the lower height on the stock strut/shocks was not doing my ride quality any favors.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

That's what I was planning to do. I was going to install then myself but I haven't yet because I know how the ride quality gets worse. My good friend keeps telling to do it but I said it would be a waste of time... better off doing the whole job at once. He tells me the ride won't get that much worse and he has coil overs on his lexus which is slammed to the floor.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:41 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
He tells me the ride won't get that much worse and he has coil overs on his lexus which is slammed to the floor.
OK, he has coil-overs…which has the shock integrated with the spring. In effect, he replaced the shocks when he replaced his springs. He's telling you to do something he did not do.

Tell him he is dumb
Old 01-17-2014, 04:51 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by artdohc
OK, he has coil-overs…which has the shock integrated with the spring. In effect, he replaced the shocks when he replaced his springs. He's telling you to do something he did not do.

Tell him he is dumb
LOL that is exactly what I said to him. He's better with cars than I am so I kinda believed him when he said "it's only a little less than 1.5in it shouldn't be that bad". So now I'm here investigating how the ride quality really is lol
Old 01-17-2014, 05:21 PM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

remember that during Koni's annual Shock sale that the Koni STR.Ts go down significantly. I've seen them go down to around $320 during that sale, and vendors like Sam Strano and American Muscle all participate in that Koni sale. so it's defintiely worth the wait to install all at once with Shocks with better valving.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:33 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

You can install the Eibach Pro springs now and upgrade the dampeners later. The 05-09 struts & shocks handle drops much better than the New Edge Mustangs. However, if it were me, I'd hold out until you can upgrade the dampeners. As mentioned above, the ride is rough with the lowered springs and the stock dampeners don't do a good job of reducing bounce.

I would save up for the Koni STR-T struts & shocks. They'll do a killer job of stabilizing your suspension. Plus it's about the same price as the Eibach dampeners.

Let us know what you decide to go with!

Shane
Old 01-17-2014, 06:19 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I'd normally say wait because, like others mentioned, the shocks and struts will help your ride quality after you lower on top of the fact that lowering will wear out the stock shocks and struts faster. But as little as you drive your car, you could get away with doing just the springs for a while as long as you don't mind the ride. I don't think it would be THAT bad, and if it is it will just encourage you to do the shocks and struts sooner.

I'm waiting for the Koni sale myself as well for multiple reasons. I want to get yellows which are a little more expensive and I exhausted my play money with Christmas for a couple of months anyway. I think the sale is usually around March so I've been collecting other less expensive parts while I wait (springs, adjustable panhard bar, C/C plates). Plus I'm gonna be installing them myself in the driveway so I'm good with waiting for it to warm up a little!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:01 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

A lot of help so far with making my decision, thanks everyone.

Thats true AJ. If it turns out i can bare it for a while then ill probably just wait it out for that sale ive been hearing about. Im a student taking trains 3 days a week and like I said i dont take that car anywhere far either so I probably could just bare with it. The crappy part though is that i would have to do that work to put in the springs all over again, but at least is not as hard as my last job... LT headers on cinderblocks and stands. Whats is making you want the KONI yellows?

Quick Reply: Install now or wait?