Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Coilovers; what else should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:31 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Default Coilovers; what else should i buy?

So I will be buying some coilovers from St suspension (made by KW) this year, they're basically the same as the KW v1's, they're just made of different material.

Along with coilovers, should I get a panhard bar to correct the geometry of my rear end? Also, should I get caster camber plates as well? Tell me your views. If i can just go with coilovers and a 1.8 inch drop, without having to spend the extra, fine. If i'll have issues, let me know what needs to be done.
Thanks!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:51 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

You need an adjustable panhard bar like this:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...rd-bar-05.html

And you don't necessarily need cc-plates with a 1.8" drop but you're right on the borderline. You'll probably be around -1.7° camber. With the toe angle zeroed out, you'll still have fairly even tire wear. (unless you never take corners hard)
Old 01-17-2014, 04:15 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

You really need an adj pan hard bar. For as cheap as they are, no reason not to do it.

CC plates are your choice, I installed Eibach's pro-kit and it dropped my car a little under 1.5" and my camber is at -1.5. The tire shop warned me I'd see bad tire wear and that I needed Maximum Motorsports CC plates, but 7k later I haven't seen any bad tire wear. I rotate my tires every other oil change.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
So I will be buying some coilovers from St suspension (made by KW) this year, they're basically the same as the KW v1's, they're just made of different material.

Along with coilovers, should I get a panhard bar to correct the geometry of my rear end? Also, should I get caster camber plates as well? Tell me your views. If i can just go with coilovers and a 1.8 inch drop, without having to spend the extra, fine. If i'll have issues, let me know what needs to be done.
Thanks!
Yes, get a panhard bar. When I lowered mine on KW V3's the axle was shifted over to the right by about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. It's not a huge difference, but you'll want to straighten that out with a panhard bar. Luckily they're not too expensive at all.

Other than that, you're good to go. Some guys say you need camber bolts, but personally I lowered mine on V3's without needed them, and I'm still in a good alignment spec, so no worries there.

Send me a PM if you want a quote for those. I give out the best deals on anything KW/ST hands down.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:49 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Cool. So just a panhard bar? My cars already equipped with the sways from the performance package. Would I be needing control arms or bushings?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:05 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Cool. So just a panhard bar? My cars already equipped with the sways from the performance package. Would I be needing control arms or bushings?
You don't "need" upgraded control arms as a result of lowering the car, but in my opinion, they are one of the single biggest improvements you can make to the car.

Here are the arms I use and recommend, in a package with the adjustable panhard bar which you DO need:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-s...anhard-11.html
Old 01-21-2014, 04:39 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

No. If the car isn't tracked in any competitive manner, there's no point. Bushings will eventually start going out on their own, I would suggest doing bushings then so that you get the rest of the life out of the ones you have in there now. So no arms, no bushings, for sure if it's a daily driver (for now at least).
Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Cool, thanks guys. that sums it up then. Coilovers, and a panhard bar, at the same time. solved!