Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

shock recomendation

Old 01-18-2014, 03:05 PM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

Default shock recomendation

I'm getting ready to get shocks/struts after installing eibach pro kit springs a few weeks back, I compete in autocross monthly, do 2-3 open track days a yr and daily drive my car. I'm looking at either non adjustables: koni str's or steeda pro action or adjustables koni yellows or tokico d spec. To save money I would rather go with non adjustables as they are 300 cheaper, but not if I'm going to regret it, any suggestions?

thanks
Rob
Old 01-18-2014, 03:33 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

No to Tokico D Spec.

I have Steeda Pro Action and I wish I had gone with Koni yellows just because now I thinking about re-doing my suspension with the mods I deemed "too expensive" at the time.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:37 PM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by artdohc
No to Tokico D Spec.

I have Steeda Pro Action and I wish I had gone with Koni yellows just because now I thinking about re-doing my suspension with the mods I deemed "too expensive" at the time.
how were the steedas? what did they lack?
Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

With out question, Koni Yellows, or if you have a real fat wallet, then its Ohlins.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

I would second Koni Yellows! And their Struts!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I have the Steeda ProActions, love them. But I don't do any autoX
Old 01-20-2014, 12:29 AM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWHEELS
how were the steedas? what did they lack?
The Steedas work great, but I can't help but wonder about how Konis would be in comparison especially since so many people rave about them.

Currently my suspension is a bit bouncy for me, but I think that is the Eibach springs and not the Steeda shock/struts. I plan to pull the Eibach's off and replace them with Steeda Sport springs first and see if that fixes my bouncing concerns.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:20 AM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

well it looks like the koni yellows are my first pick right now, but I have one concern, are the rears adjustable on the car? I saw a couple of video reviews where you had to take them off the car and compress them to adjust , that might be a deal breaker for me, kind of defeats the purpose of adjustability.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWHEELS
well it looks like the koni yellows are my first pick right now, but I have one concern, are the rears adjustable on the car? I saw a couple of video reviews where you had to take them off the car and compress them to adjust , that might be a deal breaker for me, kind of defeats the purpose of adjustability.
The Konis that required disconnecting at least one end were the older "reds" that I recall were only 3-position adjustable.

Resetting the adjustments of all four is about a 5-minute job, including the time it takes to pop the hood and trunk and peel back the trunk trim for access. My instructor at a track day last November was impressed enough by my car's composure to mention it in a little informal post-session debriefing.

Here is a look at adjusting the rear yellows. The tool is my own creation that's easier and more accurate to use and more durable than the tool that Koni ships with each pair of dampers.

Norm
Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 AM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by artdohc
The Steedas work great, but I can't help but wonder about how Konis would be in comparison especially since so many people rave about them.

Currently my suspension is a bit bouncy for me, but I think that is the Eibach springs and not the Steeda shock/struts. I plan to pull the Eibach's off and replace them with Steeda Sport springs first and see if that fixes my bouncing concerns.
I have the FRPP-P springs with the Steeda ProActions. I think it is a near-perfect pairing. Car is firm, not bouncy and it does not beat you to death; which is important because the roads here in Knoxville, TN really are terrible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shock recomendation