Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Stance & Stability: Lower Your S197 Mustang The Right Way with these 4 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 PM
tobaGT

Two questions about this post:

You don't mention sway bars at all. I come from an import background, and the law of the land if your primary concern is handling is doing sway bars. At what point do these become important? I assume its because in addition to body roll, brake dive is a big issue, and springs/dampers improve things in all directions?

I'm wanting to do a conservative drop, looking at either Ford P or Steeda Sports, and FR adjustable dampers. I want to do a watts link. I understand that any wheel hop issues will determine necessity of control arms, but what's the likelihood of needing brackets as well with such a mild drop?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:25 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tobaGT
Two questions about this post:

You don't mention sway bars at all. I come from an import background, and the law of the land if your primary concern is handling is doing sway bars. At what point do these become important? I assume its because in addition to body roll, brake dive is a big issue, and springs/dampers improve things in all directions?

I'm wanting to do a conservative drop, looking at either Ford P or Steeda Sports, and FR adjustable dampers. I want to do a watts link. I understand that any wheel hop issues will determine necessity of control arms, but what's the likelihood of needing brackets as well with such a mild drop?
Swaybars make a huge difference on S197s, but people typically choose other mods first.

I wouldn't call LCA relos a necessary upgrade with a 1" drop.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:12 AM
tobaGT

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Swaybars make a huge difference on S197s, but people typically choose other mods first.

I wouldn't call LCA relos a necessary upgrade with a 1" drop.
Thanks for that. Although I have been driving for 20+ years and am pretty car-knowledgable, this is my first experience with rear wheel drive and live axles and their associated intricacies. So trying to meld what I've learned over the years with what could be considered "old school" tech is a fun challenge.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:39 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tobaGT
Thanks for that. Although I have been driving for 20+ years and am pretty car-knowledgable, this is my first experience with rear wheel drive and live axles and their associated intricacies. So trying to meld what I've learned over the years with what could be considered "old school" tech is a fun challenge.

Thanks for your input.
anytime!
Old 04-09-2014, 05:26 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Make sure you set up your ride right! PM me if you have any questions!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:27 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

If you guys need any assistance with your suspension set up, feel free to ask or just send me a PM!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:40 PM
a.brown.stang

very informative, i just did lowering springs and shocks and adjustable panhard bar.

everything seems great other than bumps or crappy roads cause an odd banging noise?
any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by a.brown.stang
very informative, i just did lowering springs and shocks and adjustable panhard bar.

everything seems great other than bumps or crappy roads cause an odd banging noise?
any suggestions?
Could be completely normal. A stiffer suspension doesn't absorb bumps as softly as your stock suspension does so sometimes you experience some more noise. If it sounds bad though, it's worth checking out to make sure everything was installed properly.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
MCBigDog

I did upper and lower control arms as well as springs, shocks and panhard bar and I'm experiencing the same thing. My latest thing to check is the rear springs hitting inside the towers next time it's on a drive on lift. I've re-torqued every rear suspension bolt three times now so I'm running out of places to look.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:02 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MCBigDog
I did upper and lower control arms as well as springs, shocks and panhard bar and I'm experiencing the same thing. My latest thing to check is the rear springs hitting inside the towers next time it's on a drive on lift. I've re-torqued every rear suspension bolt three times now so I'm running out of places to look.
What exactly are you experiencing? Is it a noise or a clunk. Let me know but if it's a generic noise like that it can be hard to pinpoint without getting under the car and looking, but we'd be happy to help out.

Quick Reply: Stance & Stability: Lower Your S197 Mustang The Right Way with these 4 Upgrades