Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Stance & Stability: Lower Your S197 Mustang The Right Way with these 4 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:57 PM
MCBigDog

I'm experiencing the same banging over bad roads that a.brown.stang describes, particularly at low speeds. It sounds like it's coming from where the shocks are but it's not the shocks, they're tight. That's why I suspect the springs are hitting the side of the tower. I centered the rear wheels in the wheel wells as best I could using the adjustable LCA's so I wouldn't think they'd be hitting but you never know. I'll check it out next week when I take it in for my front/rear alignment.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:09 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

We've received a lot of messages in regards to this article! Feel free to post up your own questions about the right way to modify your suspension!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the messages!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:22 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by a.brown.stang
very informative, i just did lowering springs and shocks and adjustable panhard bar.

everything seems great other than bumps or crappy roads cause an odd banging noise?
any suggestions?
Originally Posted by ModBargains
Could be completely normal. A stiffer suspension doesn't absorb bumps as softly as your stock suspension does so sometimes you experience some more noise. If it sounds bad though, it's worth checking out to make sure everything was installed properly.
Originally Posted by MCBigDog
I did upper and lower control arms as well as springs, shocks and panhard bar and I'm experiencing the same thing. My latest thing to check is the rear springs hitting inside the towers next time it's on a drive on lift. I've re-torqued every rear suspension bolt three times now so I'm running out of places to look.
Originally Posted by ModBargains
What exactly are you experiencing? Is it a noise or a clunk. Let me know but if it's a generic noise like that it can be hard to pinpoint without getting under the car and looking, but we'd be happy to help out.
Originally Posted by MCBigDog
I'm experiencing the same banging over bad roads that a.brown.stang describes, particularly at low speeds. It sounds like it's coming from where the shocks are but it's not the shocks, they're tight. That's why I suspect the springs are hitting the side of the tower. I centered the rear wheels in the wheel wells as best I could using the adjustable LCA's so I wouldn't think they'd be hitting but you never know. I'll check it out next week when I take it in for my front/rear alignment.
Those with the noises, did you replace the upper strut mounts when replacing the front springs?? The clunking noise typically comes when either the upper strut mount bolts are not tight enough, or when they need to be replaced/upgraded because of lowering the car.

Just a thought.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

OP-

Thanks for the info on the coilovers.

I'm currently lowered on Eibach Sportlines, but looking to swap out to coilovers very soon so I can dial in the ride height right where I want it. So many different choices out there, and the prices are all over the place.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:31 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
OP-

Thanks for the info on the coilovers.

I'm currently lowered on Eibach Sportlines, but looking to swap out to coilovers very soon so I can dial in the ride height right where I want it. So many different choices out there, and the prices are all over the place.
Yeah there are a good amount of choices in the market today. I've used KW V3's on my car, now currently on Airrex Air suspension. Though Air suspension isn't for everyone, it is damn good, but my KW V3's were fantastic for daily driving , very comfortable. BC coilovers tend to be a good popular option as well with adjustable ride height, rebound and compression adjustments too. I tend to help customers narrow down the best options by what the car will be primarily used for. I might suggest one thing to the guy who just daily drives, compared to someone who does track days every once in a while.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:53 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Wanted to bump this up to the top for those who are considering suspension upgrades!