Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

racing?Is the Maximum Motorsports Road & Track for Mostly Daily Driver and some Road

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 PM
mungodrums
1st Gear Member

Smile racing?Is the Maximum Motorsports Road & Track for Mostly Daily Driver and some Road

I have a 2006 Mustang GT. Finally going to pull the trigger. Car is mostly daily driver to also be used for occasional track days, road racing. Two options are:

Maximum Motorsports Road and Track box.
2.2007 Gt500 wheels with Nitto NT555 or NT05 tires.
3.Hawk HPS or HP+ brake pads, stock rotors, stainless steel lines, ford racing brake cooling kit and motul 600 brake fluid.

Or
Same wheel, tire and brake setup plus
1.Steeda handling kit, steeda no adjustable shocks, upper strut mounts, sway bars, panhard bar, lower control arms and sport springs.

I understand the above MM box lowers car 1.8-1.9 inches, almost two inches and comes with their own springs and koni adjustable shocks.
The Steeda kit lowers car 1-1.25 inches.
Is the MM kit too extreme harsh for street, unforgiving? What do you recommend? Ger.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:59 AM
ccaron

I hope someone can help you. Been wondering about the MM springs + Konis myself. My car is becoming a summer driver with 3-5 track days a year.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

I don't have any experience with MM on modern mustangs, but I have used their products on 2 different Mustangs, a 92 LX and a 98 GT. I have also used Steeda products on my previous mustangs, a 2007 GT and my current 2011 GT.

MM hardware is second-to-none, but definitely with a focus on performance over comfort. Their springs are H&R, so you can pick between their Sport/SuperSport/Race springs. All the springs are progressive rate, so they tend to be bouncier than Steeda's Sport springs. If comfort is a concern, stick with the H&R Sports. The rest of their products are pretty awesome, especially their caster/camber plates. But while their stuff is very good, I would't say it was necessarily worth the extra cost over other manufacturers for things like sway bars, control arms, and pan hard bars.

Steeda makes great stuff, but I am not sure I am happy with their struts/shocks. They appear to be re-badged Tokico D-Specs, which are VERY stiff. Their springs don't lower the car much, which can also be disappointing if you want MOAR LOW, but if you just want a little drop, and level stance, and good ride comfort, I'd say they are the best spring out there.

If I had to do it over again and I had the budget you appear to have:
Steeda Sport Springs
Koni Yellow Struts/Shocks
MM Caster/camber plates
Steeda F&R sway bars with end links
Steeda Strut tower brace
Watts Link
Rear LCA relocation brackets
Steeda Rear LCAs
Steeda Rear UCA

All that said, Sam Strano on this site is a good retailer and someone who appears to know his stuff, give him your goals and your budget and he will give you good options for your car.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the recommendation!

I can't say I'd do either of the original ideas. One gets you better shocks, but springs that are probably too much for daily driving (I'm familiar with them), the other gets you less good shocks, with other stuff that you might not even need to bother with.

I'm not sure how you narrowed down to two quite different things honestly. For me the Koni's are a great choice. But I'd probably not go so stiff on springs, and do upper mounts (either MM's or Steeda HD's, I have both). And start there. Mind you I have all the other parts, I make my own swaybars, etc. But the difference there will be big, and then we assess the result and make moves from there (if any).

A little old-fashioned, and certainly not the best way for me to sell parts in the short term (telling folks to go a little more slowly at times), but my hope is my more methodical ways make for a happier customer in the end, one who will call me back and recommend me, much like artdohc.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:06 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mungodrums
I have a 2006 Mustang GT. Finally going to pull the trigger. Car is mostly daily driver to also be used for occasional track days, road racing. Two options are:

Maximum Motorsports Road and Track box.
2.2007 Gt500 wheels with Nitto NT555 or NT05 tires.
3.Hawk HPS or HP+ brake pads, stock rotors, stainless steel lines, ford racing brake cooling kit and motul 600 brake fluid.

Or
Same wheel, tire and brake setup plus
1.Steeda handling kit, steeda no adjustable shocks, upper strut mounts, sway bars, panhard bar, lower control arms and sport springs.

I understand the above MM box lowers car 1.8-1.9 inches, almost two inches and comes with their own springs and koni adjustable shocks.
The Steeda kit lowers car 1-1.25 inches.
Is the MM kit too extreme harsh for street, unforgiving? What do you recommend? Ger.
This is what I installed on my 2006 GT for street/open track work. It was a great package!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-package.html