Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2014 V6 brake upgrades

Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Silver Talon

Default 2014 V6 brake upgrades

So I have a base V6 and am looking for a little more oomph in the woah department. Since I am gainfully employed at AutoZone, I have access to a lot of parts on the cheap. So id love to swap on some nice brake upgrades, but cant seem to find anything on the newer 11+ v6 swaps. Not sure if search is letting me down, or browsing through 30+ pages of different searches with different key words isn't enough. I show some 4 piston calipers from a 11 or 12 GT in my system I can order, but appear to have dual lines run to them? Does that mean a new master cylinder? Also, while Im in there, the backs Im sure could use some help too.

What are my options with factory parts?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Silver Talon

Oh and Premium GT pads, GT rotors and a set of 4 piston calipers will run me less than 300, so that's why I'm asking. Haven't checked on the back yet.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Silver Talon

No ideas?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 AM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-r...de-0511v6.html

Upgrade your V6 front brakes to GT brakes with the above kit. Then replace the OEM pads with better stuff (Hawk would be a good company), some better brake fluid, and some SS brake lines. Then replace the pads and lines for your rear brakes with the same stuff you used on the front.

This will yield a very noticeable change in the braking ability of your car, and for less than $600.

If you need to stick with relatively OEM parts (I know you can get good fluid and pads via AutoZone), you could look at the Brembo brakes (the 4-piston calipers), but you will need new pads, lines, rotors. You can see what you'd need here:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/svt-brakekit-0509gt.html

Keep in mind, you will need new wheels and tires to fit these brakes also, further pushing up the price of admittance.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Silver Talon

Thanks for the help! Are the 4 piston setups the ones requiring 19 inch brakes? Sounds like the one. And I'm assuming the non-performance gt calipers and rotors aren't an upgrade to what I have?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:26 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Silver Talon
Thanks for the help! Are the 4 piston setups the ones requiring 19 inch brakes? Sounds like the one. And I'm assuming the non-performance gt calipers and rotors aren't an upgrade to what I have?
Yes, the 4-piston Brembos require 19" wheels.

I'm not sure what you mean by "non-performance GT calipers". The calipers on your car may or may not be the same calipers on the GT (you'd have to look up the parts), but upgrading the rotors to GT-sized units like the kit I included would be a good start.

If the GT's calipers are different then the V6's calipers that could be a nice little upgrade too. I think they are the same though.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Grant 302

Originally Posted by Silver Talon
The 4 piston Brembos will clear lots of 18" rims which fit the '07-12 GT500 or Boss 302. You should only need calipers, pads and rotors to make it work. Lines should be compatible and dustshields are certainly optional.

The '11+ V6 brakes are the same size as the '05-'10 GT brakes.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Silver Talon

So I've done some more digging at work, and talked to my ford dealer a little bit too.

Looks like the rear brakes on the v6's are the same for all 11+ v6 and GT's, so no basic and cheap upgrades for those that I see, but I haven't checked the boss or Shelby rears yet.

GT and V6 calipers are the same, when talking non- performance GT's. The rotors are different, and possibly the pads (not checked yet though) too.

V6 Non-PP: 316mm rotor with 48mm width and 30mm thick
GT Non-PP: 336mm rotor with 48mm width and 30mm thick
V6 PP and GT PP: 355.6mm rotor with 46mm width and 32mm thick

Cant seem to find much info on the V6 performance package calipers. They aren't stated that they are GT performance package calipers, and no one seems to have a picture of them or sell them. Ill have to call the ford dealer and find out if they are the same or not. Unless someone here can vouch for it.

Swapping on the Brembo calipers appear to be a bolt on, as there is no caliper bracket used on them, the bracket is on the caliper themselves. Since the Non-PP (V6 and GT) cars share calipers already, and only have a difference in rotor size and possible brake pad difference, just a swap of the caliper bracket and possible pad swap are all that you would need to put the larger front rotors on. Fords retail on the GT's Non-PP brackets are $82.02 at my local dealer, but I'm sure could be had for less if I talk to the right person, or shop online. Apparently Fords part number is 2B-292 for the GT brackets, but it seems too short, so I'll have to double check that. And they come with new bolts and sliders too.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Silver Talon

Pads do appear to be different between V6 and GT, but it doesn't ask for performance package or not. So another thing to check more into.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Silver Talon

Originally Posted by artdohc
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-r...de-0511v6.html

Upgrade your V6 front brakes to GT brakes with the above kit. Then replace the OEM pads with better stuff (Hawk would be a good company), some better brake fluid, and some SS brake lines. Then replace the pads and lines for your rear brakes with the same stuff you used on the front.

This will yield a very noticeable change in the braking ability of your car, and for less than $600.

If you need to stick with relatively OEM parts (I know you can get good fluid and pads via AutoZone), you could look at the Brembo brakes (the 4-piston calipers), but you will need new pads, lines, rotors. You can see what you'd need here:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/svt-brakekit-0509gt.html

Keep in mind, you will need new wheels and tires to fit these brakes also, further pushing up the price of admittance.

That first set won't work, and isn't for my car as I have an 11+ V6 with old GT sized brakes anyway.

The second set is tempting, but can be had with OE reman parts for much less. If the reman brembo's are available, why spend the money on that, when its a direct bolt on with factory parts with only new brake lines, rotors and pads?