Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Offseason Brake Pad Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:40 PM
ccaron

Default Offseason Brake Pad Discussion

I'm trying to decide on which brake pad i should try for open track days this year. I have a 2011 GT with the Brembo kit on front and stock rears. I have a homemade 3" duct system feeding into Kenny Brown eyelits that sit about 1" off the inside of the rotor (seemed far upon install). Last year i ran on Continental scrubs and hope to again this year.

I ran Carbotech RP2s last year on the front and never switched out the rears (Hawk HPS) and was decently happy with the bite. There was a little fade toward the end of 20 minute sessions and i chewed most of the way through them in my 3 track days (4-5 20 min sessions) perhaps due to the aggressive tire i am running. My friend has a similar setup and ran a Hawk DTC-60 and HP+ split front to back and seems to have more pad remaining but i don't think he is as aggressive as I am.

What do others out there run? I was originally considering Cobalts for this season but am now reconsidering due to price. I looked up info on the Porterfield R4 with little success(may have less bite and more wear/fade?) but seems a bit cheaper than the other options, too.

What do you run or are you planning to run in 2014? Hawks? Carbotechs? Raybestos? Porterfield? Cobalt? Pagid? PFC?

Cheers!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ccaron
I'm trying to decide on which brake pad i should try for open track days this year. I have a 2011 GT with the Brembo kit on front and stock rears. I have a homemade 3" duct system feeding into Kenny Brown eyelits that sit about 1" off the inside of the rotor (seemed far upon install). Last year i ran on Continental scrubs and hope to again this year.

I ran Carbotech RP2s last year on the front and never switched out the rears (Hawk HPS) and was decently happy with the bite. There was a little fade toward the end of 20 minute sessions and i chewed most of the way through them in my 3 track days (4-5 20 min sessions) perhaps due to the aggressive tire i am running. My friend has a similar setup and ran a Hawk DTC-60 and HP+ split front to back and seems to have more pad remaining but i don't think he is as aggressive as I am.

What do others out there run? I was originally considering Cobalts for this season but am now reconsidering due to price. I looked up info on the Porterfield R4 with little success(may have less bite and more wear/fade?) but seems a bit cheaper than the other options, too.

What do you run or are you planning to run in 2014? Hawks? Carbotechs? Raybestos? Porterfield? Cobalt? Pagid? PFC?

Cheers!
Carbotech XP24 front and Carbotech XP10 rear.

Adding more bite to the rear of the car will help balance the car, ie keep it from nose diving hard, and not work your front brakes so hard. Front brakes will last longer and will be less prone to overheating.

Another option Hawk DTC 70 front and DTC60 rear.

I would stick to those two manufacturers, they are great, we've had lots of success with them on Boss 302's and Corvettes.

-Nick
Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

We have lots to choose from, if there are any questions please let me know and I will do my best to help suggest the best pad for you application.

-Nick
Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 AM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KNS Brakes
Carbotech XP24 front and Carbotech XP10 rear.

Adding more bite to the rear of the car will help balance the car, ie keep it from nose diving hard, and not work your front brakes so hard. Front brakes will last longer and will be less prone to overheating.

Another option Hawk DTC 70 front and DTC60 rear.

I would stick to those two manufacturers, they are great, we've had lots of success with them on Boss 302's and Corvettes.

-Nick
The Carbotech folks recommended the same for my track days and also to use the Bobcat's on the front for the street and leave the XP10's on the rear all the time. XP24 is ok to drive to the track. This way no need to clean rotors or change rotors when changing the front pads as the Bobcat uses a compatible compound.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Hi, I had a similar setup on my 2011 GT - Brembos with FRP brake ducts. I do track days only, no autocross or competition, which sounds about the same as the OP.

I have used stock pads, carbotech xp12, xp10, xp8, and Hawk HP+. Brake temperature depends heavily on how you drive, the power of your car, and the track you're on. If you're actually using all the grip your tires provide, sticky tires will cause your rotor temps to spike more, but I'm not sure about sustained temps. Theoretically, you're not slowing down as much for corners, and your brakes have a little more time to cool because your braking zone is shorter. **theoretically***.

The reality is that very few of us use all the grip available when braking. I sure as hell don't! My ABS almost never activates with Michelin PSS. Maybe I'm a wuss, right?

I literally melted a set of HP+ at a hard braking track. It was tough to get the melted pad off the wheel. They dust very badly, and the dust seems corrosive. They squeal like crazy on the street, too. Avoid these pads (I've never tried the DTCs, but everything I've heard is good). At the same track, the stock pads faded pretty badly, but never scared me, I just slowed down, there's no trophy for crashing.

I love Carbotech brakes. I had basically no fade, even from the xp8s. Yes, they are noisy on the street. Yes, they dust up. I'll take it for the performance. I'd go xp12, xp10.