Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Upgrade Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Tires & Suspension are the most important mods, in my opinion. More grip = more fun to me.

I'd recommend Strange 10-way shocks & struts and UPR/Eibach Pro Lowering Springs.

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-shock-05.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-05.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-05.html
Old 02-11-2014, 10:15 PM
ColinW627
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokievol
Look at your tires first, then look at your tires again.
Plus at 87,000 how long are you going to keep your sixer.
I had one and they are fun, but what are your goals?

I have a V8 and will keep it till I die....so any and all upgrades make it worth it.
Considering I just dropped over a grand on wheels and tires probably at least a few more years. More likely than not like 3-5 more years. At that point I'm buying a GT.

In the meantime it's a hobby and passion to work on the stang.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Don't let impatience control your suspension modification program. A "think twice, buy once" attitude as opposed to "I just gotta get this . . ." helps here.

I think if either resale value or good suspension function is worth anything at all to you, avoid excessive lowering. Just stiffer sta-bars, upgraded shocks & struts, and a performance-oriented alignment using camber plates or Steeda's HD strut mounts will give you a very good balance between improved performance and all-around daily live-ability.

Gratuitous picture, above mods only plus wheels (18 x 9.5) & tires (255/45-18).

I'll suggest getting the car up on a lift or on ramps and jackstands to evaluate the condition of the various suspension bushings, and consider replacing any components with cracked or otherwise deteriorated bushings. There are a few caveats if you wish to avoid clunks, squeaks, other noises, or unexpected handling changes resulting from aftermarket component substitution.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-12-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:52 AM
ColinW627
1st Gear Member

Resale value is very important to me and haven't even considered that angle. I have thought about dumping my old sixer for a GT for some time. If I get a GT within the next two years.. yes I would like my current car to have decent value to go toward the GT.

I'm thinking I will hold off on the suspension for now and evaluate it again down the road.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:08 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

If you're interested in reduced body roll, greater handling, and a cleaner look, I'd definitely do it. I had my 07 at 75k miles with eibach springs, the struts wore super fast. I almost had my hands on some koni strts until my car got totaled, but the replacement would have been well worth it. the spring/strut combo is cheap and affordable, only problem is that your comfort may be sacrificed. I would go with koni yellows since you can adjust your shocks to the specific spring rate. its a little pricier but if you have the money, go for it.

I however have passed all these ideas and am just saving for coilovers.. the coils are tuned specifically to match the spring, therefore increasing the statistical geometry of each corner of the car. I'm on a tight budget so im going with Kw's st suspension, for 1100. Theyre coilovers similar to the kw's only theyre zinc coated steel instead of regular stainless steel. They'll still perform the same though!
Good luck. these are just my opinions.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Some things to consider.

Take your time, ESPECIALLY right now because you might find that some killer shocks are more accessible in a few weeks.

Don't skimp on shocks. That includes assuming any adjustable shock is great. I like having damping adjustment, but I'd much rather use a well known and proven valving in a non-adjustable than a not very good adjustable shock (like those that don't change the oil flow through the piston but simple allow more oil to be shoved away to the outer chamber, as an example. Another would be a non gas charged shock (prone to shock fade and less consistent performance).

Also consider WARRANTY, and warranty service. It matters.

The most common complaints about how the cars "feel" comes down to lousy shocks (both stock and with some aftermarket ones). Parts do jobs, you want the best parts to do the job you want done. If the biggest complaints are damping related you want to address the dampers before other stuff you often hear that you "need to have".
Old 02-13-2014, 12:11 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Some things to consider.

Take your time, ESPECIALLY right now because you might find that some killer shocks are more accessible in a few weeks.
I'm watching your website.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:59 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Don't let impatience control your suspension modification program. A "think twice, buy once" attitude as opposed to "I just gotta get this . . ." helps here.
Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Some things to consider.

Listen to these two gentlemen. They know more than most of us will in several lifetimes. All their advice is proven at the track...where it counts.

Sharad too
Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 AM
ccaron

Originally Posted by JThor
I'm watching your website.
Ditto. I think THIS is the year...
Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Tires & Suspension are the most important mods, in my opinion. More grip = more fun to me.

I'd recommend Strange 10-way shocks & struts and UPR/Eibach Pro Lowering Springs.

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-shock-05.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-05.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-05.html
I haven't heard of these since I've been researching shocks struts. Give me more info or reviews on these. I'm on SR springs and I'd like my dd to be a good street car for the road too.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade Worth It?