Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Watts and relocationg brackets.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:26 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Default Watts and relocationg brackets.

I'm finally tearing my rear suspension apart for Watts link, control arms, konis, and sway bar. Question is, the guy I got my arms and sway bar also threw in relocation brackets. Are these necessary with a watts link?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:18 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

The relocation brackets are to bring the lower control arms back into proper orientation when ride height is lowered. Has nothing to do with running panhard vs watts link.

As to whether they are necessary or not, depends on how your car responds to being lowered. If lowering the car introduces wheelhop issues, then relocation brackets may help reduce or eliminate those issues.

In my case, I'm having considerable wheelhop issues at stock rideheight. I'll be lowering the car in the Spring, and I'm waiting to see how that affects the problem. It most likely will only make it worse, or not affect it at all, but it's possible it'll help reduce it. Not every car responds to mods in the same way.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:17 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

So I've had the Whiteline Watts installed for a bit now but the other day I was cycling the suspension and noticed the propeller shaft and swing arms bolt are hitting the drop arm bracket brace. When the brace is torqued down you can see it bow a bit towards the diff.

I called Whiteline today and they told me with the Sportlines and a stock UCA I'll need to get an adj. UCA.

You think that this will be enough to fix this? I mean an adj. UCA may only move the diff a few degrees at the most.

I might try and remove the relocation brackets for the LCAs to see if the axle moves forward a bit first before getting an adj UCA.

Any else have the Whiteline Watts? Do the bolt heads come that close to the brace?

TIA
Attached Thumbnails Watts and relocationg brackets.-photo-1.jpg   Watts and relocationg brackets.-photo-2.jpg   Watts and relocationg brackets.-photo-3.jpg   Watts and relocationg brackets.-photo-4.jpg  
Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

My bolt heads are pretty darn close to the cross brace but do not actually hit it. Maybe try to space the brace out a little with some washers?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:16 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I did try and put some washers behind the brace at the drop bracket and the passenger side factory loc. As soon as I'd tighten the passenger side bolt, not even to 130ft/lbs, the brace would actually bow even closer to the diff. Much like you see in the pics.

I did just get an email back from whiteline a bit ago. They got these same pictures.

They basically said their kit wasn't design with cars lower than 1" and could potentially bind. They couldn't believe the sport lines lowered it this much. They said the adj. uca could help with the clearance but it still has the potential to bind.

If you see how the brace end in the picture of the passenger side how it doesn't square up perfectly?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

I have a fays2 watts link and do not have relocation brackets. That being said, Sam's rear sway bar is listed as not being compatible with said brackets, and looking at the geometry, I can see why.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:16 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Well this is a whiteline watts and the Steeda sway bar fits perfectly.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

I am pretty sure that Vorschlag uses relocation brackets and a whiteline watts link on their 2011 GT that is built for NASA TT3. They may have some advice on their build thread on their website that can help you.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Thanks! I did have to end up putting some washers behind the brace's mounting points and it have me the clearance that looked normal. I'm also receiving an adjustable UCA today as well
Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jande063
I am pretty sure that Vorschlag uses relocation brackets and a whiteline watts link on their 2011 GT that is built for NASA TT3. They may have some advice on their build thread on their website that can help you.
Yea I read that build thread and it really surprises me Whiteline says that the Watt's isn't compatible lower than 1", since I'm pretty sure the 2011 is lowered more than that. I do know that they have the Whiteline relocation brackets, LCA's, and sway bar back there, so maybe with all of those pieces designed together it allows you to go lower? Either way call Vorshlag and ask them if they have a solution.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Watts and relocationg brackets.